1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
1/24/17 10:19 a.m.

My current phone is on the fritz and I've been looking at HTCs. Because of my plan, I can't buy through my carrier without upping my bill by 50%. Are the HTC One M8/9 still relevant, or do I suck it up and buy the newest HTC 10/Samsung Galaxy S7/other options?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/24/17 10:25 a.m.

who's your carrier? Plenty of non-carrier offered phones out there.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
1/24/17 10:27 a.m.

I bought a used M8 and tried to use it for a few weeks - I made the mistake of upgrading it to Marshmallow as soon as I got it and killed its GPS location services. While I had it, the phone seemed fluid and fast enough under Marshmallow, I don't think it would be too much of an issue to use.

That said, for close to the same price you can get a new Moto G4 from Amazon if you're a Prime member. Marshmallow out of the box, and a good implementation too. The G4 is a bit slow playing Pokemon sometimes, but other than that I've had no usability issues.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/24/17 10:50 a.m.

The Moto G4+ with 64gb storage has 4gb of ram!

Moto 4G+ with 16bg = 2gb of ram.

The 64bg/4gb version is about $50 more but that ability to get the extra ram is worth it.
Both accept SD cards of up to 128gb so for neither one is storage an issue but that exra ram will make your Pokemon (or multi tasking) much better.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/24/17 12:16 p.m.

Every HTC handset ive had (3-4 now) has been a raging dumpster fire of failure and regret. While my Samsung is not what I really wanted, (i wanted a nexus 6. Tmo did not have) it's hard to argue with its reliability and durability. My only real gripe is battery life, but that's to be expected.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
1/24/17 2:25 p.m.

"raging dumpster fire of failure and regret" is my new favourite phrase. Thank you. I wish I could say I didn't expect to use it frequently.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/24/17 2:39 p.m.

I've had both Sammys (GS4, Note 4, family had GS6 and GS7), and HTCs (Rezound and my current Pixel). I'd say the build quality is generally a bit better with HTC, but neither is bad. Sense used to be a lot better than Touchwiz, but Touchwiz has improved considerably. If you want the latest features and a kick-ass camera, go with a Sammy. I'm also partial to AMOLED screens, and HTC hasn't made too many phones with those. The other nice thing about Sammy is that they are so common it's easy to find cases and accessories, get help, etc.

BTW, you're sure to find anecdotal stories of horror and success with both brands. I wouldn't put too much into that, they are both top-tier manufacturers.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/24/17 4:45 p.m.

The only HTC-manufactured phone I've owned were my two Nexus 5s, and they both had hardware failures (the second was a warranty replacement of the first). The Motorola (original Droid), Samsung (Galaxy Nexus) and Huawei (Nexus 6P) phones all still work, modulo battery age.

As you can tell, I'm a fan of the Nexus product line, and if I had to buy a new phone today it would either be another 6P or a Pixel. :)

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/24/17 5:07 p.m.

I'm a current One M8 user that I got after my Asurion insurance couldn't replace my comparable LG G3.

On balance, I'm not really a fan. It's got a lot of bloatware that I'd rather not deal with (but I'd also rather not root the phone), and it refuses to recognize a lot of aux cables or headphones (meaning I had to download a sound manangement app and manually switch the audio output everytime I want to listen to headphones or the auxiliary input in my car). Also, it's a SERIOUS battery hog.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TMaT63fgDb2gPMWTVEv8TrXLU8h6xHVmaqunSvnR85NdvXHAnCPMvWIeyad86rJP