1 2
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/14/20 5:53 p.m.

Going to sell some of my antique outboard/boat stuff at a swap meet this weekend.  What sort of crap do I need to bring in order to be a good seller?  I've got some bags for the smaller crap, a couple easily visible sales tags, what else?  What do you like to see from your sellers at a swap meet? 

How much money should I bring for change?  

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/14/20 6:06 p.m.

That reminds me, Zephyrhills swap meet is coming up. 

Mr_Asa
1/14/20 6:08 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Go on....

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
1/14/20 6:27 p.m.

Actually price your items or tell someone what you want for it when they ask instead of the "make me an offer" b.s.

If the seller doesn't know what they want, the item isn't actually for sale. I refuse to play silly buggers with people who have nothing better to do.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
1/14/20 6:32 p.m.

Bring a book and a case of water.

Bring lunch unless you have relief and local grub available. I never count on food being available.

Shade and a chair and table, more tables if you have smalls.

Business cards and a notebook and pen to write down contacts. I have often needed to contact someone I met at the swap meet. Don't count on them having cards, or write info you need on the back of your cards and then give them away....

Write up a price list for your relief salesperson and to help keep you consistent.

Felt pen masking tape and notepaper.

Chrome polish and windex to clean parts, while not helping buyers.

A roll of Scott towels and some Fast Orange (no one wants to shake hands with a greasy paw)

Lay down old carpet or rugs or moving pads even cardboard, don't put your finery down on the pavement.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
1/14/20 6:34 p.m.

Know what you really want for each item , saying "make me an offer" is OK when you do not get mad when he offers ,$1 , but normally  people just want a price , 

Do you want to take this stuff home ?   If not then take any decent offer ,  not what it "might" see on Ebay for , 

Bring a good chair and shade , food and drinks , 

If you have a bunch of stuff that is going to the dump anyway , make a dollar pile , people love to look thru cheap junk !

Have fun , Joke around  more later......

have your stuff layed out quick , I often see people still putting stuff out 3 hours after the swap has started , 

and stay later than most , some people leave in the first  hour or 2 , you took the time to load up , spend a few extra hours ......

and keep the music down , and family friendly ,  no wants to hear gangster rap while trying to buy stuff.....

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/14/20 6:34 p.m.

Have a ton of singles, fives, and tens.  I find most folks stop at the cash station on the way in and only have $20's while they want to spend $3.   A ton of change is good.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/14/20 7:09 p.m.

Have some grocery bags (paper or plastic, depending on your wares) you can give to people to carry the stuff they buy.

Mr_Asa
1/14/20 7:13 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

If you have a bunch of stuff that is going to the dump anyway , make a dollar pile , people love to look thru cheap junk !

That's going to be most of what I have, I think.  Back in October-ish I cleared out some guy's shop who had a baby on the way.  Got two motors in a bucket (which the old boat guys seem to love) and a huge amount of half-disassembled motors, props, hoods/covers and other such things.  Looks like aluminum is about a quarter a pound right now, so for that pile I'll put a sign out that says that.

Dave
Dave Reader
1/14/20 7:55 p.m.

Price everything clearly and at a reasonable level. Group like items together.

Stampie
1/14/20 8:13 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Looks like Feb 13-15th. 

Mr_Asa
1/14/20 8:47 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Sweet. I'll be the bearded guy with the disgruntled wife trailing behind him.

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
1/14/20 9:15 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Actually price your items or tell someone what you want for it when they ask instead of the "make me an offer" b.s.

If the seller doesn't know what they want, the item isn't actually for sale. I refuse to play silly buggers with people who have nothing better to do.

Plus one million.!

Nothing is more infuriating than a no price table. Even worse when the seller is chatting or haggling  for 10 minutes before you can get their attention just to find out how far apart your ideas of value are. 

Stampie
1/14/20 9:34 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I'll be the bearded guy with the mini me minus beard following behind me. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/20 10:19 p.m.

I've been to the British car swap meet out west of Chicago a couple times (it's an annual event).

One year I went to scope it out and the next I went as a vendor.

Few things I noticed. It was all the same guys selling both years. Most were hobby "businesses" so everyone was trying to make a buck on an unsuspecting British car newbie, or promote their shop. I was trying to unload stuff, so when I was a vendor I was basically the only guy selling stuff. I priced things aggressively and if someone made an offer I took it. When someone stoped and waffled before even saying anything I told them the truth that it was all going straight to the dump if it didn't sell. You should have seen how many people turned around and came back and bought something after hearing that.

Essentially, the meet is the same group of people sitting around each year not really serious about selling anything (unless they find a sucker). As soon as I got the word out that I was a serious seller, I had a line.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/20 10:33 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to Stampie :

Oh, I'm sure that'll make you stand out.

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
1/14/20 11:37 p.m.
Floating Doc said:
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to Stampie :

Oh, I'm sure that'll make you stand out.

In the Milwaukee area, I told someone I was meeting at a local "bike night" that I'd be the tall, bald guy with a goatee, wearing a black Harley t-shirt... 

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/15/20 12:18 a.m.

If I see someone at a swap meet with something interesting, labeled prices on everything (can be negotiable/OBO) plus some sort of sun shade/hat/umbrella and it seems like they have small bills for change, I'm stopping to chat. Who knows, we might even have a decent conversation. wink

But what do I know?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/15/20 6:07 a.m.

Hey, I like old boats! Got anything for 70s Chapparal, V4 Evinrude, or trihull? 

I dont really NEED anything, but...

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/15/20 7:06 a.m.

Prices on everything.

Have a $1 box or tarp. That makes people stop.

Laugh at our jokes.

Mr_Asa
1/15/20 7:32 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

Believe it or not, but this group doesn't consider those old enough.  Couple guys might have some V4 stuff available, but most of the stuff they have is 1930-1950s.  Newest motor I'll be taking is a pair of '63 Mercurys.  I get ribbed from one or two of the guys I know well for being so interested in the "new stuff" and not having any pre-WWII motors.

Anyways, I can ask around for stuff if you want.  If you want to look yourself the club is international, and has branches in every state of the US, should be able to find a local meet.  Google AOMCI

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/15/20 8:48 a.m.

Grab bag buckets. 

When I have LOTS of misc weird stuff, I grab a bunch of 5 gal buckets and start tossing stuff in. I usually say $5 per bucket (but any price could work)

I make sure to have at least 1 thing visible of good value in each bucket (and a few things I just want to dump)

People like treasure hunts. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/15/20 9:09 a.m.

Grab bags/buckets 

$1-5 single items 

Prices prices prices prices on everything. If its make a offer ill low ball.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
1/15/20 10:05 a.m.

Be there.  Tend your table/booth/site.  If at all possible, bring a backup person -who can sell- when you have to hit the little vendor's room or scout out stuff for your own project.

I've had to leave meets as a buyer with money in my pocket because the vendor who actually had something I wanted and would have bought at his marked price wasn't there, and wasn't there every time I checked back.  

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/15/20 10:25 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to ultraclyde :

Believe it or not, but this group doesn't consider those old enough.  Couple guys might have some V4 stuff available, but most of the stuff they have is 1930-1950s.  Newest motor I'll be taking is a pair of '63 Mercurys.  I get ribbed from one or two of the guys I know well for being so interested in the "new stuff" and not having any pre-WWII motors.

Anyways, I can ask around for stuff if you want.  If you want to look yourself the club is international, and has branches in every state of the US, should be able to find a local meet.  Google AOMCI

oh, didn't realize it was an AOMCI show, I know about them. Yeah, older than I'm working on.  Thanks for the offer, but no need to ask around. As I said, I don't really NEED anything,I just figured if you had stuff you were trying to unload it never hurts to have spares.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bW93guyfRjhWWlIzxkKCA3My5H1RQMoQBmOWpPgN1BwhjjFhvoTfEDk7uhWkeevv