1 2
deannathegeek
deannathegeek
6/19/18 11:12 a.m.

Hi everyone! I'm Deanna, total nerd, new kid around here. All about my fandoms, reading, and cooking & baking. I used to love working on cars with my older brother when I was a kid, and with my boyfriend in high school. My second husband said it wasn't very ladylike, which pinged all of my self esteem issues, and I hadn't touched a car since. He's gone, but with my car falling apart I started falling in love with car repair all over again. I'm looking into doing my first rebuild in 20 years. My dream rebuild is a 1967 Chevy Impala, 4-door, V8 (because Supernatural). Hope to get to know some of you crazy kids and pick up a little more knowledge along the way.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
6/19/18 11:30 a.m.

Welcome aboard!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
6/19/18 12:16 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

Welcome aboard!

What he said.

Plenty of smart people on here.  If you have a question, ask away!

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
6/19/18 1:34 p.m.

Cars, reading, and cooking and baking do go well together ...

You're going to like this place.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/19/18 2:03 p.m.

You'll do nicely here.

travellering
travellering HalfDork
6/19/18 2:31 p.m.

Welcome!  Now we know your dream, what's your reality? What car do you have now that you are rebuilding?

In response to the miserable ex: What sort of lady doesn't know how to work on a car or enjoy driving?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/19/18 2:33 p.m.

Welcome, and another asking what the first project will be.  Curious minds....

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/19/18 3:30 p.m.

Welcome, looking for knowledge?  Well, we're full of it!  Break out the Visine, there's some eye rolling in your future.

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
6/19/18 3:46 p.m.

Welcome to the party!  

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/18 4:39 p.m.

Welcome to the party. Great bunch of folk here.  Should ask a mod to move all this over here. Great thread to get to know some of the people around this place.  

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/who-here-is-new-to-the-forum/108172/page1/

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/20/18 12:59 p.m.

Darn my phone!

I sent a reply earlier and it didnt go through, the short and sweet of it is:

The guy i sold my '66 hardtop Impala to is doing a venator (that's right, right?) build with his '67.  Complete with weapons  box.

If you need help along the way please feel free to hit me up and I'll put you in touch.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
6/20/18 1:48 p.m.

Welcome aboard as well!  No matter what kind of car you like or have, it seems someone on here has one now or has owned one previously.  Its a very diverse crowd!  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/20/18 2:15 p.m.

Welcome!  Always happy to have new users around here, particularly of the distaff variety.  Jump on in!

deannathegeek
deannathegeek New Reader
6/25/18 10:23 a.m.

In response to everyone's inquiries:

• I am currently not rebuilding anything. The plan is to spend the 2018-19 school year saving up money, then buying a salvage muscle car to rebuild. I'd prefer the Impala, but I'll go with about any classic American muscle car with a solid frame and little to no engine damage. I'll spend the 2019-20 school year fixing that up, and be done in time for my son to have my 2005 Nissan Xterra when he graduates, and the rebuild will be my car.
  • My 2005 Nissan Xterra is currently a project car, of sorts, considering all the work I have to do on it. Last night the gear shifter slid like butter, and it turned out to be the shifter cable bushing. When the part comes in, I'll fix that, then on to the catalytic converters, general maintenance, and some body work (some small rust spots and peeling paint). 
  • A lot of ladies don't know much about cars, unfortunately, but I'm hoping to change that. I've actually started blogging about my automotive adventures (momsfixingcars.com) and am helping several women at my office learn general repair & maintenance. I've also got a small arsenal of tools in the back of my car that just keeps growing, and the ladies at work (and some men) borrow them when necessary.

Thank y'all for the warm welcome-I think I'm gonna like it here laugh

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/25/18 1:45 p.m.

Awesome. I have two little daughters and hope to raise them with an interest in - or at least comfort with - mechanical things. I don't want them to fall into the prevailing "machines = man's stuff" mindset our society seems to push.

Good luck and I hope you get the car you want!!

Hungary Bill
6/26/18 6:32 a.m.
deannathegeek said:

In response to everyone's inquiries:

• I am currently not rebuilding anything. The plan is to spend the 2018-19 school year saving up money, then buying a salvage muscle car to rebuild. I'd prefer the Impala, but I'll go with about any classic American muscle car with a solid frame and little to no engine damage. I'll spend the 2019-20 school year fixing that up, and be done in time for my son to have my 2005 Nissan Xterra when he graduates, and the rebuild will be my car.
  • My 2005 Nissan Xterra is currently a project car, of sorts, considering all the work I have to do on it. Last night the gear shifter slid like butter, and it turned out to be the shifter cable bushing. When the part comes in, I'll fix that, then on to the catalytic converters, general maintenance, and some body work (some small rust spots and peeling paint). 
  • A lot of ladies don't know much about cars, unfortunately, but I'm hoping to change that. I've actually started blogging about my automotive adventures (momsfixingcars.com) and am helping several women at my office learn general repair & maintenance. I've also got a small arsenal of tools in the back of my car that just keeps growing, and the ladies at work (and some men) borrow them when necessary.

Thank y'all for the warm welcome-I think I'm gonna like it here laugh

The "Build Logs" section of this forum is an absolute gold mine when it comes to knowledge and motivation for big projects.  When you start your muscle car build be sure to start a thread, amazing things tend to follow (These guys taught me how to paint my own car!  and it didnt turn out half-bad!  I never never never never thought I was ever going to ever do something like that laugh )

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/27/18 1:27 p.m.

In reply to deannathegeek :

Welcome aboard!

We are still awaiting an all women’s team for a $20XX Challenge car!  (Hint, Hint)

(My daughter almost made it with a Yugo- Team Yugo Girl!!)

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/27/18 1:52 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

What about Smith College last year?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/27/18 2:03 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

Duh. You are absolutely correct. I blew that. 

Hungary Bill
6/27/18 10:54 p.m.

I'm still laughing at "Yugo-Girl"  laugh

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/18 12:05 a.m.
Hungary Bill said:

I'm still laughing at "Yugo-Girl"  laugh

Never saw that. Made me chuckle. Going to share that with my three daughter's.

deannathegeek
deannathegeek New Reader
6/28/18 9:02 a.m.

I am definitely not a Yugo-Girl; I'm all about classic American steel. However, if I had the opportunity to monkey-wrench around with other gearhead girls, I wouldn't pass it up. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/28/18 10:14 a.m.

Once you try Yugoslavian, you won’t go back!  Haha!!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/28/18 10:20 a.m.
SVreX said:

Only because it left you stranded somewhere

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
6/28/18 11:28 a.m.
mtn said:
SVreX said:

Only because it left you stranded somewhere

That was awesome!  Best quote of the day!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y0zNEJXQj7UAcqiSGCfBNX4V41EgT9pDb4Sc1Ho5jIsFsCN83SuFUyjAtkqZNdxI