1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/26/17 9:37 a.m.

What about a camper trailer? Small enough to be towed behind the JEEP. Stay in a parkinglot, or on a side street for a night or two, and then pick up and leave before suspicion is aroused. Toilet might be an issue as to where to dump it, but that's what McDonald's is for.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/26/17 9:45 a.m.
nocones wrote: What about a less then $60K house. Zillow returned 200 hits in Greenville area. 2 min of searching found this one. http.zillow.com/homedetails/11000208_zpid/ 110 Worley Road Greenville SC Recently renovated 3br for $60k $500 would cover everything but utilities. Maybe she could rent room or get assistance for utilities. There are also cheaper options in the $30-40k range that could probably be all in for $500/mo. You may have to own it and rent it to her but if the $500/mo is from social security then it's guaranteed so there is little risk. If she gets back on her feet and wants to move you can sell it or continue to rent.

That's an interesting idea, though I don't really have a down payment right now. Hmmm

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
6/26/17 10:55 a.m.

A couple of good suggestions so far. My brother in law went through this as a recovering alcoholic, so I have some experience. The ones that make the most sense for her income are trailer park rentals and contacting local churches. You'd be shocked at many churches help with this type of situation.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
6/27/17 8:49 a.m.

Whatever you do, don't let her move in. Depending on the rules in your jurisdiction it may be the most expensive mistake you ever make. I made that mistake. It took years and cost me thousands to get them out of my own house. I could have been a back marker in Formula Ford for a season for what it cost to get them out.

Appleseed wrote: What about a camper trailer? Small enough to be towed behind the JEEP. Stay in a parkinglot, or on a side street for a night or two, and then pick up and leave before suspicion is aroused. Toilet might be an issue as to where to dump it, but that's what McDonald's is for.

There are people who live in campers or other vehicles in Wal Mart parking lots.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/27/17 8:54 a.m.

In reply to drsmooth:

Wow thanks for the advice!

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
6/27/17 9:49 a.m.

Tough situation. My first, gut response is to say, berkeley her cat, berkeley her gun- you've got $500 a month, those are luxuries. I know 4 legged friends and firearms arouse strong feelings in some people, but at the end of the day, if it's a choice between you living someplace and owning a pet/gun...well, that isn't a choice.

But she has mental issues. So...got it. Been there, dated that, glad I didn't get the t-shirt. They closed down a lot of the mental institutions so that's really the "homeless" problem- people with mental issues. Too instable to understand what they need to do or be able to avial themselves of any real help that's out there. It's messed up.

Unless she finds some super-nice and understanding roomate somewhere (I take it she has no friends or family?) a $500/month room rent isn't going to work out. The cat's going to piss somewhere unpleasant, or she's going to fly off the handle...even if she keeps the gun a secret...holy berkeley, a mentally unstable person with a firearm! That's...not going to end well. She doesn't sound like the time to share living space with most people amicably.

The non-internet cinder block hotel that you find in Berea or wherever is likely about the best you can do. Mrs. VCH and I have stayed in totally sketchy motels for $30 a night. I'm sure if we'd needed a place for a month they'd have gone cheaper. Usually those places are full of empty rooms.

Or the travel trailer option. Mobile home park? There's lots of them down your way, as I recall. Might be able to get ground rent somewhere for $200-$300 a month and plunk down some well-depreciated old travel trailer.

Does she have any (legal, moral) skills? Possibly trade lodging somewhere for groundskeeping, or cleaning, or ??? Some state parks give free campsites to camp stewards. She would basically have to be custodian for the campground. Could she handle that?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/27/17 9:59 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse:

The thing is, it totally is a choice, and she's made it, hence living in the Jeep.

I'm trying to see if I can sweeten the pot to make her rethink her choice.

So far, I can't. A seedy motel will just put her back in the Jeep.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
6/27/17 10:36 a.m.

It sounds like a whole lot of treating the symptoms. She needs help with the mental health issues, all the other bullE36 M3 will start to straighten out in her life then.

I think all of the viable options have been laid out here. Present them to her. If she likes one and wants assistance you can decide if you want to provide it. If she has some reason why none of these are good enough then back the berkeley out, you have already surpassed your obligations. Seriously, get yourself out of this mess.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/27/17 10:42 a.m.
gearheadmb wrote: It sounds like a whole lot of treating the symptoms. She needs help with the mental health issues, all the other bullE36 M3 will start to straighten out in her life then. I think all of the viable options have been laid out here. Present them to her. If she likes one and wants assistance you can decide if you want to provide it. If she has some reason why none of these are good enough then back the berkeley out, you have already surpassed your obligations. Seriously, get yourself out of this mess.

I'm not really the "get out of the mess..." kind of person.

She's elderly, stubborn, and a good friend.

I have lots of great friends who make terrible choices. Mental illnesses stink, and they make logic very hard to use.

When I moved her out of her house and into the Jeep, I had to fight from putting decades old calendars into storage (the storage unit is super full).

That said I would trust her as much as anyone, it's not that kind of mental illness.

When she moved out the wife and I even offered to pay upfront the security deposit on an apartment for her, but she was resistant just to the idea of an apartment that the Jeep was a better choice. I am hoping time will soften her opinions and I was looking for alternatives.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/27/17 10:43 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: What about a camper trailer? Small enough to be towed behind the JEEP. Stay in a parkinglot, or on a side street for a night or two, and then pick up and leave before suspicion is aroused. Toilet might be an issue as to where to dump it, but that's what McDonald's is for.

She has no upfront cash, and a steady cashflow. This idea isn't bad, but it doesn't really fit just now.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
6/27/17 10:43 a.m.

You know, sometimes you just have to let people be. It doesn't seem like she wants to help herself, so any effort you exhaust yourself with goes nowhere.

I understand your compassion, but is it really worth it?

Brian
Brian MegaDork
6/27/17 11:08 a.m.

In reply to RealMiniParker:

You can lead a horse to water...

jere
jere HalfDork
6/27/17 11:10 a.m.

Another less than ideal option is crashing in a storage unit.

I have know a few people to go this route. Discretion is important (so as not to get kicked out so park the car and walk over) but it's along the lines of the camper, just throw in some cheap camping stuff from Walmart... cot cooler, propane stove, ...5 gal bucket And a light bulb to pronged power adapter... it beats places with bedbugs and junkies.

Certainly look into long term permanent help. It can take months even if all the ducks are in a row depending on the agency. I applaud your commitment to your friend. The "it's not my problem " mentality isn't the way things should be.

volvoclearinghouse
6/27/17 11:50 a.m.

I do get the helping thing...hope I didn't come off as too dickish. The lady who lives next to my rental house has been a friend of mine for a decade now. She's 65, and was a waitress her whole life (so, little savings, living off S.S. now), so when she comes to me with a problem I usually try to help if I can. She rents the house, and splits it with another older woman and her brother. Its tough, but they manage. I've mowed their lawn for them and fixed their cars. They all have kids in varying degrees of financial/marital distress.

Their current problem is their landlord is going bankrupt and he may lose the house that they are renting from him. I've tried to buy it (since it's right next door to another rental house I already own, it wouldn't be too bad) but its all caught up in all sorts of legal BS now. He could lose the house- and they could lose the inexpensive place they've had to rent.

If you could swing the numbers, and some how come up with the down payment, and wouldn't mind having her as a tenant...and you and Mrs. Tuna really want to help her...

volvoclearinghouse
6/27/17 11:52 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
She has no upfront cash, and a steady cashflow. This idea isn't bad, but it doesn't really fit just now.

If you're willing to front her money for a security deposit that you'll likely never see again, why not buy her a cheap camper that you could at least hold the title to?

volvoclearinghouse
6/27/17 11:54 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: I have lots of great friends who make terrible choices.

Hey now, no need to insult everyone here.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/27/17 12:01 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote:
tuna55 wrote: I have lots of great friends who make terrible choices.
Hey now, no need to insult everyone here.

I was sort of thinking of some people...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/27/17 2:13 p.m.

If she has no cash, where is the $500/month figure coming from? Did I miss the explanation(probably)? If she staying in her car, isn't that all profit? 6 months of $500 buys a decent, used camper.

What did I miss?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/27/17 2:19 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: If she has no cash, where is the $500/month figure coming from? Did I miss the explanation(probably)? If she staying in her car, isn't that all profit? 6 months of $500 buys a decent, used camper. What did I miss?

Social security

Food/storage/showers/mega gas for A/C on hot summer days for her and cat.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
6/27/17 2:47 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: If she has no cash, where is the $500/month figure coming from?

The rest of us.

volvoclearinghouse
6/27/17 2:55 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Appleseed wrote: If she has no cash, where is the $500/month figure coming from? Did I miss the explanation(probably)? If she staying in her car, isn't that all profit? 6 months of $500 buys a decent, used camper. What did I miss?
Social security Food/storage/showers/mega gas for A/C on hot summer days for her and cat.

Yowza. Sitting there idling the Jeep for hours on end to run the A/C isn't going to be wonderful for its longevity.

Then come more major repairs. More money she doesn't have. The cycle of poverty continues.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/27/17 3:03 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Social security Food/storage/showers/mega gas for A/C on hot summer days for her and cat.
Yowza. Sitting there idling the Jeep for hours on end to run the A/C isn't going to be wonderful for its longevity. Then come more major repairs. More money she doesn't have. The cycle of poverty continues.

Being poor is really hard

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/27/17 3:19 p.m.

Dumb question. Is There someone that can watch the cat during the day so she can go someplace like the library and not run her truck? 8 hours of idling can't be good for it, regardless of temp, and a broken jeep is the last thing she needs.

WilD
WilD Dork
6/27/17 3:25 p.m.

Is the $500 her total monthly income? She needs to feed herself and the cat out of that, so that really eats (no pun intended) into the potential housing budget.

Also, I may have missed this, but I assume she is over retirement age if she is receiving social security. Many cities have specific low income housing for senior citizens (and disabled). For example, the largest building in my small burb is such an apartment. This is generally not a cheap place to live, but I just checked the application on their website, and an 375 sq/ft efficiency rents for $389 per month plus $10 for a parking spot. They allow pets.

Go to google maps and start looking for "low income senior housing" and see what comes up.

There are answers here, but I think the truth is she does not want to hear them. As you said, she made her choice and that is to live in her Jeep for now.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/28/17 6:41 a.m.
WilD wrote: Is the $500 her total monthly income? She needs to feed herself and the cat out of that, so that really eats (no pun intended) into the potential housing budget. Also, I may have missed this, but I assume she is over retirement age if she is receiving social security. Many cities have specific low income housing for senior citizens (and disabled). For example, the largest building in my small burb is such an apartment. This is generally not a cheap place to live, but I just checked the application on their website, and an 375 sq/ft efficiency rents for $389 per month plus $10 for a parking spot. They allow pets. Go to google maps and start looking for "low income senior housing" and see what comes up. There are answers here, but I think the truth is she does not want to hear them. As you said, she made her choice and that is to live in her Jeep for now.

Just shy of that age.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0j5MprqwKEJdNtfYuQXpUozGVNaUVYpYTtlMu0IAJzrwajXhkHdwaRLOu76FWpsU