1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
jere
jere HalfDork
6/28/17 7:08 a.m.

If she's paying ssi money for food, then food stamps (or whatever they are called now) should be considered.

The agency that sets that up should have some other possibilities for housing and healthcare. Healthcare can also help if there is mental health issues going on (theres a figure that 80% of homeless have mental health issues that may be contributing to their homelessness).

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
6/28/17 9:58 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Being poor is really hard

No berkeleying E36 M3. If I could give one piece of advice to anyone, it would be "Don't be poor".

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/21/17 1:39 p.m.

I can't get close to the down payment on a place for her.

I got a call for a reference from a prospective landlord for her, but she apparently didn't like the guy and is now going to look somewhere else. Social anxiety has made her super picky and very difficult to get along with new people. Hence the Jeep.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/27/17 8:22 p.m.

Update time: jeep lady is without AC, without a vehicle which reliably starts, with a cat, living in the gas station parking lot. The bright side that she has an appointment tomorrow to see an apartment. I told her tonight that she Is to move in unless he is a serial killer.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
7/27/17 9:13 p.m.

prayers.......

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/27/17 9:23 p.m.

Thank you !!!

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
7/27/17 9:40 p.m.

you're a saint.....but still a sinner

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/28/17 7:11 a.m.
759NRNG wrote: you're a saint.....but still a sinner

Not a lot of people here understand reformed theology that well, but yes indeed!

We're really praying for her over here, she could be sleeping in a house tonight if she plays this properly.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/28/17 7:54 a.m.

Nothing like no ac in the middle of summer for motivation.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/28/17 8:04 a.m.
mndsm wrote: Nothing like no ac in the middle of summer for motivation.

I've posted about the Jeep many times before. It's bad now. Someone has added a CB radio along with a bunch of other stuff. Right now the power to the radio/CB/AC is hit or miss. I don't have the time or skill to power through an entire rewire.

Also apparently the neutral safety switch, maybe, is bad. Sometimes. It's weird.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
7/28/17 9:41 a.m.

Hello,

My feeling is that you are trying to apply your idea of what life should be like to her. If she wants to live in a jeep without a/c and marginal food options then let her. If/when she talks about wanting different then the options are well documented. We have a safety net for her to use but it comes with tradeoffs.

Another long term idea that also has some future use potential for your family. This is just one example of what is out there. There are more and less expensive options.

Tiny House

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/28/17 10:08 a.m.

In reply to Advan046:

Noted, though I promise that she isn't happy about this either.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/28/17 10:15 a.m.

In reply to Advan046:

Tiny houses are most definitely not a solution in situations like this.

She's still gonna need a place to park it, and they are illegal in many places.

By the time she pays someone to move it, pays for a lot, and runs into a few legal battles she doesn't know how to handle it will prove to be a big mistake.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/28/17 3:35 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
mndsm wrote: Nothing like no ac in the middle of summer for motivation.
I've posted about the Jeep many times before. It's bad now. Someone has added a CB radio along with a bunch of other stuff. Right now the power to the radio/CB/AC is hit or miss. I don't have the time or skill to power through an entire rewire. Also apparently the neutral safety switch, maybe, is bad. Sometimes. It's weird.

Yeah, I've followed the saga. The last time I owned a jeep that bad, I crushed it and used the scrap money to buy beer. But that's me. I don't recommend anyone follow my path.

Edit- I was reminded of something. I think it might have been...cleveland? Atlanta? Idk. Anyhow, big homeless community lived under a bridge. Moved along fine. One dude got himself a shed, a small genny, etc. Had a whole bachelor pad set up with scraps. I know a lot of places are starting to look towards communities built in a similar fashion. Sheds are cheap. Thoughan apartments are generally much safer from a weather perspective.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
7/28/17 4:10 p.m.

Shed. That might have been Sunnyvale.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/28/17 4:13 p.m.
John Welsh wrote: Shed. That might have been Sunnyvale.

A Shed and Breakfast! Careful though, Samsquatches try to break in to steal your kitties

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/28/17 5:33 p.m.

She is in a house tonight! She got a shower! Now to move her in sometime without getting stuck spending money on the moving van.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/28/17 6:03 p.m.

That sounds familiar.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
7/29/17 9:10 a.m.
mtn wrote:
A Shed and Breakfast! Careful though, Samsquatches try to break in to steal your kitties

Don't hire Corey and Trevor to wire the place.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
7/29/17 12:39 p.m.

Wonderful news T55

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
7/29/17 1:27 p.m.

Been following the saga, excellent result! Hope it works long term.

imgon
imgon Reader
7/29/17 2:50 p.m.

Nice work, hope the move in goes smoothly. Other than really big stuff maybe you can just bring things over in small batches in a car, especially if no time restraints on where ever the furniture is stored. Good luck

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
7/29/17 9:53 p.m.

AirSnB?

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
8/1/17 8:10 p.m.

All quiet on the homeless front??

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/1/17 9:36 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG:

Not really.

She's into the new place, but has ideas about a job and a cottage/house rental. The thing is that with her social and mental issues she probably won't be able to keep the job, and I want her to keep her monthly spend under what social security pays.

Also the jeep won't start and I'm out of state until Monday.

At least she has a shower and a bed. Thanks for asking!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uP8DSAo0TQoVfukXhj9nsAFnjHUtWuAxS1Vz4wjFYAVdZdFkTWNYtO6g8azNDb8B