914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/18/18 7:56 a.m.

I've only got two credit cards, one is "the every day card" the other is for emergencies, big ticket items and Christmas shopping.  Used the every day card for a $13 purchase, "Invalid".  Never seen that one before, neither has the clerk.  Called the card company and they closed it down for an irregular use, a $74 Uber ride.    Thank you !!!

A few years ago someone in Brooklyn got a 64 oz Coke, a Subway and a manicure on me.  Except for carrying cash around I don't know how the prevent this.

Merry Christmas I guess....

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/18 8:00 a.m.

I've started keeping some cash physically stored at home after my card got scraped, then the bank forgot to disable the card, then the guy went back and casually cleared out my bank account. Took many months to get that money back even though the second theft was entirely the bank's fault.

It's also good to have multiple credit cards for redundancy because a credit card is sort of an unpredictable timebomb. Fraudulent charges can come out of nowhere and effectively disable one at an inconvenient time.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/18/18 8:02 a.m.

No way to prevent it. Well, actually the banks are using software that prevents real issues--remember, despite all the measures that are put in place often the only thing that can be done is to react. This is why you use a credit card--you're NOT paying for a $74 uber ride. 

As to how far you can get, I've gone from Atlantic City to Philly and it was about $90. 14 miles from Chicago to the suburb I live in was about $45. I've also had a 4 mile trip cost $50--depends on the time of day, if there is surge pricing going on, etc.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/18/18 8:10 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

I've started keeping some cash physically stored at home after my card got scraped, then the bank forgot to disable the card, then the guy went back and casually cleared out my bank account. Took many months to get that money back even though the second theft was entirely the bank's fault.

It's also good to have multiple credit cards for redundancy because a credit card is sort of an unpredictable timebomb. Fraudulent charges can come out of nowhere and effectively disable one at an inconvenient time.

How many banking options do you have? Do you have any US or Canadian based options? 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/18 8:15 a.m.
mtn said:
GameboyRMH said:

How many banking options do you have? Do you have any US or Canadian based options? 

Actually both of those incidents were with Canadian-based banks, at least one of which has since been sold to a Trinidad-based company.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
12/18/18 9:01 a.m.

Yep, this is why you use credit cards instead of debit cards.  I've had great customer service from credit cards the (3) times now they have been compromised over the past ten years.  Just use a different one for a week until the new one comes in the mail, and go through the PITA of changing any automatic charges.  On the other hand, lots of horror stories about people having their bank account being emptied or locked down for a few days because the debit card got compromised.

P.S. remember to pay them off in full each month :)

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/18/18 9:10 a.m.

Oh, and FWIW, this is why I have multiple credit cards. I basically only use 2 of them (one for travel, one for most everything else, I can combine their points) but I have 4 cards--just in case. My parents asked why I have so many, and didn't get it until they went to swipe their card and it was denied due to fraud occurring at the same time three states away. Card denied, and they had to use cash--luckily they had enough on them.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/18/18 9:48 a.m.

It's almost a way of life these days.  The good news is, the banks are really on top of it.  The last couple of times it's happened the CC company has called us within an couple of hours of the scum trying to use the cards and asked if we'd made several small purchases that their system has flagged as suspicious and new cards and new numbers were on their way to us within 2-4 hours.

Now, you want to talk about a PIA, let's talk having your SS# stolen and someone filing false tax returns under your name!

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
12/18/18 9:52 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

$50 for a 4 mile ride??!!  I hope it came with a happy ending for that kind of abuse.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/18/18 9:59 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

In reply to mtn :

$50 for a 4 mile ride??!!  I hope it came with a happy ending for that kind of abuse.

Downtown Chicago. Had a jumper on the tracks on the El (thankfully, I think the person survived in this situation), so normal route was out of service. I was with my boss who was nursing a twisted ankle, so we didn't want to walk, and ultimately just decided to take an uber since we couldn't find a cab. Surge pricing was in operation, I think there was a Bulls game and a Cubs playoff game at the same time.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
12/18/18 10:50 a.m.

I paid $68 to get from the Cleveland airport up to a resort on the lake - about an hour drive.  Highest I've ever seen was in DC when a hard rain hit just as the dinner cruises were emptying out. The 10 mile back to our hotel was going to be over $120 due to surge pricing. Lyft got us there for $20.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
12/18/18 10:58 a.m.

Please don't use debit cards, people. 

Credit cards and a touch of self-discipline are much safer.

https://www.thebalance.com/stolen-debit-card-risk-315319

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XZQTgk1nU5R0sLEuODKXTMt1Inzqf1Q3knIJqJ04TBQdM0U6SD2DOVASawbwKtfb