dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/12/12 1:04 p.m.

Where I live there is quite a large dog population. The house I purchased was vacant for a couple years and I assume that the people walking there dogs thought it was ok to let the dogs due there duty on my lawn. I will qualify this by saying it is by the road and in particular around my mailbox. This has irritated me as I don't want dog piss on my lawn and although I have never found any #2 I have seen owners letting there dogs take a dump on my lawn and then pick it up.

One of the biggest problems is that dogs a creatures of habit and once there human keepers "trained" them to go on my lawn it is a hard habit to break for both the dog and the human keeper. I tried mothballs ground up and spread around the areas where the dogs seem to like to go. I even tried critter ridder. Both seemed to work for a short period of time but when I mow my lawn the effects of these go away.

I have even nicely asked people to please don't let there dogs to that but when I am not in the yard I can see them letting there do do there business as usual from my living room. Again I understand that dogs get in to a habit and it is hard to stop them once they .. . . well "get going"

So the answer was to first made up 4 of these with my color printer and posted them conspicuously at points where the dog traffic is most prevalent. I left off the part "until dry"

I then took my 5 gal pump sprayer and filled it with watter and proceeded to walk around spraying things. I did this a couple times a day last weekend and when I got home from work several times last week. I was even approached by a person walking there dog about the spraying and I told them I had what I thought was chinese maple mites in my lawn (I have two large chinese maples) The person gave me that. "Ohya look" and moved on.

Now it is funny to watch people walking there dogs literally pull there dogs away from my yard. Many are now walking on the other side of the street.

And yes I purposely take my watter sprayer out every now and then when a dog is being walked down the street. I found that most dogs are walked in the evening so it has worked out well as I am home from work.

Yes I am chuckling. The only bad part is I can not let my dog in the front yard but she hardly ever goes out there anyway as I have a large back yard where she prefers to be walked and she can do her business in the woods at the far end of my property.

Problem solved!!!!

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
8/12/12 1:11 p.m.

I have two of these patrolling my front yard (the dog not the guy). They tend to keep everyone and everything away from that strip of grass outside the front of the fence.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
8/12/12 1:14 p.m.

Poopshovel hates dogs. I expect him to chime in in 3, 2......

In the mean time, I'll offer an alternate opinion. I don't use the front lawn for recreation, and don't care if the neighbor's dog defecates there. The back lawn? It's fenced, and that's where my dog does her business. Not being uptight about this stuff has advantages.....the neighbor I was speaking of has given me some really nice sheet metal...almost enough to fabricate another entire car. I may use some of that metal to make a new hood for the datsun. (I warped the current hood when welding)

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/12/12 1:22 p.m.

For the most part the problem people are ones from quite far away. All the neighbors that are "local" are fine. In fact I consider my self lucky as so far I have not had issues with anyone around me. It is the ones that take there dogs on the 1 mile walk and since my house is on a corner of two streets that make a 1 mile loop around the neighborhood it sees a lot of people making the loop (both walkers, joggers and people walking there dogs).

I just thought it was amusing that by posting the signs and a little play acting the problem was solved and no ones feelings were hurt. Hell I was told be one dog person that they really appreciate my thoughtfulness of letting people know to keep the dogs off the grass.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
8/12/12 1:36 p.m.

firecrackers

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
8/12/12 3:26 p.m.

Had a neighbor who didn't keep his dog on a leash and used my friend's yard every day. I borrowed a bb gun from another friend. It was the pump kind and therefore the force could be calibrated. I carefully tested it on my own leg at a distance to make sure it couldn't hurt the dog, just scare it. It was a nice dog, she just didn't know better. It took a couple of butt shots just as she was in the process of squatting and she was never a problem again. She remained friendly and no one's feelings were hurt.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
8/12/12 3:54 p.m.

Put a row of mothballs right along the edge of the sidewalk. The dogs won't want to stop there any more.

BenB
BenB New Reader
8/12/12 4:08 p.m.

The people across the street from me used to open their front door to let their dog out (we have leash laws here), then they'd close it so they couldn't see where the dog went. They're "not from around here", and the couple of times I asked them to clean up after their dog, they pretended they didn't understand English. Since it's not the dog's fault they're idiots, I started picking up after the dog, then leaving the filled poop bag hanging from the door knob of their front door. Only took three times before they figured it out and started walking the dog on a leash.

calteg
calteg Reader
8/12/12 6:26 p.m.

I think the OP's solution is one of the more clever ones I've seen

nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
8/12/12 8:37 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: Poopshovel hates dogs. I expect him to chime in in 3, 2......

It would be easier to list the things Poopshovel doesn't hate.

My neighbors' dog craps on our gravel driveway, near our car doors. Even though we have huge yard and an empty lot next door to crap in it is always in the gravel. She is moving soon, and it's a good thing because my solution to this problem is likely to be...

Shotgun.

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
8/13/12 7:09 a.m.

Sprinklers, turn it on when the owners is letting the dog do its duty. The point is to soak the owner....

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
8/13/12 7:36 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: Sprinklers, turn it on when the owners is letting the dog do its duty. The point is to soak the owner....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
11TeOR5totYJOPpqTe8jruj252jwZFqFS1zY8R8Bie7h0PG0jNuay0rTr2USes5O