93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/13/20 2:28 p.m.

So a couple weeks ago I got rear ended in my 99 Ranger. Damage is pretty minor bent up rear bumper and the spare tire well got pushed in a little bit. I had not noticed spare tire well damage until I needed a spare tire after I got a flat and found that a wire clip had been shoved through the spare tire. My plan was to take the payout and to just get a junkyard bumper and smack the rear tire well with a hammer until it was kind of the right shape. Here is the part I need help on I have a quote for the bumper replacement and that is what Travelers said they were going to pay out originally. Then I found the additional damage before I got the money from Travelers so I called them and said take it to the shop and they will do a supplement. However the shop says they can't do that unless I give them the truck to fix. How do I get the additional money I would be owed for the damage beyond the bumper?  

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/20 3:12 p.m.

Take it to a different shop for a quote on the complete repair?

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/20 3:14 p.m.

Different shop, that shop is trying to scam you.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
11/13/20 3:27 p.m.
EvanB (Forum Supporter) said:

Take it to a different shop for a quote on the complete repair?

Yeah, shop #1 has invested the time into writing a quote.  They want to assure that the money will get spent with them.  They can very easily get Travelers to pay more now that they have found more  but that shops first goal it to get the money spent with them, not help you pocket a bigger check (and not spend with them.)  

If Travelers does not have you committed to going to that shop #1, try contacting a shop #2 for a second opinion, like you are shopping around to find the best shop to do your work.  If shop #2 writes a bigger estimate of damage cost then you might be able to use that paperwork from shop #2 to get Travelers to produce you a bigger check.  

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/13/20 4:17 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

Different shop, that shop is trying to scam you.

No, they aren't.

I can't offer advice on this one because of the company involved. Where's our other resident auto claim guy?

No Time
No Time SuperDork
11/13/20 4:24 p.m.

Did you call travelers and let them know what the shop said about the supplement?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mU7MHcatVGVcsgKzTkJif4n5ETJm6gqQYXYZBjKl1msN4ksl7jKRq7UcWdrsTzsl