That is all.

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
4/7/12 10:09 a.m.

Agree.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
4/7/12 10:12 a.m.

agreed. I eagerly await the day my 3 yo can mow the lawn.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Reader
4/7/12 10:16 a.m.

I'm so pissed that the drought in Texas ended. Well, I'm glad the fires stopped and that the lakes have water in them again, but I'm not happy that my lawn turned from a barren brown desert back into lust lush tropical jungle. I'm starting to lose cars out back again.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
4/7/12 10:17 a.m.

You should see my parents back yard. They cleverly got out of much of the mowing by filling their yard with a giant patio, a shed, a playground, a pool, garden, and (my personal favorite) an extension on the garage. There must be 100 square feet of actual grass.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
4/7/12 10:53 a.m.

My 8 yo loves doing it for Dad

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
4/7/12 11:22 a.m.

Not sure how to properly describe how steep our yard is. Some people are scared to go down our driveway. I pulled out this morning and said "Aaaaahhh berkeley. Not again!!!" Plus, I slacked and didn't do the back yard last weekend. This is gonna suck.

Lesley
Lesley UberDork
4/7/12 11:23 a.m.

My front yard requires approximately four passes with the lawnmower, the backyard is roughly the size of two parking spaces... which generally have cars in them. Lawnmower rarely reaches the end of the extension cord.

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
4/7/12 11:26 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: Not sure how to properly describe how steep our yard is. Some people are scared to go down our driveway. I pulled out this morning and said "Aaaaahhh berkeley. Not again!!!" Plus, I slacked and didn't do the back yard last weekend. This is gonna suck.

Invest in a flymo. Tie a rope the the handle, push it down and pull it back up.
And GRTech, how the heck can your 8-year old cut the grass. My 9-year old (must be a lightweight) has a hard time pushing it for 10 feet.

danvan
danvan GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/7/12 11:28 a.m.

I would love to have to cut the lawn now mine is still under 2 feet of snow

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
4/7/12 11:37 a.m.

He's tall for his age and it's self propelled. $2 worth of motivation as well

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
4/7/12 11:39 a.m.

Agreed. I end up paying someone a lot of the time.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
4/7/12 11:45 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: Agreed. I end up paying someone a lot of the time.

^This. I've always hated to pay someone to do what I can do for myself but back when I was putting all my time into building the Wartburg my wife hired a guy to free up some of my time so I could get it finished. It was very nice. I went back to DIY after the project but then this year my travel schedule has me out of town over the weekends once or twice a month and wifey cant keep up with it when Im gone so the guy is back again.

It was nice to get up today and go tinker with the car instead of knowing I had to mow the lawn.

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle Reader
4/7/12 11:50 a.m.

I am pretty lucky. I mow and the wife busts out the weed-eater. It still takes a little while but many hands make light work.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/7/12 11:50 a.m.

Yesterday was my first mow of the season. Mine takes about an hour and a half.

Not my favorite job by a long stretch, but I just can't bring myself to pay someone else when I know that it was a job I've been doing since I was nine.

I hired a kid two years ago when I had hand surgery and I enjoyed not mowing enough that I kept him coming back for an extra month after I had healed up enough to do it myself.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
4/7/12 12:18 p.m.

If you own under a half acre of grass....

Works great, I'm sure, until one of the neighborhood kids walks off with it for fun.

I don't miss grass.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
4/7/12 12:40 p.m.

If I thought I could convince the wife, I'd install artificial turf like the brady bunch's back yard.

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
4/7/12 1:52 p.m.
The0retical wrote: If you own under a half acre of grass.... Works great, I'm sure, until one of the neighborhood kids walks off with it for fun. I don't miss grass.

Holy crap! A few grand!

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
4/7/12 2:02 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:
The0retical wrote:
Holy crap! A few grand!

Sounds worth it to me. If you hate mowing as much as I do.

My lawn typically looks like this.

Photobucket

I am considering killing all the grass off and seeding the entire area with thyme.

Drought resistant, thrives in direct sunlight, green, tight low growing, durable, smells great and edible. You might need to mow it twice a year.

It is just a matter of how to remove the grass without damaging the soil or poisoning my hounds.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
4/7/12 2:04 p.m.

I mowed my grass for the first time yesterday.

Yep. It still sucks.

Jake
Jake HalfDork
4/7/12 2:41 p.m.

My lawnmower has been busted since the last mow of last season. I just dropped off the deck to get it repaired Thursday. It'll probably be another couple weeks before I get it under control. Once I'm doing it I don't hate it so much, but it sure does eat into time I could be doing other productive stuff.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
4/7/12 2:50 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:
The0retical wrote: If you own under a half acre of grass.... Works great, I'm sure, until one of the neighborhood kids walks off with it for fun. I don't miss grass.
Holy crap! A few grand!

Hey, didn't say it came cheap

Could always do it the grassroots way and tie a penny-saver self propelled mower to a stake then move it every few minutes.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
4/7/12 3:28 p.m.

I don't really mind it that much. We have two lawns.
1/2 acre at our lake house (push mower). 1 acre at our regular house (rider mower).
I did both today (it took about 2.5 hours plus an hour of driving to the other house). And then I swapped the speedo cable and fixed the speedometer, heater control and oil pressure gauge in my MGB. I'm drinking some tea right now: then I'll sweep the garages. I hate wasting a Saturday...today was a productive one!

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
4/7/12 3:31 p.m.

I don't mind it either...except for the fact that I just bent the blade on a tree root that magically appeared.

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
4/7/12 3:49 p.m.

I'd just as soon let it grow till November and whack it once with a brush hog

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1vNu5to6RI1yLEbib7YLwEWDCKhqHBJDssenTKpHTkUJYe0kPu7VSGVqrHJm53Md