Duke
Duke Dork
9/19/08 11:54 a.m.

C4 introduction video. A must see, found by a friend of mine at another forum.

SupraWes
SupraWes HalfDork
9/19/08 3:40 p.m.

Nice, so what exactly is an electronically activated manual transmission. I thought it was just a normal one in there.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
9/19/08 5:33 p.m.

then there's the tempo... and Jackie Stewart. was he really hard up for money or something back then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54RNncn2qk8&feature=related

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
9/19/08 8:07 p.m.

no, he was just on Ford's payroll. What Ford says, Mr. Stewart does.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
9/19/08 8:41 p.m.

the 85 tempo must have been really cool, uummm becouse the 91 I had was POS. I mean base how bad a POS is off of that car...

Duke
Duke Dork
9/19/08 9:58 p.m.
SupraWes wrote: Nice, so what exactly is an electronically activated manual transmission. I thought it was just a normal one in there.

I also love how he's shifting the autobox shifter as if it was a manual, when it clearly has a thumb button on top of the knob.

MGAMGB wrote: Does the digital speedo read more than 85mph? I had a Tbird with a similar cluster and it would stop reading at 85 (as if that would dissuade anyone from speeding).

The early C4s stopped at 85 mph, I believe. They also had an endearing glitch in the display programming such that if you were travelling above 85 mph and happened to hit redline on the digital tach, the whole display would go blank green, thus leaving you completely at sea regarding your velocity and revs.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
9/19/08 10:33 p.m.

slick headlights, but if I'm going for a used C4, i want an LT1/6spd

what happened to pop up head lights, I loved those

daytonaer
daytonaer New Reader
9/19/08 11:20 p.m.
Duke wrote:
SupraWes wrote: Nice, so what exactly is an electronically activated manual transmission. I thought it was just a normal one in there.
I also love how he's shifting the autobox shifter as if it was a manual, when it clearly has a thumb button on top of the knob.
MGAMGB wrote: Does the digital speedo read more than 85mph? I had a Tbird with a similar cluster and it would stop reading at 85 (as if that would dissuade anyone from speeding).
The early C4s stopped at 85 mph, I believe. They also had an endearing glitch in the display programming such that if you were travelling above 85 mph and happened to hit redline on the digital tach, the whole display would go blank green, thus leaving you completely at sea regarding your velocity and revs.

The "button" on top is just the gear pattern button, its not a button but looks somewhat like one. The shifter is big and cheesy and does look like many auto knobs.

The "electronic" tranny is a 4+3 tranny, 4 speed manual with electronically engaged overdrive on 2,3 and 4th.

The bar graph display will only read 85 mph, the digital read out will go to 199, if the car could.

... You've never seen anything like this... before...

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/20/08 8:55 a.m.
Strizzo wrote: then there's the tempo... and Jackie Stewart. was he really hard up for money or something back then? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54RNncn2qk8&feature=related

He's British and had a car that ran in the rain, no wonder he was impressed. He didn't even mention the cool "loop de loop" abilities

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMTACdUc30g

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/20/08 1:07 p.m.
MGAMGB wrote: Does the digital speedo read more than 85mph? I had a Tbird with a similar cluster and it would stop reading at 85 (as if that would dissuade anyone from speeding). I had to push the metric button, which would register faster speeds and do the math. At 200kph it was too distracting to calculate more than three significant digits.

I had an 1985 Chevy that had the digital instruments. Above 85 mph, it would just blink "85", in order to safely distract you at high speed.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
9/20/08 1:14 p.m.

pop up headlights disappeared for the most part because of weight, cost, complexity, and aerodynamics. but they are just SOO cool.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ag42suwPwaPczAGV4d6RuHPy1P7rVivrmVJa4ld8s7ScZkZD7O0qtojcFongnDZz