1 2 3
frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/9/18 9:07 p.m.

Ducks with little tiny brains have flown south for the winter. 

I haven’t. 

My daughter works for the airlines so I fly free. See? Dumber than a duck!

Oh by the way I’m going to post pictures of my house here too 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/9/18 9:14 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :This is a double timber frame that is, the inside Timbers are white oak ( except the master bedroom which is black walnut) the outside Timbers and trim are all black walnut) 

everything is mortise and tenon  except my building inspector wouldn’t approve wooden pegs. So I used 1/2 inch stainless steel lag bolts recessed in and will be covered with wooden pegs to give the appearance. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/9/18 9:17 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :The outside Timbers are black walnut again mortise and tenoned together plus the lag bolts go through the SIPs and into the white oak Timbers inside

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/9/18 9:21 p.m.

LIn reply to frenchyd : this is the one lag bolt that missed. The walls are 14 inches thick   The lag bolts are stainless steel hardened 18/8 1/2 diameter by 12 inches long

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/9/18 9:31 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :The “bents” are 4 foot on center with the peak of the ceiling 28 feet from the floor. Because the house is so well insulated the temperature is the same on the floor as at the peak of the ceiling

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/9/18 10:03 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I love timber frame structures, especially old barns, but i swear the first post and title are giving me deja vu...

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/9/18 11:51 p.m.

It's not a house, it's a berkin' cathedral! Awesome place!

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/10/18 7:04 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :The lake view, the real reason I built this place.  When I was a boy coming out to this lake and enjoying the fun a lake has to offer was the highlight of my life. Dreaming about Lake Minnetonka sustained me through 2 tours in Vietnam 

the reason it’s a timberframe is because I used to lay on the floor of my neighbors barn and look up in wonder at all the timberwork. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/10/18 7:07 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

The outside black walnut timber frames and my stone work. 

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
11/10/18 7:09 a.m.

Very, very nice! Love the way it's "of the land".

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/10/18 7:09 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

The portico bedroom, 180 degree views of the lake 

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
11/10/18 7:11 a.m.

So you sandwiched the SIP's?

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/10/18 7:12 a.m.

Beautiful homesite. And brrrrrrr

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/10/18 7:13 a.m.

Looking into the billiard room from the bridge over the Kitchen

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/10/18 8:52 a.m.

The Kitchen designed by my wife.  

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/10/18 8:55 a.m.

Looking west from the breakfast nook 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/10/18 8:56 a.m.

West end of house

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/10/18 8:59 a.m.
NermalSnert said:

So you sandwiched the SIP's?

Yes, well except for the ones on the roof. But the walls are 6 inches of solid foam and the ceiling is  12 inches. R30 & R60 

that allows me to have. 105 windows although to be fair not all windows are outside. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/10/18 9:03 a.m.
NermalSnert said:

Very, very nice! Love the way it's "of the land".

The walkway is a work in progress. I think I’m going to pull the brick off the retaining walls and put them between the stone pavers laid down. Then I’ll replace them with Chilton. 

I looked into getting replacement brick but these are twice fired paving brick made in 1903  When I find any they want $3.00 each  

But to be honest, this is always going to be a work in progress. My goal is to finish it the day before they start digging my grave.  

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
11/10/18 9:05 a.m.

Nice!

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/10/18 9:29 a.m.

Ein Suite 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/10/18 9:30 a.m.

Picture#2

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/10/18 9:48 a.m.

Burls 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/10/18 9:59 a.m.

There are 9 Timbers 6”x6” of solid burl  like the dashboard of a Jaguar or Rolls Royce.  The tree these came from was a giant tree. It actually overloaded the  semi truck pulling the trailer 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/10/18 10:05 a.m.

Breakfast nook 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
23ObDIPBG1xMTT7Bkwsrls9lkMUT3Xh7aC5wDWcXICGImMKFPyAfKBADoVBm2d1x