1 2
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/14/18 4:16 p.m.

So, a few people know, but my regular job as a trained monkey at the restaurant supply shop I've been working at for two years has recently gone to hell. Were 80k under YTD earnings because of some stuff the higher ups are doing. As a result, I was more or less laid off. Like I still technically had hours,  but I was actually losing money on the deal, given my time and commute- so I volunteered to be taken off the schedule until they could at least give me semi decent hours. (It takes about 15 hours for it to be worth my VERY low standards). I gave them two weeks up front. I've been stretched to a third due to nothing improving. I was not given a solid answer as to why it was my salary being cut, when we know good and goddamn well who's fault this is. It's a long story, but regional management on up as been acting like a couple of monkeys berkeleying a football since they came on board. It's not good. 

In any event, I went to the friendly hardware store named after a card  one say, for some lightbulbs or some E36 M3. Saw a good old fashioned paper sign in the window. Said...eh why not, and asked. Was handed a PAPER application. Like the E36 M3 I filled out in high school. My printing has not improved since then. I returned with it, and was given the standard "we will contact you". Yeah, the berkeley you will. Blew it off, went back home to determine my future. YESTERDAY- they called me. Can I stop in? Sure- I even smell ok I just showered. Go in, have the second most informal interview I've ever had (the winner was the time I was asked if I needed to be interviewed,  I said no, and she gave me orientation dates, and got free candy) and go home. At this point I'm not expecting much. 3 hours later, they call me and ask me if I want to come in tomorrow (today). Lack of anything better to do, needing money to hitchhike to challenge, and well, paying for my kid, I gave it a run. As I was leaving today, they asked me to come back in tomorrow 9-6. Ok, sure. Technically it's a trial, but I am sort of gainfully employed again. Hardware is a new realm, and I have NO idea what I'm doing, but if I can fix a car,  I can fix a sink...right?

Edit- I forgot the best part. My commute is now....15% of what it was? From 40+ to under 10, and no tolls. 

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
9/14/18 4:21 p.m.

Congrats dude. Hope it goes well for you.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
9/14/18 4:21 p.m.

Congrats! I know too many people content to not work because the job isn't high class enough or doesn't pay 100k. Thanks for not being one of those folks.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/18 4:23 p.m.

Yep. 

That's going to be my next job should I ever get out of the door business. Part time at a local hardware store would be right up my alley. 

Congratulations!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
9/14/18 4:24 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

yes

Congrats on accidentally falling into E36 M3 and coming out smelling like a rose.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/14/18 4:24 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

Hardware store people are my people. Office people are not my people. Makes sense to be where I am happy, right? I like to use my hands and make stuff, not push buttons. Ok, I like to push buttons too, but berkeley some office politics. Too many people are hung up on a title to be happy. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/14/18 4:25 p.m.

Congrats dude, sounds like a good fit. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/14/18 5:01 p.m.

Congratulations. Sounds perfect. 

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
9/14/18 5:21 p.m.
Mndsm said:

So, a few people know, but my regular job as a trained monkey at the restaurant supply shop I've been working at for two years has recently gone to hell. Were 80k under YTD earnings because of some stuff the higher ups are doing. As a result, I was more or less laid off. Like I still technically had hours,  but I was actually losing money on the deal, given my time and commute- so I volunteered to be taken off the schedule until they could at least give me semi decent hours. (It takes about 15 hours for it to be worth my VERY low standards). I gave them two weeks up front. I've been stretched to a third due to nothing improving. I was not given a solid answer as to why it was my salary being cut, when we know good and goddamn well who's fault this is. It's a long story, but regional management on up as been acting like a couple of monkeys berkeleying a football since they came on board. It's not good. 

In any event, I went to the friendly hardware store named after a card  one say, for some lightbulbs or some E36 M3. Saw a good old fashioned paper sign in the window. Said...eh why not, and asked. Was handed a PAPER application. Like the E36 M3 I filled out in high school. My printing has not improved since then. I returned with it, and was given the standard "we will contact you". Yeah, the berkeley you will. Blew it off, went back home to determine my future. YESTERDAY- they called me. Can I stop in? Sure- I even smell ok I just showered. Go in, have the second most informal interview I've ever had (the winner was the time I was asked if I needed to be interviewed,  I said no, and she gave me orientation dates, and got free candy) and go home. At this point I'm not expecting much. 3 hours later, they call me and ask me if I want to come in tomorrow (today). Lack of anything better to do, needing money to hitchhike to challenge, and well, paying for my kid, I gave it a run. As I was leaving today, they asked me to come back in tomorrow 9-6. Ok, sure. Technically it's a trial, but I am sort of gainfully employed again. Hardware is a new realm, and I have NO idea what I'm doing, but if I can fix a car,  I can fix a sink...right?

Edit- I forgot the best part. My commute is now....15% of what it was? From 40+ to under 10, and no tolls. 

Congrats. Are you in Mn as your username suggests? If your close I always like a trip to a good hardware store.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
9/14/18 5:27 p.m.

Nice! Now next time you're working a E36 M3ty job do this same thing again before you've been riding it out for so long. wink

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
9/14/18 5:44 p.m.

Congrats Tom

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/14/18 6:16 p.m.

Man I'd love to get a job like that. I think the problem is me spending my paycheck at work. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/14/18 6:33 p.m.

In reply to drainoil :

I used to be from mn. For most of my life, actually. I have however,made my egress from mn and now qualify as Florida man in look and location, if not temperament and intelligence. Shame really, because mn was a relative grm ghost town til I left. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/14/18 6:34 p.m.
clutchsmoke said:

Nice! Now next time you're working a E36 M3ty job do this same thing again before you've been riding it out for so long. wink

I put up with a E36 M3ty marriage about 2 years longer than I should have...what can I say I'm a slave to commitment. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/14/18 6:35 p.m.
Stampie said:

Man I'd love to get a job like that. I think the problem is me spending my paycheck at work. 

Theres a whole power tool aisle. Fortunately most of it is craftsman, and I dont necessarily trust it any more than hf. Discount pending, of course. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/14/18 6:39 p.m.

I worked at a hardware store in HS and in Community College...  Great fun.  Love it.

daeman
daeman Dork
9/14/18 7:27 p.m.

Hardware stores are like toy stores for grown ups! Congratulations, hope it goes well for you

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
9/14/18 7:32 p.m.

Congrats dude, glad to hear it.  In 6 months, you'll run the place.

imgon
imgon Reader
9/14/18 7:37 p.m.

Nice deal, hope it all works out. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
9/14/18 9:09 p.m.

Kinda like a farmer and farming....I always thought that if I could afford it, I would love to work at a big-box hardware store.

Pretty much there.laugh

Pete

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/14/18 9:25 p.m.
NOHOME said:

Kinda like a farmer and farming....I always thought that if I could afford it, I would love to work at a big-box hardware store.

Pretty much there.laugh

Pete

This isnt even big box. This is old school. LowesDepot wouldn't even look at me .

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
9/14/18 9:35 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Same deal...I am pretty much at the point where I can live off a paper route, and a hardware store gig would be my dream job. Or I think so from where  I sit.

Pete

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
9/15/18 10:19 p.m.

Yay you. Great news, congratulations. 

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
9/15/18 11:01 p.m.

Some of us love the old-school hardware stores.

The one near me still has the big rotating bin of nails.

Congrats on the job, great news!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/16/18 7:14 a.m.

I miss old school hardware stores, and would LOVE to work in one. Congrats!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vHfBEI3rkTjj2Sz9TOjJlDvPvqU0XciJxnkCAkjeieCn0lfdnEYq93Vw25lc6Ijj