ratghia
ratghia Reader
4/4/10 4:49 p.m.

I now work at a Volkswagen/Audi dealership that leans towards higher performance cars. I am going to be doing oil changes and other basic maintenance jobs. I will also go and clean/detail all the cars on the lot once a week. The dealership has a lot of cool cars. They have an Audi S4 avant, GMC Syclone, and a Golf R32. It isn’t what I want to do for a living, but it should be fun for over the summer.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
4/4/10 5:02 p.m.

Good on you!!

There's more to a job than a paycheck! Feels good doesn't it? Be polite, professional, make contacts.

Good news for a change.

Dan

minimac
minimac Dork
4/4/10 5:12 p.m.

Holy cow! What's this kid gonna do with some cash?!!?

Marty!
Marty! HalfDork
4/4/10 5:16 p.m.

Congrats! you never know about the future though, I know of a couple dealerships that will pay to educate (i.e. ASE tests and certification) the right employee with a good attitude.

Make sure you make the best of those employee discounts.

ratghia
ratghia Reader
4/4/10 5:37 p.m.

He has already told me that if I decided to we can make it a more long term thing. I think I want to get a feel for it first thought to see if I like it or not. My first day it Tuesday. I am going to be finishing up the re-installation of the interior in a 1976 Z28 with only 9,000 original miles.

I also forgot to say that there is a storage unit with several Euro-Tuner feature cars.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/4/10 5:43 p.m.

lesson 1:

there is no such thing as a 1976 Z28 :)

ratghia
ratghia Reader
4/4/10 5:56 p.m.

I didn't know there wasn't a Z28 in 1976. The car is a 1977.

porksboy
porksboy Dork
4/4/10 8:05 p.m.

Weather you intend to make this a career choice or not learn every thing you can about every thing you can, car related or not. It will be good experience in your next job.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/5/10 10:25 a.m.

Like everyone else has said, soak up everything you can, even if you do not stay in the field things you pick up will serve you well later in life.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/5/10 11:09 a.m.
81gtv6 wrote: Like everyone else has said, soak up everything you can, even if you do not stay in the field things you pick up will serve you well later in life.

Quoted for truth. I used to work for a car rental company as a student and some of what I learned about the car rental business there has come in very handy more than once.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
4/5/10 1:19 p.m.

Congrats! I like detailing cars, it's satisfying in a zen sort of way.

Kia_racer
Kia_racer Reader
4/5/10 2:06 p.m.

Congrats.

Now if only I could find one.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/5/10 2:11 p.m.

What BS advice! Steal a cool car and head west young man!!!!

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/5/10 2:11 p.m.

Awesome! My first job, at age 16, was as a lot gopher at a Porsche/Audi dealership in Atlanta. While I didn't stay in the field, I learned a ton and still think of that experience fondly. You never know who you'll meet there, so, as others have said, be professional, courteous and eager to help out. As an employer today, those traits are unfortunately hard to find. If you display them, you'll go far.

And I'm with Lesly. I washed a lot of cool cars back then and learned how to do a mean detail. I dig washing cars.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/5/10 2:37 p.m.

if you tire of wrenching, look for a job in parts. Lots of great info at hand and you still get to see all the cool stuff in the shop. Make friends with the techs regardless!

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
4/8/10 11:02 a.m.

Hey Rat.... How do you start an automatic??? LOL

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
4/8/10 12:26 p.m.
Lesley wrote: Congrats! I like detailing cars, it's satisfying in a zen sort of way.

plus eleventy. I used to enjoy cutting the grass too, till we decided to build a house on the side of a freakin' mountain.

Congrats dude! Show up on time and always be busy. If there's nothing to work on, something always needs cleanin'!

ratghia
ratghia Reader
4/8/10 12:40 p.m.
sanyarcosean wrote: Hey Rat.... How do you start an automatic??? LOL

Hey, I got it figured out and back in the shop on my own. Now I just need to get better with the brake in an automatic.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
4/8/10 9:26 p.m.

Aaron I am just teasing you! I am very proud of you! I also think cool that you only drive stick so automatic is "odd" :-)

digdug18
digdug18 Reader
4/10/10 12:57 a.m.

which audi dealership?

Andrew

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Kl1uZF1TGfWZ09JmgpMmJvDqeq0jPbp7mZztQSLjQu1vF5ltdp9pVcDWOez2taoc