RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/24/20 3:15 p.m.

I'd like a better system than this. Not pictured are snow shovels, brooms, and a few rakes. 

Go hardware store racks with it? Hooks? Loops of rope?

I don't really need the floor space, yet, I just think there's a better solution than piled against the wall. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/24/20 3:23 p.m.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/20 3:27 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I'm certainly not saying this is ideal & I have bare stud walls in the garage, so this would be extra work for you, but about 3' up from the floor are 1" furring strips nailed to the front of several studs. The shovels fit nicely in there with the handles facing down, while the rakes hang from the studs above. 

Although looking at the number of tools you have, I think I'd make some kind of bin to hold all the shoves sideways - probably with the handles facing down though, so it's easy to tell which one you're grabbing - but by being sideways they'll take up less space. 

Rakes probably make more sense to hang from above. You could do the same with brooms, but I prefer to just lean them against the wall so they're easier to grab & use. 

Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb HalfDork
11/24/20 3:30 p.m.

A pair of Screw Eyes set wide enough for the handle to slip through will generally support the weight you are talking about and the eyes will keep the tool from hopping off casually but will allow easy removal. If you want to rearrange the screws are easy to remove and reinstall.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
11/24/20 3:41 p.m.
RevRico said:

I'd like a better system than this. Not pictured are snow shovels, brooms, and a few rakes. 

Go hardware store racks with it? Hooks? Loops of rope?

I don't really need the floor space, yet, I just think there's a better solution than piled against the wall. 

For me, I did not want to dedicate wall space to a solution.  At my previous house, you provide your own garbage cans.  At my current house the garbage service provides one of the large wheeled can.  This means that when I moved I had 2 smaller wheeled cans with nothing to do.  

This type of can: 

So, I then filled the can with all the rakes and shovels with the working end sticking up.  

An informal solution that mimics this more formal solution

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/24/20 3:47 p.m.

Here's my setup.  I want to make it a little more compact though in the future.

daeman
daeman Dork
11/24/20 4:06 p.m.

I can't give you a solution, because I've got the same problem, but I am looking to solve it, so I'll take notes.

That green plastic unit could probably be home made with some old pallets or ply and a little effort.

Speaking of pallets, I have considered something like the photo below in the past, but felt like it was just going to become a spider palace. It is cheap, fast and simple though. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/24/20 4:35 p.m.

In reply to daeman :

Oh I kinda like that. And I have spare pallets

I used to keep a stub of 6"pipe in my truck that held all the tools with handles, might try that here in the house until I get sick of it.

daeman
daeman Dork
11/24/20 4:43 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

No worries mate, happy it's useful to you, even if only till something better comes up. I may knock one out for myself for an interim solution now I'm in a less spider prone location

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/24/20 4:44 p.m.

I have a rack on part of my wall.  It's annoying but I rotate snow shovels and rakes 2x a year - stuff goes in the attic.  

Oh yeah, I collected a lot of duplicates and moved some into the trash.   

tomtomgt356 (FS)
tomtomgt356 (FS) GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/24/20 4:48 p.m.

I did this with some scrap plywood and a 10ft piece of 4" PVC. You could probably make it more compact if you needed too. 4" was good for 2 tools for the most part. You might go with 6" to fit more in each pipe.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
11/24/20 7:00 p.m.

Step 1 is go thru the pile and get rid of the dupes.  I see 6 shovels and 2 dirt rakes.  Unless you know something I don't, its tough to use more than 1 tool at any given time.

Even if you have a wife or a helper monkey, you rarely need two identical spade shovels.  

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/24/20 7:41 p.m.

My garage OCD.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/20 7:59 p.m.

Build a tall "lazy Susan" with concentric circles and cutouts to hold the tools.  Use a central rod or piece of wood to mount an upper and lower bearing.  The upper bearing is mounted to a ceiling or the bottom of a shelf.

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 Reader
11/25/20 9:53 a.m.

rubbermaid fastrack. if you want to go with something premade. 

https://www.rubbermaid.com/garage-organization.html

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/25/20 11:40 a.m.

My tool shed (which has a lot of tools) has a simple solution- I just ran a 2x4 around the outside walls about 5' off the floor. 2 good sized nails at appropriate width spacing will hang just about any tool.  MUCH cheaper than the various hooks and hanger systems commercially available. 

My tool trailer is different. I didn't want to dedicate that much wall space. So, I use a trash can with wheels. I can wheel the whole thing out of the way when I want more floor space. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/25/20 11:51 a.m.

I have this kind of solution in the shed

The wife just does this

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
11/25/20 12:16 p.m.

My wife and I having separate garages and driveways is definitely one of life's small pleasures.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j8GiV1Kn0Jjk80meJci0KcQrBqt50UzPFrI13JBJMNnbQxJxOiBKwXur9Xsu69dL