1 2 3 4 ... 9
Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
6/23/17 3:15 p.m.

http://www.lowincomehousing.us/SC/greenville.html

Also, talk to your local social services office. A social worker will know the best local options and programs that she may be eligible for.

They do this for a living and are in your community and your taxes pay for them to do that job. Its time to use it, even if just for advice. I have dealt with some before for someone I knew, they proved extremely helpful finding a path for an impossible situation.

Seriously, pick up a phone and talk to them. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. They are the professionals on this type of thing.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
6/23/17 3:21 p.m.

I'll go ahead and address the elephant in the room: why is it your problem? You already went above & beyond keeping her car running, now you have to find a place for her to live? Is that $500 a month income based on blackmail?

Somebody has to be the dick, might as well be me.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/23/17 3:23 p.m.
slefain wrote: I'll go ahead and address the elephant in the room: why is it your problem? You already went above & beyond keeping her car running, now you have to find a place for her to live? Is that $500 a month income based on blackmail? Somebody has to be the dick, might as well be me.

Social security

Why is it my problem?

Because I'm very nice.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/23/17 3:34 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

And you have an online network of people willing to give you some insightful guidance.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/23/17 3:44 p.m.
cmcgregor wrote: You want something like the Camelot Inn. 20 Woodmede Way, Greenville, SC 29605 (864) 277-8430. I'm not about to call them and inquire after monthly rates, but that's your best bet in my opinion.

I did some quick googling and also came up with:

Sunset Inn 1403 Wade Hampton Blvd, Greenville, SC 29609
(864) 467-0038

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/23/17 4:05 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: http://www.lowincomehousing.us/SC/greenville.html Also, talk to your local social services office. A social worker will know the best local options and programs that she may be eligible for. They do this for a living and are in your community and your taxes pay for them to do that job. Its time to use it, even if just for advice. I have dealt with some before for someone I knew, they proved extremely helpful finding a path for an impossible situation. Seriously, pick up a phone and talk to them. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. They are the professionals on this type of thing.

Apparently she tried this. Eight year waiting period is what she found.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/23/17 4:08 p.m.

+1 to what Apexcarver suggests.

My small city has a surprising number of resources for homeless. It sounds like you've already done research and tried to place her, but it's possible that there are other options out there for her.

In reply to slefain: You're not being a dick, just giving the other side of the coin; nothing wrong with that!

I've kind of turned into a crabby, guarded, cynical 'get off my lawn' person from years of working with people, including being hit, spit on, had stuff thrown at me, been covered in various bodily fluids, etc.

I still feel pride when people try to help their fellow man without obligation. Sometimes it's appreciated, sometimes not. Tuna sounds pretty realistic about things, and I commend him for trying to help.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/23/17 4:15 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Apexcarver wrote: http://www.lowincomehousing.us/SC/greenville.html Also, talk to your local social services office. A social worker will know the best local options and programs that she may be eligible for. They do this for a living and are in your community and your taxes pay for them to do that job. Its time to use it, even if just for advice. I have dealt with some before for someone I knew, they proved extremely helpful finding a path for an impossible situation. Seriously, pick up a phone and talk to them. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. They are the professionals on this type of thing.

Confirm it.

Plenty of people say things don't work/aren't available/etc because they want someone else to do it for them.

Kinda like how you're asking us about the options you already know of.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/23/17 4:22 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Confirm it. Plenty of people say things don't work/aren't available/etc because they want someone else to do it for them. Kinda like how you're asking us about the options you already know of.

Mental illness is a very real thing, and I learn more about it every day, from various people. One thing I have learned, especially about this lady, is if she doesn't like it, she won't do it, so regardless of what I think, or what you think, or what we all agree is a great solution, if she doesn't like it she won't do it.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/23/17 4:22 p.m.

For the record, I was really looking for more of a "blah blah.com long-term rental site other than craigslist" solution.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/23/17 4:27 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Basil Exposition wrote: My ex was in one of those suite-type hotels for years. I don't know what they cost on a monthly basis, but I know she was dead broke most of the time and she never got thrown out, so it couldn't have been much. It wasn't one of the fancier ones, of course, but it wasn't awful.
I am seeing 2-3K per month for the cheapest long stay hotel motels from the three minutes I spent looking.

It's not gonna br the type of hotel that has an online presence. You're gonna have to go down to that stretch of old highway only the locals ever drive on since the bypass went through, with the third-string fast food joints and half empty strip malls. Then you're just going to have to size them up from a quick visual and actually talk to the day clerks.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/17 4:57 p.m.

How about something like roommates.com?

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
6/23/17 5:05 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

I know that's what you were hoping for...but as you've seen and responses here confirm, it's not going to be that easy. Anxiety issues, Gun, Cat, $500 per month asymptotically approaches the impossible...and I'm sure those aren't the only issues.

I have seen roommate situations work out for about this money. Find someone who has a larger house than they need, or wants to ease their situation renting out a room.

I've had spectacular luck posting "wanted" ads for stuff in the past. If I were in your situation I'd be posting on craigslist and facebook marketplace seeking a room for $500 all in, cat friendly. That's my helpful part of the post.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/23/17 9:08 p.m.

Ive stayed in a few monthly rate hotels in my life. The ones you want are usually cinder block with coffee can ashtrays by each door. Cheapest I used was 450 a month (or 125 a week) and a month was considered 28 days. These types of places dont have a web presence.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/23/17 9:28 p.m.

Ok, I don't know about where You are, but no one has ever asked me about a weapon. So maybe we be quiet about that.

As far as mental health issues go, trust me, I get it. I also know what it's like to be transient. Maybe not quite to her level, but I've spent time in a hotel. What a lot of these people say is true. Off the beaten path. Look for places that advertise kitchenette. Swmbo is also previously in this scenario, and she's lived out of an rv on a cheap piece of rv lot. Idk what an rv can go for, but I have to bet lot rent and hookups are less than 500$ a month. Scam an old mostly not leaky van frame and call it a day.

One thing not addressed- you. I can tell you care a lot. Its an extremely admirable thing. The one worry I have is being hurt if this goes sideways. You can do all the things in the world for someone, and if she ends up refusing and doing her own deal due to whatever, you're putting a lot at stake. Don't get me wrong, absolutely the world needs more people willing to help, especially the mentally ill. But the one thing no one ever talks about is....people need to be ready to help themselves. Anxiety is hell. I've got the burn marks to prove it. But until I was ready to deal It and move on, anyone that tried to help me was basically pissing up a rope. I don't want to see you be those people.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/23/17 9:42 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

Thanks dude. That means a lot.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/23/17 9:58 p.m.

Dean is spot on with his description.
There is also a good chance you've driven by the place 3 times a week for the past 10 years and never really noticed that it was there. Or, if you have noticed it, you might have wondered how it stayed in business.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/24/17 8:14 a.m.

In reply to tuna55: Anytime. I won't discourage anyone from trying to help...jist want to make sure you don't lose your ass in the process.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
6/24/17 12:10 p.m.

You two are in my prayers.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
6/25/17 7:29 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Confirm it. Plenty of people say things don't work/aren't available/etc because they want someone else to do it for them. Kinda like how you're asking us about the options you already know of.

OK, so hes talking about the program housing and getting on section 8 or whatever. Now its time to ask what the other people stuck in the waiting period are doing...

Contact one to SEEK INFORMATION. They might not be able to whisk the problem away right away, but like I said, they will have a better awareness whats available in your area on all the spectrums.

Also, check out that link at the top of my post, it seemed to have a site listing exactly what you are looking for.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
6/25/17 7:48 a.m.

This is a different world than the one I'm used to, but here are two anecdotes that may or may not be helpful:

1. When we were renovating my house, we hired some laborers on the recommendation of a contractor friend. The kind that knew a lot about jail and had to be picked up each morning and dropped off each night. One lived in a long-term motel that IIRC was like $600/month. I'm not talking about the candlewood extended stay or whatever it's called. It was called "Rollie's motel" and it looked like a good place to be very old, be stabbed, or be very old and be stabbed. It was in the worst part of town, too. There are worse-looking motels in the area, too, so I'm sure you could spend less.

2. After said renovation, I rented out my spare bedroom for a year. I rented it for market rate, which here meant $400 + half utilities with a $100 security deposit. My roommate didn't have a gun or anxiety issues, but I wouldn't have had any way of knowing before he moved in, and probably wouldn't have cared once he did.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/25/17 8:16 a.m.

What about a less then $60K house. Zillow returned 200 hits in Greenville area. 2 min of searching found this one.

http.zillow.com/homedetails/11000208_zpid/

110 Worley Road Greenville SC Recently renovated 3br for $60k

$500 would cover everything but utilities. Maybe she could rent room or get assistance for utilities. There are also cheaper options in the $30-40k range that could probably be all in for $500/mo. You may have to own it and rent it to her but if the $500/mo is from social security then it's guaranteed so there is little risk. If she gets back on her feet and wants to move you can sell it or continue to rent.

Toymanswife
Toymanswife Reader
6/25/17 4:21 p.m.

Income based apartments always have long waiting lists. The way around it is to walk in and say you have just been kicked out and are living in your car. In thise situations, it tends to get you to the top of the list. Her going back in once a week and asking for help will go a long way. They dont tell you this but it works.

jere
jere HalfDork
6/25/17 11:07 p.m.

She should move to akron, Cleveland,or Canton Ohio. For reference, I'm paying $630 a month to rent a furnished 3 bedroom house with basement, garage and finished attic in a pretty good neighborhood. I had a efficiency apartment that I paid $300 a month for for a while too.

Seeing how she has a gun and a cat she could find a house in the hood and have money left over. $5000 will buy a livable house outright. There are a ton of free housing, section 8... Income based housing all over here too not all the nicest places but beats sleeping in a car

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
6/26/17 12:29 a.m.

Issues, a gun, and a cat?
Any one of those alone is enough to throw some flags.
Good luck, I think this might be a futile exercise for you.

1 2 3 4 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ph4YF7yPMqrVUjRhXXOke4vojF4YBWZsxXa4A1VqNUU2VSDAGOGKOP7lzCIbnwtH