1 2 3 4
SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
1/10/18 7:12 p.m.

At our church chili cool-offs, I name my chili by whatever beer I used to make it "...on fire."

Last one: "Hell's Gate on Fire"

Previously: "Old Speckled Hen on Fire"

I usually hunt for cool sounding micro brew names.

If folks recognize the beer, they won't be offended, and if they don't recognize the beer, they won't be offended.  But it's very hot (based on Carroll Shelby's chili, but I've added more and more chilies over the years because I can't taste them anymore), and I leave a warning sign with it.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/10/18 7:23 p.m.

Not possum Chili

travellering
travellering HalfDork
1/10/18 7:30 p.m.

I guess a Mexican spiced chili with deer meat could be a Ten Pointer over the Border chili.

El Bambi-achi starring A-ton-of-ol' Pepperas....

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/10/18 7:33 p.m.

Spoon melter

Venti double soy skim latte with a chocolate base and Carmel float? (I've never been to Starbucks, I don't know what the frufru E36 M3 is actually called but you get my point)

David

The Red Sea

Noah's kettle, 2 of every animal and pepper

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
1/10/18 7:33 p.m.

Judas' Legacy

Iscariot's Abyss

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/10/18 8:22 p.m.

Scorched Earth

I am the god of hellfire!

You're not cool, you're chili.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/10/18 8:47 p.m.

You'll nenever er believe what happens if you vote this the winner!

Alternatively,  tell us what your basic ingredients are, and I'm sure I can hipster the berkeley out of it for you. I do it for sport at work. 

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
1/11/18 7:49 a.m.

Kim-Jong-Un-Believable

jmabarone
jmabarone New Reader
1/11/18 8:46 a.m.

If you come up with a hugely hipster name, then add a tagline:

Try this chili before it's cool

Brian
Brian MegaDork
1/11/18 10:24 a.m.
Ed Higginbotham said:

Martin Luther's 95 Ingredients

Take that to a catholic cook off wink

Old_Town
Old_Town New Reader
1/11/18 11:01 a.m.

INRI (Latin on the cross...) - It's Natural Regular Ingredients

The Chili that Convinced Doubting Thomas

Good Friday, Excellent Chili

Jesus Saves... Room for this Chili 

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
1/11/18 11:11 a.m.

Beany Meany

The good, the red, and the meaty

Chili, chili everywhere, and all of it to eat

The scarlet scalder, or scary scarlet scalder

Tabasco is for wimps

Ultimate hot dog topper

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
1/11/18 1:27 p.m.

Can you include a picture on the name card?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/11/18 2:46 p.m.

No names from me  (bah humbug), but a little insight. 

I know with the chili cookoffs around here, the quality of the chili is secondary.   The most important thing in winning the chili cookoff is how much $$ you are donating to the charity.  If there is a cash prize, and you win----- donate it all to  the charity holding the "cook-off".  Otherwise, that will be the last time you win.   Chili cookoffs can get very political, and the best chili rarely wins.   The company  producing "OK" chili who understands  the "spirit of the event" is usually the winner.  

smokindav
smokindav Reader
1/11/18 7:41 p.m.

Shadrack, Meshack & Abednego 

84FSP
84FSP Dork
1/11/18 7:46 p.m.

Sting Ring Special

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/18 5:21 a.m.
SkinnyG said:If folks recognize the beer, they won't be offended, and if they don't recognize the beer, they won't be offended.  But it's very hot (based on Carroll Shelby's chili, but I've added more and more chilies over the years because I can't taste them anymore), and I leave a warning sign with it.

I saw Ol' Shel's chili recipe online a ways back.  I remember it required more cheese than I'd consume in a year.  I don't know how anything with that much cheese could be "hot".

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/12/18 6:46 a.m.

Burning starfish

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/12/18 6:53 a.m.

Baptized by Satan 

Satan's Mild Chili (Spicy as Hell)

84FSP
84FSP Dork
1/12/18 7:12 a.m.
JamesMcD said:

Kim-Jong-Un-Believable

Winning!

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
1/12/18 8:21 a.m.

"That berkeleying deer i hit with my car chili"

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/12/18 8:39 a.m.
Joe Gearin said:

No names from me  (bah humbug), but a little insight. 

I know with the chili cookoffs around here, the quality of the chili is secondary.   The most important thing in winning the chili cookoff is how much $$ you are donating to the charity.  If there is a cash prize, and you win----- donate it all to  the charity holding the "cook-off".  Otherwise, that will be the last time you win.   Chili cookoffs can get very political, and the best chili rarely wins.   The company  producing "OK" chili who understands  the "spirit of the event" is usually the winner.  

I have an anecdote about that, actually. I found out the hard way, chili contests are extremely political. 

Years ago, when I worked for a certain insurance concern in Minnesota they hosted a chili contest. I've been told before, and even requested by several, to make them batches of chili, so i figured I had some mojo and would be able to bag this thing.

Day of the contest, several batches came in, mostly mediocre. There was one in particular thatlooked like, and tasted as though they came straight out of a can. Judging comes and goes,.and I have  all of the judges asking me what was in it and what my recipe was and stuff. I'll be honest, I don't know my own recipe. I just eyeball it. 

I didn't win. The garbage that I mentioned earlier? That garbage won. I was mad as E36 M3, and vowed revenge. I even made it well known to the people that ran the contest I knew it was rigged. Buncha office biddies trying to hold me down. The thing was, I also knew their greed. They would not pass up an opportunity to get a bunch of free chow via a potluck or food challenge. So I waited.

Months later another contest was announced. I of course, threw my hat into the ring. And went to the store, and cleaned them out of peppers. And bought a thing of wasabi. I probably had 50 bucks into one batch of chili, and the protein was chicken. A test confirmed that my theory on the wasabi worked. You got the first pop of the wasabi, and falsely assumed you were past the burn. Nope. No sooner than the wasabi died, the real party began. And didn't stop. 

Day of the contest. Everyone is eyeballing my crock pot, knowing what I did the last time. Judging time happens, all the biddies load up. I go about my business,  content to know I've done my job. Once again the judges come up and ask questions. Except this time, They be gone all bright red, sweating profusely. I know at least two of the biddies cried. 

I won that contest, and they never had another one. You don't berkeley with me   

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
1/12/18 12:06 p.m.
Knurled. said:

I saw Ol' Shel's chili recipe online a ways back.  I remember it required more cheese than I'd consume in a year.  I don't know how anything with that much cheese could be "hot".

I once made a chili with haberneros and about four cups of shredded cheddar for a cook-off. The result wasn't up to MNDSM's level of sneaky, but the result did seem to wait until you'd eaten a few spoonfuls for the burn to really hit you. It ended up getting nicknamed "Sleeper Chili".

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
1/12/18 12:27 p.m.

Shadrack, Meshack & Abednego's "hotter than a furnace" Chili.  So good Lazarus came back for seconds.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/12/18 1:54 p.m.
oldopelguy said:

Beany Meany

Okay, *now* we have actual heresy in the thread. Real chili has no beans.

I've eaten (and even enjoyed) a lot of canned chili with beans, or the veggie chili at so many restaurants... The latter I tend to want to call "spiced bean stew". But if you're setting out for proper chili for a cook-off, it's meat only! And I am an absolute authority because my dad grew up in Texas! cheeky

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rKLSR0oHzdpQnktiLS3m8JZmNvzBFV75VCLS2gdtFjmSZQDVzkVffvHy7A2qJ7jX