nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
1/22/14 1:13 p.m.

I've made several posts in the past about my job and I'm not going to re hash all of the minutiae. Lets just say the decision has been made that it's time to move on. The biggest issue is the lack of a work/life balance. And it's very recently became very apparent that my marriage is in jeopardy in large part because of the massive amounts of very late nights and weekends that I've been working. The next issue is that I make very good money for an unschooled, untrained 34yo. Looking through the classifieds is demoralizing because it seems all I'm qualified for is unskilled factory work at $9.50 per hour.

All I'm really looking for is something that pays decent and has a fairly set schedule. I really don't even know where to begin looking. If I stay with the same industry, no matter the company, it's always the same thing. Get it while you can because it may not be here tomorrow. I'm willing to trade some money to keep my family whole. But there's not much meat left on the bone at the end of the month as it is.

I guess my main question is; how and where do I look to start over?

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
1/22/14 1:17 p.m.

Get schooled or trained?

Are you actually looking through the classifieds, or do you mean monster/indeed/juju? Is there a Costco in your area? What do you do now?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
1/22/14 1:25 p.m.

Costco is $12.50 minimum around here. As for job/career hunting, I recommend careerbuilder.com

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
1/22/14 1:28 p.m.

I've been doing foundation repair and waterproofing since 1997. I have a useless class A cdl (L and 57 restrictions meaning no air brakes and no tractor trailer) My current title is production manager, but I'm still out in the field running a crew. There is no way I can go to school or any other training.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
1/22/14 1:31 p.m.

I'm salary now and if I only worked 40hrs a week I would be making 19.38hr. Not sure I can survive on less than 15?

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
1/22/14 1:34 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: I'm salary now and if I only worked 40hrs a week I would be making 19.38hr. Not sure I can survive on less than 15?

Sounds like you're doing it now.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
1/22/14 1:37 p.m.

Looks like you have a pretty new Harley. Worth, what, $6,500? Sell that and you have an additional 3 bucks an hour for a year.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
1/22/14 1:43 p.m.

Not really because that's what I'm getting paid. If you look at it from the perspective of what I'm bringing home not the hrs behind it. The money is what it is.

The bike was an attempt to raise my credit score because I wanted to buy a house in a couple years. I owe about what it's worth so no real gain there, if it has to go though it has to go. I will need a vehicle because I have a company vehicle here.

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
1/22/14 1:49 p.m.

I still feel like you know this industry well enough to be your own boss.

Have you ever thought about getting into sales of the products you use on a regular basis? Sealer, block, that kind of stuff?

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
1/22/14 1:52 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: Not really because that's what I'm getting paid. If you look at it from the perspective of what I'm bringing home not the hrs behind it. The money is what it is.

Yes, really. You're making a lot less than $19 an hour if you are working so much unpaid overtime. You said you can't live on less than $15 an hour, but what you really meant is you can't live on less than $600 a week (before taxes)--you're currently at $775 a week, before taxes.

What are you actually making hourly, factoring in all the extra time that you are putting in? Would 40 hours at $9.00 in the week, plus some possible over time, AND $9.00 for 10 hours on the weekend put you close to what you're taking home now?

EDIT: No, that does not. But $12.50 for 40 and $9 for 10 does. 50 hours a week ain't bad.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
1/22/14 1:55 p.m.

Do you rent heavy equipment for the job? Lifts and what-not? Fork trucks? I see you said waterproofing. I don't know if that ends at the basement or goes above to other floors.

Maybe there is a rental company that needs a salesman who is familiar with their product as well as one that has knowledge of who may need what equipment. I hear they pay well.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
1/22/14 1:57 p.m.

In reply to PHeller:

Doesn't change the work/life balance. And likely would make it worse. I do have a lot of knowledge about a lot of things. And would like to take advantage of that instead of throwing all those years away. I'm not sure how to get into sales, but would consider it.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
1/22/14 2:02 p.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

Good suggestion.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
1/22/14 4:51 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: I'm not sure how to get into sales, but would consider it.

How good are you at kissing ass?

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
1/22/14 5:02 p.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

I'm the opposite of good at that lol.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
1/22/14 5:09 p.m.

Health insurance is a bitch of an industry, but if you can get in the door, you can get paid with 0 schooling.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
1/22/14 6:35 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: .....I make very good money.....

golden handcuffs - sometimes it's hard to leave the good pay.

Sales? I had a purchasing background and jumped the fence and started in "inside sales". After 5 years I jumped to outside sales and then sales management. The company that hired me for inside sales just hired me back for a great customer base due to a 62 year old guy that is cashing out and retiring. Sales can be good.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jCLPtjdxPn0fh9q0baIPf7wWVIwSY6uKmiBM64slyvEBi0JH1JoB8hJqDwWbDjQM