1 2 3 ... 9
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/23/17 2:09 p.m.

Does anyone remember all of my XJ fun?

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/stupid-jeep/37692/page1/

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/xj-cooling-system/89243/page1/

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/xk-neutral-safety-switch/124155/page1/

Well she is living in it now, and has been for a few months. She has some anxiety issues which makes all of the normal homeless shelter options null and void.

She has $500/month and $0 security deposit. I'm willing to pay the deposit, knowing it will be gone forever, but I can't move her into my house, and I still can't find anything for her to rent.

What's the hot ticket?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/23/17 2:14 p.m.

Garage apartment or maybe a room for rent type situation? Those are typically much cheaper.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
6/23/17 2:15 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: What's the hot ticket?

Get a new nanny.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/23/17 2:15 p.m.

Most run down motels are actually monthly rental places. $550 should get you a standard single room. Seems expensive but includes utilities and no deposit needed to turn on utilities. Also no need for furniture.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/23/17 2:22 p.m.
John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/23/17 2:24 p.m.

Call a local homeless shelter or even a not so local one. They will be over crowded. Ask them about local or state resources that you may be overlooking.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/23/17 2:29 p.m.
Devilsolsi wrote:
tuna55 wrote: What's the hot ticket?
Get a new nanny.

She hasn't been our nanny for years and years.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/23/17 2:29 p.m.
John Welsh wrote: Call a local homeless shelter or even a not so local one. They will be over crowded. Ask them about local or state resources that you may be overlooking.

I promise normal channels are not an option for her.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/23/17 2:31 p.m.

Oh, cat. Forgot about that. Also gun, and won't part with it, which has messed up at least one potential place.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/23/17 2:32 p.m.
Stampie wrote: This CL search turned up a bunch. https://greenville.craigslist.org/search/hhh?query=greer&sort=rel&max_price=500&availabilityMode=0

nearly all require hefty security deposit

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/23/17 2:36 p.m.
John Welsh wrote: Most run down motels are actually monthly rental places. $550 should get you a standard single room. Seems expensive but includes utilities and no deposit needed to turn on utilities. Also no need for furniture.

How do you search for such an animal?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/23/17 2:37 p.m.

Admittance to a mental health facility. Not sure how to pay for that, but she needs help in more ways than finding a place to live and a security deposit.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition SuperDork
6/23/17 2:39 p.m.

My ex was in one of those suite-type hotels for years. I don't know what they cost on a monthly basis, but I know she was dead broke most of the time and she never got thrown out, so it couldn't have been much. It wasn't one of the fancier ones, of course, but it wasn't awful.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
tuna55 wrote:
John Welsh wrote: Most run down motels are actually monthly rental places. $550 should get you a standard single room. Seems expensive but includes utilities and no deposit needed to turn on utilities. Also no need for furniture.

Know any migrant workers, or possible illegal aliens? Ask them.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork

In reply to tuna55:

I'd start with looking for motels on google maps and calling them. These are not the kinds of places with slick websites. I have friends who lived in one for quite a while and it wasn't terrible. They had some interesting neighbors.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/23/17 2:43 p.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: My ex was in one of those suite-type hotels for years. I don't know what they cost on a monthly basis, but I know she was dead broke most of the time and she never got thrown out, so it couldn't have been much. It wasn't one of the fancier ones, of course, but it wasn't awful.

I am seeing 2-3K per month for the cheapest long stay hotel motels from the three minutes I spent looking.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/23/17 2:44 p.m.
mtn wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Know any migrant workers, or possible illegal aliens? Ask them.

no

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/23/17 2:45 p.m.
mtn wrote: Admittance to a mental health facility. Not sure how to pay for that, but she needs help in more ways than finding a place to live and a security deposit.

The two of us having simultaneous sex change operations is more likely.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
6/23/17 2:51 p.m.

Might be time to consult with your local United Way chapter and see what resources they know of for help: https://www.unitedwaygc.org/

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/23/17 2:54 p.m.

Are you a member of a church? Ask your pastor/priest/rabbi if they know of anything.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/23/17 2:54 p.m.

Find motel...

Call the shelters, they will know. This is pretty much the shelter success program.

Get a job, move out to motel.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/23/17 3:01 p.m.

She needs a place to pay something around $500 for each month and in turn have a place to live.

All other suggestions are very nice, but unhelpful.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
6/23/17 3:05 p.m.

Try a trailer park rental?

Campground cabin?

XJ, a tarp, and a YMCA membership for showers?

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
6/23/17 3:06 p.m.

You want something like the Camelot Inn. 20 Woodmede Way, Greenville, SC 29605 (864) 277-8430. I'm not about to call them and inquire after monthly rates, but that's your best bet in my opinion.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/23/17 3:07 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: She needs a place to pay something around $500 for each month and in turn have a place to live. All other suggestions are very nice, but unhelpful.

Look, call these suggestions. United way might know of some places. Homeless shelters may as well.

When my cousin needed a place quickly and cheaply, he called his priest. His priest called his buddy, the baptist minister, who's sister had a garage apartment for rent.

Churches have networks for these kinds of things. Try them. United Way does too. And so do homeless shelters. They don't want people there forever.

Also, call the motels and ask how much it is, if you haven't already. Talking in person may very well reveal a different story than what you find online.

1 2 3 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
84eRcY8hwmGUP0zdUjhctvNjREjSu3kJylKfAYejlcqfUP8EjfB4uYWUw1iXYY4d