1 2
Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/16 11:26 a.m.

The Wife started a new job and wants a little sign with her name on it, but not the plain engraved plastic ones that pretty much everyone sells. I thought this would be an easy Christmas gift so where can I find something nice and a bit different?

dimarra
dimarra Dork
12/5/16 11:49 a.m.

Miller Metal Fabrication in Bridgeville, Delaware (millermetal.com) laser cuts them from stainless tubing.

Yes, I'm affiliated (but would have nothing to do with the project.) Mods, please delete this message if I'm in violation of rules.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/5/16 11:52 a.m.

I was going to suggest calling a machine shop. Or maybe you know someone that does wood working and they could carve one?

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
12/5/16 11:53 a.m.

Etsy is usually pretty good for this kind of thing too

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
12/5/16 12:22 p.m.

You need to find a small shop with a laser or water jet. I've seen enough machines advertised it can't be too hard to find someone close.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/5/16 12:28 p.m.

The old mall kiosk standby, Things Remembered, has wooden desk plaque things with metal plates they'll engrave.

https://www.thingsremembered.com/engraved-name-plates-tags

Looks like about $55 by the time you pay their engraving fees. I didn't look into shipping costs.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/16 1:41 p.m.

Is her name Tracy? Egan? How about Nancy? Would you be willing to start calling her any of those things? If so, I may have something for you.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/5/16 2:08 p.m.

Many, many styles out there. I got my wife a nice oak one that holds business cards, works well for walk ins, they know who you are and how to contact you.

Dan

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
12/5/16 5:24 p.m.
dimarra wrote: Miller Metal Fabrication in Bridgeville, Delaware (millermetal.com) laser cuts them from stainless tubing. Yes, I'm affiliated (but would have nothing to do with the project.) Mods, please delete this message if I'm in violation of rules.

Do you have a link to the specific product? I'm interested, but couldn't find anything on their site.

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
Smarta$$ McPoopyPants MegaDork
12/5/16 6:03 p.m.

Trophy shop.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/5/16 7:05 p.m.
dimarra wrote: Miller Metal Fabrication in Bridgeville, Delaware (millermetal.com) laser cuts them from stainless tubing. Yes, I'm affiliated (but would have nothing to do with the project.) Mods, please delete this message if I'm in violation of rules.

Nah, it's cool. I file it under "friends helping friends."

Wall-e
12/5/16 7:10 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:
Do you have a link to the specific product? I'm interested, but couldn't find anything on their site.

This. The site is kind of vague on who to call. She was pretty clear she didn't want a plain block like everyone else has. I'm not entirely sure why she needs one. I went to her new office today to drop some things off and no one walks in. She's in a bunker at the back of an unused mental institution. You have to drive past a dozen creepy boarded up buildings that look like the set of a horror movie.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/16 7:11 p.m.
Wall-e wrote: She's in a bunker at the back of an unused mental institution. You have to drive past a dozen creepy boarded up buildings that look like the set of a horror movie.

Crazy coincidence!

I, too, was at a creepy, unused mental institution today.

I've been inside. Those aren't regular old 24 pane windows, those are bars.

photo Fairfield Hills_zpsikatr0lt.jpg

Wall-e
12/5/16 7:14 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

This is the second one she interviewed at. She was offered this position at one in Wassaic on RT22 but when we went to check it out she thought it was too spooky. The one she's at in Rockland is only slightly less frightening.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
12/5/16 7:16 p.m.

Well if I worked in a bunker at the back of an unused mental institution, I'd want as much normalcy in my workspace as I could get, including a nice sign for my desk and possibly a plant. I also hear that a "Congratulations on the new job!" bouquet of flowers from one's spouse is virtually never refused by the recipient.

Wall-e
12/5/16 7:21 p.m.

In reply to Stealthtercel:

Plants will probably go there next week. First she has to take out the giant plastic flower in her window that looks like it was stolen from a funeral home. It's a really strange place.

daeman
daeman HalfDork
12/5/16 7:22 p.m.

Is it wrong of me to want to explore said dissused mental institutions? Abandoned hospitals and asylums are amongst the most interesting places to explore, alongside abandoned houses where people have left suddenly for whatever reason.

On a less weird note, congrats to Mrs Wall-e on her new job

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/5/16 8:26 p.m.

She needs a name plaque with a spooky font!

I love abandoned places and disused mental facilities wouls be right at the top of my list of places to explore. Right up there with abandoned shopping malls. Neither of which we have very many of around here.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/5/16 11:33 p.m.
daeman wrote: Is it wrong of me to want to explore said dissused mental institutions? Abandoned hospitals and asylums are amongst the most interesting places to explore, alongside abandoned houses where people have left suddenly for whatever reason. On a less weird note, congrats to Mrs Wall-e on her new job

Only slightly higher on my list, abandoned malls and theme parks. Good old capitalism in decay is fascinating to me.

Wall-e
12/6/16 3:22 a.m.

In reply to daeman:

Thank you, she's pretty excited.

The state has no shortage of creepy office space. Her first job was a call center for unemployment which was in a lovely 70s Soviet style concrete building that looks like it fell into disrepair two days after it opened. The first floor also seemed to be an active crime scene every time I stopped in. The she moved to the rehab hospital she's been at for the past 12 years. They were short on space for a while so her desk was in this old dark corridor where the iron lungs ran during the hospital's polio days. There were several large black and white photos of the machines churning away with their patients trying to smile for the camera.

You used to be able to roam pretty freely around most of the but now there are variing levels of security depending on how much the facility heads feel workplace violence or terrorism could occur.

dimarra
dimarra Dork
12/6/16 8:46 a.m.

We (Miller Metal) used to have a gallery of of completed projects on the website. Seems like it got lost in the last remodel. If anyone wants, I can email you a picture of the "plague," along with the email address of the appropriate Project Manager. (He's a car-guy and GRM lurker.)

Another idea: I once laid-out a company logo and name on some 4x10 1/4" glass and sand-blasted it as a desk plague for my wife's boss. Did the same thing with an MG-TD grill on a beer mug for my step-father.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
12/6/16 10:06 a.m.
dimarra wrote: We (Miller Metal) used to have a gallery of of completed projects on the website. Seems like it got lost in the last remodel. If anyone wants, I can email you a picture of the "plague," along with the email address of the appropriate Project Manager. (He's a car-guy and GRM lurker.) Another idea: I once laid-out a company logo and name on some 4x10 1/4" glass and sand-blasted it as a desk plague for my wife's boss. Did the same thing with an MG-TD grill on a beer mug for my step-father.

You have e-mail.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/6/16 10:16 a.m.
Woody wrote:
Wall-e wrote: She's in a bunker at the back of an unused mental institution. You have to drive past a dozen creepy boarded up buildings that look like the set of a horror movie.
Crazy coincidence! I, too, was at a creepy, unused mental institution today. I've been inside. Those aren't regular old 24 pane windows, those are bars.  photo Fairfield Hills_zpsikatr0lt.jpg

We've got one of those nearby in Iowa as well, except it's still open...

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
12/6/16 10:26 a.m.

These could flip 'em out... or fit right in

had a set meself as a very young lad

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/6/16 11:04 a.m.

In reply to dimarra:

Hey, I know you guys! We source a handful of pretty low volume parts from you guys at work. I've actually got one of your components sitting on my desk right now.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MEYsVdtWHItHvg1SKurf8fz3Jj6kccCYwZIKCH45GjCgAo3TXmCe78Si0MbMvQdN