Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/8/20 9:54 a.m.

And it did not go well, when I finally asked him who he was calling he told me to berkeley off and hung up on me. This is not the first time I've been hung up by a scammer.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/8/20 10:17 a.m.

I love it when I hang up on them mid-spiel and they call back. "Hey, you hung up on me!" "YEp.... guess what?" *CLICK*

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/8/20 10:23 a.m.

I'm glad my Android phone and Google Fi mean 99.9% of spam calls are screened and then they hang up.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/8/20 10:50 a.m.

Last one I had..

Guy " Hi I'm trying to save you money on your car insurance"

Me: " I have USAA"

Guy " In that case" hangs up.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/8/20 11:13 a.m.

I just got a robocall with an urgent message...the warrantee on my 34 year old car is going to expire soon.  Yup.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/8/20 11:17 a.m.

They keep leaving messages about my student loans. I've never had one. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/8/20 11:26 a.m.
Mndsm said:

I noticed the other day my student loan payments weren't coming out. I didn't choose for that to happen, I want to keep paying them and get rid of them!

But I don't even know who the loan servicer is anymore. Maybe MOHELA? Don't feel like spending hours on the phone to figure it out.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
7/8/20 12:20 p.m.

A guy called my cell phone during the day and asked for the "home owner". 

I told him I wasn't at home right now. I was at the office. There aren't any homes here. 

He hung up. 

Shadeux (Forum Supporter)
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/8/20 12:29 p.m.

My favorite call ever was from a stock broker (essentially a scam artist) who used to call my dad all the time to pressure him to buy stuff.

Stock guy: "Is your Dad available?"

Me: "No, he died."

Stock Guy: "I'll call back later." <hangs up>

A moment later I could feel the guy crawl under his desk in embarrassment.  laugh

tomtomgt356 (FS)
tomtomgt356 (FS) GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/8/20 3:26 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

I just got a robocall with an urgent message...the warrantee on my 34 year old car is going to expire soon.  Yup.

If I have time I'll press the button to get to a person then say I want to renew the waranty on my '18 Ford Model T. It usually takes a few minutes before they realize I'm not talking about a 2018 Ford and hang up. I also don't understand why they won't offer me a warranty on my '85 RX-7...

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/8/20 4:22 p.m.
tomtomgt356 (FS) said:
 I also don't understand why they won't offer me a warranty on my '85 RX-7...

Me neither, I've been driving my '83 RX-7 GSL on my 84 mile round-trip work commute for the last week with zero, nada, zilch drama while my wife drives my daily driver (2019 CX-3) due to her pampered 2016 Exploder with 75K miles being in the shop undergoing $2,100 in repairs.

BTW, I just pulled 7 good comps (non GSL-SE series 2 & 3 cars) and the average asking price is $12,450 with an average of 89K miles.  I paid $4,700 (probably only worth $3,500 at the time) for mine 2.5 years ago with 42K miles on it.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
7/8/20 9:29 p.m.

Me either. I tried to get a warranty on my 1970 Opel GT after they couldn't tell me which car I owned that the warranty was about to expire on. They hung up on me.

Had another call at work a while back on my Gov't supplied cell phone about winning a lottery, I just had to pay a few thousand to get it. I joked about using my gov't credit card since he called me on my gov't phone. He said no had to be some other payment method. Then i mentioned that he's from Jamaica from the caller ID and then he claimed to be the prime minister of Jamaica and went on this rant about our president and started using the 4-letter word about the president and got even more mad when I laughed at him. I hung up on him after that, got tired of playing him.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
7/9/20 8:44 a.m.
RX Reven' said:
tomtomgt356 (FS) said:
 I also don't understand why they won't offer me a warranty on my '85 RX-7...

Me neither, I've been driving my '83 RX-7 GSL on my 84 mile round-trip work commute for the last week with zero, nada, zilch drama while my wife drives my daily driver (2019 CX-3) due to her pampered 2016 Exploder with 75K miles being in the shop undergoing $2,100 in repairs.

BTW, I just pulled 7 good comps (non GSL-SE series 2 & 3 cars) and the average asking price is $12,450 with an average of 89K miles.  I paid $4,700 (probably only worth $3,500 at the time) for mine 2.5 years ago with 42K miles on it.

Now I understand that the series 1 cars are not as popular, but this pleases me to see that 1st gen cars are rising in value. Not that I plan to sell my early production 78 , but it's nice to see them being appreciated more. Maybe mine might be worth $8k now?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/9/20 8:51 a.m.
Mndsm said:

that and our "credit card debt". We don't have any. 

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/20 10:43 p.m.

I used to get Chinese telemarketers on my work phone.  Nothing like getting somebody speaking Mandarin at you or leaving a 10 minute VM in Mandarin.  

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/10/20 6:36 a.m.

I just went down a rabbit hole with Lenny.

Lenny is a chat bot programmed to waste telemarketers time.  https://lennytroll.com/

These calls are hilarious 

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
7/10/20 9:46 a.m.

Most of the scams calls I get are robo calls but some are real people, mostly from India.

The ones I've only gotten twice are the  scammers  that say after you answer the phone with "Hello" say either "Hello" " gramps or some such variation.  They did it to my mother and when she replied by using the name of one of her grandsons they then used that to try to get her to wire them some money because they "were in trouble". Didn't work as she's in her 90's and doesn't know how.

I got one just a few days ago. After I answered I got a "Hello grampa."  I replied "I'm not your grampa" .  You see I have no children and hence no grand children.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/10/20 10:30 a.m.

I just have a little fun with them.  I need to answer my phone for potential side gigs and such so I can't ignore unknown numbers the way some do.

Some of my favorites:

As soon as you get a person, ask for your money.  Getting more and more insistent that you did the job and now they owe you XXXXX dollars.

Or

In a stunned voice say "it's done, but there is so much blood.  What do I do now?"

Even

Ask then about the weather, how they're doing, what a tough job it is being a telemarketer.  Show compassion AND waste their time.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/10/20 10:32 a.m.

how appropriate... I literally JUST had that call last night. They wanted to update my recently expired warranty. I have no idea WHAT they thought I would have had a warranty on... but I f'd with them anyway

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
7/10/20 10:54 a.m.

I keep getting calls from house flippers wanting to make a "cash offer" on my house. I get about two of these a week. 

The next time I get one I am going to ask them if they will really buy the house in any condition and start talking about the smell of the dead bodies in the crawlspace under the house. Then I will ask them how soon I can get the cash because I have a flight at midnight tonight and I have to be on it. Like maybe they can bring the cash and a notary to the airport and do the deal there. 

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/20 1:26 p.m.

I got a spam caller once, it was an actual person- a young woman.

I handed the phone to my (young, at the time) daughter and told her that the person wanted to talk about ponies with her.

She talked for at least five minutes.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/10/20 8:38 p.m.

You answer your phones? laugh

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/10/20 8:46 p.m.

I just got off the phone with a phone scammer

I just got off the phone with my ex-wife so... same.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
7/10/20 8:52 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

You answer your phones? laugh

Only when I get bored.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EWShzN5zkjHTYtQ880wZO6Odq3hLIvTQumkshHWRLk8idBOaLA9pEB7hJsvT2nYQ