1 2
m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/18/17 7:21 p.m.

A group of us play basketball every at work, during lunch.

Today, I skied high for rebound, my left foot came down on a guy's calf and caught on his high top sneakers (wtf wears High tops anymore?)

I heard a really loud POP.

Manage to break the end of my fibula.  My fibula is now in 3 separate pieces.

Looks like I won't  be on my BMW GS anytime soon.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
9/18/17 7:27 p.m.

In reply to m4ff3w :

Meh, if it's your right leg it will be fine on the bike. The brakes are linked anyway laugh

Get well soon!

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
9/18/17 7:28 p.m.

Yet another illustration of the dangers of exercise - Wise people stay away!  Seriously, that sounds PAINFUL, hope you heal quickly and without problems. 

m4ff3w
9/18/17 7:30 p.m.
Huckleberry said:

In reply to m4ff3w :

Meh, if it's your right leg it will be fine on the bike. The brakes are linked anyway laugh

Get well soon!

Shifter leg :(

Hal
Hal UltraDork
9/18/17 7:31 p.m.

Hopefully it won't end up looking like mine.

m4ff3w
9/18/17 7:39 p.m.

In reply to Hal :

I think I remember you posting that 5 years ago when I broke my right fibula in amlost identical fashion.  

That one was taking the dog for a walk on bicycle, but fibula was in 2 parts instead of 3.

No hardware on it, hopefully same here.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/18/17 7:39 p.m.

Wait, high tops broke your fibula?  

Hope you heal up soon!

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/17 7:41 p.m.

In reply to m4ff3w :

How'd you get the dog to ride a bicycle?

Anyway feel better soon, that can't be much fun.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/18/17 7:43 p.m.

Yeah, that's an ouchie.  Dr.Linda broke that one hiking in Sedona with a puppy on her back.  She didn't need a whack, but you're gonna get one.  Tell Your Children.  Stop Basketball In Our Time.

m4ff3w
9/18/17 7:59 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

Yeah, that's an ouchie.  Dr.Linda broke that one hiking in Sedona with a puppy on her back.  She didn't need a whack, but you're gonna get one.  Tell Your Children.  Stop Basketball In Our Time.

A whack?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/17 8:03 p.m.

what' wrong with hightops? they protect your ankles. That's why I wear hiking boots at work.

Anyway, hope you get up on your feet soon, that has to suck

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/17 8:31 p.m.

That's not a ouchie. 

That's a Oh Berkeley!

Heal fast. Stay off the court.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
9/18/17 10:08 p.m.
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) said:

Yet another illustration of the dangers of exercise - Wise people stay away!  Seriously, that sounds PAINFUL, hope you heal quickly and without problems. 

Word...

Cats and dogs run and jump all over the place all the time and die at 15 years. Turtles live for berkeleyingever.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
9/18/17 10:53 p.m.
NOHOME said:
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) said:

Word...

Cats and dogs run and jump all over the place all the time and die at 15 years. Turtles live for berkeleyingever.

Truer words... my cats are by fur babies, but my turtle will grow old with me. 

Back on topic, get well. 

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/18/17 10:57 p.m.

Ouch, that sounds like it sucked. :(  Hope it heals soon!

As for high-tops, I've been wearing this kind for 30 years, not going to quit now. :)

ronholm
ronholm Dork
9/18/17 11:33 p.m.

Dang....    I had a friend who did the same thing.   It was unbelievable.   Jumped playing basketball and caused a compound fracture.   It was nasty.   I would have never thought it possible to just make that big of a mess doing something which was so normal for him.   

That looks like it hurts...

m4ff3w
9/18/17 11:35 p.m.

Thanks, everyone.  Have an appointment with the orthopedic doctor Friday to either get cast or find out if I need hardware.

The old school thought was that high tops keep your ankles safer, but that's not really the thought now. 

But they contributed to my situation, because my shoe got caught on an opposing player's high top causing my ankle to roll that much more.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/19/17 6:49 a.m.

ouch man...feel better soon. Hope you don't have to have hardware. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/17 6:57 a.m.

The BMW GS needs to be ridden pretty regularly or the Ferguson links and the Rohl injection will seize up.  I would be happy to take it for a while and keep it properly exercised while you are down.  laugh

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
9/19/17 7:33 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Your logic is undeniable.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
9/19/17 7:45 a.m.

In reply to m4ff3w :

Plan on being healed up by New year's day. Well do a new years ride to celebrate.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/19/17 8:04 a.m.

Wow, that's the suxx0rz.  I hope it's a good break and heals well.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/19/17 10:08 a.m.

If it's broke in 2 places, giving you 3 pieces, you're gonna get surgery, AKA "a whack."  I suppose there are exceptions, and I ain't an orthopod, but that's the general idea. 

m4ff3w
9/19/17 10:45 a.m.
Dr. Hess said:

If it's broke in 2 places, giving you 3 pieces, you're gonna get surgery, AKA "a whack."  I suppose there are exceptions, and I ain't an orthopod, but that's the general idea. 

Gotcha, thanks.

Hopefully since they are small pieces w/out much displacement, I can get away with just a cast.

We'll see.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/19/17 11:08 a.m.

Yeah, that's pretty minor.  I thought you meant 3 pieces like this:

knee_______:__:___foot

That little bit there, they'd probably just cast.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mnL3tzm5WAnbowoa2cnuMOdWLquOHvgeST5jchdYnO0scliA2zti53JrL7Z3uKLU