1 2
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/25/19 1:27 p.m.

I need a briefcase. Or a messenger bag. Or a murse.

I am a Ranger for the Woodlands group at our local Trail Life troop. I keep paperwork for attendance, calendars, stickers, lesson plans, permission slips etc. 

I am a deacon at church. I keep paperwork for meeting minutes, hit lists, project estimates, reports, budget information, etc.

I have some weird health issues in my family. I keep some medical records, prescription information, important stuff.

I have a terrible memory. I need to write down everything I need to do on a certain day (pick up Tunakid #1 here at X:00, grab some probiotics for Tunawife at lunch) and such.

I keep bills and such handy until paid. Tunawife doesn't enjoy seeing them sit around, so I cart them to work and handle them during lunch.

I keep an overloaded plastic folder in a backpack, and a simple wound planner. It's getting tedious.

What's the right solution? A tablet with a scanning app? A messenger bag filled with an 80's Trapper Keeper? Run for the woods and hope nobody finds me? The only other stuff I routinely bring are snacks for missing meals by surprise, my lunch, some coffee, and pens and paper.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/19 1:57 p.m.

Wait, deacons keep hit lists?

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
11/25/19 1:59 p.m.

Start carrying a tablet to keep track of everything?

Or a laptop?

Just use your phone and one of the many record/notekeeping apps that are available?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/25/19 2:18 p.m.

and a simple wound planner.

Wait, you are so busy that you have to schedule your injuries?  Not me...I just walk out into the shop any old time and wait for a power tool or random scrap of rusty steel to assault me...no appointment needed!

Dude, you need to pare the list, not organize it!

Pete

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/25/19 2:26 p.m.

Evernote. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/25/19 2:26 p.m.
FuzzWuzzy said:

Start carrying a tablet to keep track of everything?

Or a laptop?

Just use your phone and one of the many record/notekeeping apps that are available?

No go. I need to write on stuff. I could maybe stomach a tablet and stylus, but the phone is an insufficient note keeping solution.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/25/19 2:27 p.m.
Patrick said:

Wait, deacons keep hit lists?

Depends on how much of a pain you are.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/25/19 2:27 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Evernote. 

Maybe, but I need a thing to put it on. Not the phone.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/25/19 2:46 p.m.

I know what you mean. My dad always carried this horrible beat up cardboard file carrier that closed with a paper flap over the top and an elastic closure strap. I've never tried to look for anything more stylish and practical, but I'm sure they exist. It looked like this, but made in the 70s and used for 30 years:

Turns out they're called "expanding files." Maybe there's a leather or nylon messenger bag that has one built in, or maybe you could get a messenger bag with a big enough pocket and put an expanding file in it?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/25/19 2:50 p.m.

So there's this:

https://www.amazon.com/Messenger-Briefcase-Waterproof-Expanding-Folder-Tote-Holder-Laptop/dp/B07G1ZVCSP

Only $30 and has 7 file pockets and room for a laptop. Maybe use the laptop area for your snacks??

TheGloriousW
TheGloriousW New Reader
11/25/19 3:02 p.m.

Timbuk2 messenger is how I roll.

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
11/25/19 3:23 p.m.
dculberson said:

So there's this:

https://www.amazon.com/Messenger-Briefcase-Waterproof-Expanding-Folder-Tote-Holder-Laptop/dp/B07G1ZVCSP

Only $30 and has 7 file pockets and room for a laptop. Maybe use the laptop area for your snacks??

This looks like a good one. I'm very absent minded and forgetful so everything needs to be in my sight. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/25/19 4:11 p.m.
stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/25/19 4:41 p.m.

Used file cabinets are everywhere at garage sales or on Craigslist (or sitting for free out at the curb.)

eastpark
eastpark Reader
11/25/19 4:56 p.m.
TheGloriousW said:

Timbuk2 messenger is how I roll.

I was going to say the same thing. I've had my Timbuk2 messenger for over 10 years now. Rugged, simple and waterproof. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/19 5:59 p.m.

I feel your pain, before I went paperless I had to write everything down, mostly because that is how my brain remembered things. My suggestions is not to overthink it. I used 9.5 x 6 spiral-bound notebooks. I wrote everything down, and checked them off once completed. That gave me a record of all old notes, and that made sure that I never lost or misplaced a note. (Avoid Post-It Notes!) Once the notebook was full, it went in a box and I started a new one. If you need to keep other papers with it, keep the notebook in a keeper with a zipper.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
11/25/19 6:33 p.m.

I use 1" white binders and put notes on a pad and transfer the notes to the binders.  

I'm a deacon that doesn't keep hit lists and I carry these a lot for all the meetings since I'm currently the clerk.  I have a health binder and a financial binder too.  

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/26/19 7:18 a.m.

OK I bought a Timbuk2 based on your recommendations and the sale last night. Thanks for that!

Now, what do I physically put the papers in? I like the expanding files that dculberson recommended, but I  think I may need to keep the things separate, as some can get quite large. Has anyone successfully put their stuff on a tablet with a notetaking app without losing functionality? I want to be able to take notes, highlight, marl up, scan on the fly, etc.

Other than that, I am liking the idea of a three ring binder with folders. It's just big and clunky

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/26/19 7:19 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I use 1" white binders and put notes on a pad and transfer the notes to the binders.  

I'm a deacon that doesn't keep hit lists and I carry these a lot for all the meetings since I'm currently the clerk.  I have a health binder and a financial binder too.  

I hope everyone knows, but I will clarify, the hit list is for things we have to address. Congregants with financial issues, people needing visits, things wrong with the building, you know, God's mercy ministry.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/26/19 10:28 a.m.
dculberson said:

I know what you mean. My dad always carried this horrible beat up cardboard file carrier that closed with a paper flap over the top and an elastic closure strap. I've never tried to look for anything more stylish and practical, but I'm sure they exist. It looked like this, but made in the 70s and used for 30 years:

Turns out they're called "expanding files." Maybe there's a leather or nylon messenger bag that has one built in, or maybe you could get a messenger bag with a big enough pocket and put an expanding file in it?

"Accordian folder" is what you are looking for there. 

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
11/26/19 2:06 p.m.

Sounds like most of it could/should go in a file cabinet at home. Or a set of binders on a bookshelf.For security if not convenience.

A phone app for (repeatable) daily tasks, and a notebook to carry for writing. I'm the same way, I like to write it down and see it.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/26/19 2:37 p.m.

Messenger's briefcase.

Pete

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/26/19 2:53 p.m.

I carry a briefcase with a small expanding file in it for paperwork and a medium size notebook. I write in the book constantly for meetings, events, and incidents. When the book is full it goes on a shelf in my locker.  Anything that needs to be shared gets typed up when I get back to the office. I tried an iPad but I do much better with paper and pen. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/26/19 3:36 p.m.

In reply to llysgennad :

This is the stuff I have to take with me everywhere. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
11/26/19 4:29 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I know - just messing with ya bro.  

We have two locations and three buildings.   ALWAYS some building issue.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vT6QFygcFnzr8j2VXQNvzQBbQJArJ6XcPhbR1Yxk1gAU1oa9I185ghTlMFCDh8h8