crankwalk
crankwalk HalfDork
12/4/13 7:42 p.m.

My girlfriend rides a 600RR and there is a book from the 70's I want to get her called "How to Be Sexy with Bugs in Your Teeth: A Motorcycling Manual for Women" by Trisha Yeager

I cannot find this thing anywhere! I found 1 copy on amazon for $400 something dollars. Not sure why?

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
12/4/13 8:11 p.m.

Alibris is showing one for $107, not sure what you really want to spend though.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
12/4/13 8:15 p.m.

I'll see what I can find, but it likely won't be cheap...

crankwalk
crankwalk HalfDork
12/4/13 8:19 p.m.

I probably wouldn't spend more than $30 bucks on an old paperback book. I bought her motorcycle stands as her REAL present and I thought this would be just a stocking stuffer. Yikes!

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
12/4/13 8:48 p.m.

I have found several coveted old books on either Ebay, or Amazon (who sell used books too - who knew?).

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
12/4/13 9:05 p.m.

My favorite site is Abebooks.com - but I just checked, and they don't have a listing for any copies of this book.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
12/4/13 9:11 p.m.

Whoa. Amazon has it, but pricey:

http://www.amazon.com/How-sexy-bugs-your-teeth/dp/0809276690

Bookfinder results, all outrageous;

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?st=xl&ac=qr&src=dir&isbn=0809276690&ref=bf_uu_fac_1

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
12/4/13 9:18 p.m.

That just screams something these guys have 3 of http://www.rarebooklink.com/cgi-bin/kingbooks/index.html

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
12/4/13 11:03 p.m.

For slightly easier to find stuff I usually start at half.com and buy an album or two while I'm there.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
12/4/13 11:12 p.m.

hit every Salvation Army and Goodwill store in your area..

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
12/5/13 7:28 a.m.

as an aside (just a small thread jack )

please help my google fu inabilities .. looking for an out of print album … so far I haven't had any luck finding sites that seem to have lots of choices

crankwalk
crankwalk HalfDork
12/5/13 12:02 p.m.

I guess i'm not sure why this book is so expensive? It sucks that its apparently some kind of collectible when I thought it would be a good stocking stuffer.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
12/5/13 12:13 p.m.
wbjones wrote: as an aside (just a small thread jack ) please help my google fu inabilities .. looking for an out of print album … so far I haven't had any luck finding sites that seem to have lots of choices

What album, and what format do you want/need/willing to settle for? Have you tried ebay, amazon, and itunes? A lot of albums that are out of print are still available in a digital format.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
12/5/13 12:15 p.m.
crankwalk wrote: I guess i'm not sure why this book is so expensive? It sucks that its apparently some kind of collectible when I thought it would be a good stocking stuffer.

Supply and demand. Especially cause it doesn't cost anything to keep it on a shelf.

crankwalk
crankwalk HalfDork
12/5/13 12:55 p.m.
mtn wrote:
crankwalk wrote: I guess i'm not sure why this book is so expensive? It sucks that its apparently some kind of collectible when I thought it would be a good stocking stuffer.
Supply and demand. Especially cause it doesn't cost anything to keep it on a shelf.

Right, but I'm surprised there is any demand at all for this thing. It must have been more popular than I thought but not popular enough to still print it. Weird. I thought it would be another $5 book I could get on Ebay.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
12/5/13 1:34 p.m.
crankwalk wrote:
mtn wrote:
Right, but I'm surprised there is any demand at all for this thing. It must have been more popular than I thought but not popular enough to still print it. Weird. I thought it would be another $5 book I could get on Ebay.

There clearly is demand--you. And the supply is probably near zero--most folks have forgotten they own it, or it has been thrown away or just used up. Very few folks think to just throw a book for sale online.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
12/5/13 2:52 p.m.
mtn wrote:
wbjones wrote: as an aside (just a small thread jack ) please help my google fu inabilities .. looking for an out of print album … so far I haven't had any luck finding sites that seem to have lots of choices
What album, and what format do you want/need/willing to settle for? Have you tried ebay, amazon, and itunes? A lot of albums that are out of print are still available in a digital format.

yes to all three of those …

the album is Child Of The King …by Ralph Stanley on the Rebel Label, released in 1996 …

if it were offered on CD, that's what I'd like .. but as far as I know it's never been re-released … so vinyl would be the choice

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/5/13 2:59 p.m.

Usually when I want a book, I steal it from the library. Fortunately the closest thing to a book I want is GRM and I've been hooked into subscribing decades into the future. Damn marketing department.

crankwalk
crankwalk HalfDork
12/5/13 3:48 p.m.
mtn wrote: There clearly is demand--you. And the supply is probably near zero--most folks have forgotten they own it, or it has been thrown away or just used up. Very few folks think to just throw a book for sale online.

Well to be fair, I just started wanting it. The demand must be larger than just me because if people are asking $400 bucks for an old book then SOMEBODY else has set that precedent. If I had an old book in my attic that I was going to put on Amazon I wouldnt start the price out at $400 unless I knew something others didn't.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
12/5/13 7:43 p.m.

anytime someone has a book in "perfect" condition the price is going to be way up there … especially if there aren't many examples around

I had been looking for a children's book ( Golden Books … called "A Pony For Tony") for several yrs … the best I found was $200 - $300 …not going to happen

finally found it in used condition for $10 … my 61 yrO brother now has a copy of his favorite book from his childhood

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
12/5/13 8:16 p.m.

Keep checking Ebay. I was on the same quest, for my favourite childhood book (Smoky the Cowhorse, by Will James). Took me years, but finally found it on ebay. Shipped - $25.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
12/5/13 8:16 p.m.

Keep checking Ebay. I was on the same quest, for my favourite childhood book (Smoky the Cowhorse, by Will James). Took me years, but finally found it on ebay. Shipped - $25.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
12/6/13 12:44 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Usually when I want a book, I steal it from the library.

I hope you're joking.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9C91V6ins3PdsdtyMl6D8C8NKe6qPzEkc5vOCb8y3waryXC0aEJq2KUocHANnSyc