cdeforrest
cdeforrest Reader
8/6/19 10:25 p.m.

Where's the best place to find a puny 4'x8' piece of flat metal to use for a workbench?

I don't live in the rust belt, so factory auctions are probably off the table. I need a flat,semi impervious work surface for welding and bashing on. Where should I look? 
I'm in Northern California. I was thinking Sims Metal. Any idea of what reasonable cost is? 4'x8'x1/2" or so

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
8/6/19 10:37 p.m.

My steel yard sells "blems" that are good enough for most folks. A prime sheet like that will be somewhere between 400 and 600 depending on the alloy and finish.

It will also be just under 1000lbs

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/6/19 11:27 p.m.

Look for metal supplier on Google, then figure out who sells direct to the public and hopefully has blems available. 

I'd give you the names of the ones I stop in at, but I'm in CT so that probably wouldn't help!

jamscal
jamscal Dork
8/7/19 6:29 a.m.

1/2" 4x8 plate is 652 lbs and it would cost me about $280

Consider going with pickled and oiled steel.

Most places around here would have a will call area so loading shouldn't be a problem as long as you have a truck or trailer.

Just call all the local suppliers and ask for sales...and sound like you know what you need, and they'll probably be happy to sell to you. :)

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/7/19 7:31 a.m.

Cheaper to build a bench with a heavy wood top and then have a piece of heavy gauge sheet bent to wrap around it. 

Watch for industrial auctions. My brother bought a 10 by 10 by half inch steel welding bench for fifty dollars. 

They also pop up on Craigslist here fairly regularly.

Lastly, we have a steel recycler here called Amix who collect steel cast offs from Fab shops and manufacturers. They sell a lot of it for much less than new price to the public. I often see large sheets there. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/19 7:39 a.m.

For S&G I checked my local CL for welding tables. Lots of great options locally, too bad I don't need one. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/7/19 8:35 a.m.

Oddly enough- look at a used restaurant supply store. The stainless steel used in front of walls over vent hoods can be cheap there. 

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
8/7/19 8:56 a.m.

The last time I needed a new weld table I drew up a simple plan with a 3'X4' 1/2" plate and a 2"X2" frame on casters. Called the steel yard and gave them the cut list and they quoted me over $500. I then went to weldtables.com and ordered a certiflat kit which at the time was almost exactly the same price. I love that table. Flat, sturdy and much lighter. It assembled in half an hour and has been flawless for 3 years. I use it all day every day.

They only seem expensive until you calculate the steel costs plus your time to fabricate. The grid of fixturing holes is incredibly handy and a handful of quickly modified clamps from HF gives almost limitless flexibility.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/7/19 9:00 a.m.
pinchvalve said:

For S&G I checked my local CL for welding tables. Lots of great options locally, too bad I don't need one. 

Yea it is surprising. Missed a 4x8x1/2" sheet of AR4 steel for $200 last week by an hour, but picking up a 4x4x1/2"sheet of diamond plate for $35!! On Friday afternoon.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/7/19 11:11 a.m.

My neighbor made one out of a stainless table from a restaurant auction house.  Not quite 4X8, but look around.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/7/19 11:18 a.m.

We have a 5’x25’ steel table used for conveyor belt fastener fabrication.  All steel overkill built in the 1970’s.  

Not for sale and not practical for a homeowner but what an awesome piece or work place when you need it. 

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/7/19 11:18 a.m.
Jumper K Balls (Trent) said:

The last time I needed a new weld table I drew up a simple plan with a 3'X4' 1/2" plate and a 2"X2" frame on casters. Called the steel yard and gave them the cut list and they quoted me over $500. I then went to weldtables.com and ordered a certiflat kit which at the time was almost exactly the same price. I love that table. Flat, sturdy and much lighter. It assembled in half an hour and has been flawless for 3 years. I use it all day every day.

They only seem expensive until you calculate the steel costs plus your time to fabricate. The grid of fixturing holes is incredibly handy and a handful of quickly modified clamps from HF gives almost limitless flexibility.

I haven't quoted anything for truth in a while. This seems like a good one. (I didn't do a Certiflat; I built a smaller workbench and then drooled with envy after seeing Trent's and realizing how cheap it ended up being for what it was. And I still have renting a mag drill and accurately drilling a field of holes to look forward to, which was driven home by recently doing a bunch of work that had me awkwardly clamping things to the outer flange because I have no holes yet.)

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
8/7/19 11:45 a.m.

In reply to cdeforrest :

For $25. I bought a granite counter top  from a display that had been discarded at my local big box lumberyard.  I toss a piece of stainless steel on it when using as a welding table for Aluminum and a piece of aluminum when welding steel.  That way nothing sticks, unless I need it to, then I switch metals.  Both slide nicely behind the bench.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
8/7/19 2:41 p.m.

Slab o' steel?  You can borrow my abs. 

Oh, wait.  4'x 8'?  Never mind.

cdeforrest
cdeforrest Reader
8/8/19 10:12 p.m.

Wow, lots of good Info. Thx everybody!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1oQInLfLxBamuCme79WRjBMxXRH9jnXaiEc6X4n0kPhb6Eiji1GQ8NTEZNq9jkiO