Capt Slow
Capt Slow New Reader
6/9/08 12:02 p.m.

we arn't getting boned at all.

Gas price map

Home price map

It just got me thinking about inflation, I had alway thought of it as a function of time, but its clearly also a function of location.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/9/08 12:12 p.m.

Interesting thing to note about that gas price map though. Check out the section about amount spent on gas as percentage of income. Suddenly it flips around, and us Cali's are spending much less than others.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow New Reader
6/9/08 12:29 p.m.

income map

Its the wage that really drive that percentage, look at rural missisipi vs cali

20k a year here would barley cover rent in a cheap apartment...

Thats why I was commenting on inflation, everyting is more expensive, even labor...

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/9/08 1:46 p.m.

$20k/yr for an apartment?!? Well, you're in the Bay Area. Things are more sane here in Sactown. I still pay more than my friends in Eugene OR though.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow New Reader
6/9/08 6:43 p.m.

The average apartment in Sunnyvale (where I work) seems to be about $1600 a month.

When I was renting, I was living in Santa Cruz., The rent was cheaper (as long as you staid away from the west side with all the smelly UCSC students ) but I was not saving money relative to an apartment in Sunnyvale. The gas for the 80 mi/day commute ate up any savings in rent.

I currently spend about 12% of my income on gas !!! Though I have recently started carpooling which should cut that down to 6-10%...

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/9/08 6:54 p.m.

Oh. Sunnyvale. Ouch. A nice apartment around here generally goes for <$1000. I could rent a house in a good location for $1600.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uLpr4bja05CgKphvC3JYo6B3y07n73R0gqzotk2YmOSH1TsNBt0nDBM76sbkM4IZ