1 2
chapel
chapel New Reader
4/19/11 8:56 a.m.

Hi there. I've been a subscriber to GRM since 1998. I've been a '10 year subscription renewal' guy whenever it's offered... I've poked my head in here once in a while, but never made it part of my daily routine. GRM is one of the few magazines that I get REALLY excited to read these days and I constantly see funny little bits from the forums scattered throughout the magazine. And it's not like I'm not a 'forum-dweller' either... At the VWVortex alone, I've been a member since 1998 and have somewhere around 45k posts or something ridiculous... I'm a member of about 45 different forums at this point... (none of which I'm terribly active on these days though)

So, here's my latest attempt at being part of the GRM community that I've so loved for the past 13 years. Forum link added to the top of my 'daily routine'... hope to be a better contributor from here out.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
4/19/11 8:58 a.m.

" I never quite understood why I don't come here more often... "

That's what she said.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
4/19/11 9:05 a.m.

^^^Expect a lot more of that type of thing .

Nice collection of cars, you have. I love the Audi especially. There's something very cool about a nondescript sedan with performance mods and a manual trans.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
4/19/11 9:09 a.m.

If you're a forum whore (And many of us are if we admit it.... I've hit 10k posts on so many sites it's sad) you're bound to fit in here.

chapel
chapel New Reader
4/19/11 9:10 a.m.

I just updated the Audi

It's a two part story of excitement, failure, smoke and amazing community support... though I'll probably screw it all up in the writing of it.

you can also read into it a bit here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5041789-The-S6-RS2-upgrade-adventure

though it's a bit more depressing in that light.

chapel
chapel New Reader
4/19/11 9:17 a.m.
mndsm wrote: If you're a forum whore (And many of us are if we admit it.... I've hit 10k posts on so many sites it's sad) you're bound to fit in here.

I might be a bit 'extra-whorey' as I catch up on things here...

I'm actually considering selling my Audi S6 for something a bit cheaper and a bit more "piece-of-garbage-ier"

My favorite car I've owned was my E30 because I just beat the tar out of it daily. It wasn't a concours car and it wasn't even particularly clean... it had a hole in the firewall and would leak profusely into the driver floorboard... and come winter, that would then freeze. But did I ever love the hell out of that car.

I'd love another, but I'd need a 4 door that can swallow a Recaro Como baby seat

I recently bought my wife a 2010 Mazda 5 with a MANUAL TRANSMISSION (GASP!) and she loves it. In fact she preferred the manual to the automatic.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/19/11 9:21 a.m.

Yes, welcome.

chapel
chapel New Reader
4/19/11 9:34 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Yes, welcome.

and I've been following you around on various internet things for years... today I just subscribed to you and GRM on twitter.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/19/11 10:01 a.m.

welcome to the Asylum.. or are we outside the Asylum and the rest of the world inside it?

chapel
chapel New Reader
4/19/11 12:59 p.m.

after browsing around for a bit I think I figured out my problem:

I have no idea where to even start...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
4/19/11 1:04 p.m.
chapel wrote: after browsing around for a bit I think I figured out my problem: I have no idea where to even start...

Begin by reading the 'Ignore' thread all the way thru and then do the same for the 'Hotlink' thread. Once you have done that you should be pretty much up to speed.

imirk
imirk Reader
4/19/11 1:05 p.m.

I start at the top.

also: the MGB GT V12 E-Mod

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
4/19/11 1:15 p.m.

What's a twitter?

Just go to "latest posts" and click on interesting things.

chapel
chapel New Reader
4/19/11 1:18 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
chapel wrote: after browsing around for a bit I think I figured out my problem: I have no idea where to even start...
Begin by reading the 'Ignore' thread all the way thru and then do the same for the 'Hotlink' thread. Once you have done that you should be pretty much up to speed.

Found it... should I read them in that order?

starting now, wish me luck.

Also, anyone here ever HEARD of me before? some people may have if they're regulars on certain forums...

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
4/19/11 1:19 p.m.

Are you kind of a big deal?

Welcome!

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Reader
4/19/11 1:30 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:

Be sure not to skip around. You may miss something important.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/19/11 1:31 p.m.

I would recommend just posting good info (as opposed to post whoring) and let your posts stand on their own. It's a good community. I've never bothered with the Ignore thread, no idea what's going on in there.

Welcome aboard.

chapel
chapel New Reader
4/19/11 1:37 p.m.
Keith wrote: I would recommend just posting good info (as opposed to post whoring) and let your posts stand on their own. It's a good community. I've never bothered with the Ignore thread, no idea what's going on in there. Welcome aboard.

I'll see what I can add.

I think I have a thread somewhere around here about my S6 and possibly even my old WRX and GTI... they're in my garage at least

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
4/19/11 1:45 p.m.

You really only need to know a few things. Miata, E30, Astro Van, Jeep Cherokee, P71, LS1.

There.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
4/19/11 1:51 p.m.

I think I recognize your screen name from NASIOC. Welcome!

92CelicaHalfTrac
4/19/11 1:52 p.m.
mndsm wrote: You really only need to know a few things. Miata, E30, Astro Van, Jeep Cherokee, P71, LS1. There.

And turbo, and box flares. Anything can be made better with turbo and box flares.

chapel
chapel New Reader
4/19/11 2:07 p.m.
mndsm wrote: You really only need to know a few things. Miata, E30, Astro Van, Jeep Cherokee, P71, LS1. There.

well, I was responsible for some updates to the Online version of the E30 Bentley manual... I've also kinda-owned a 1990 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 (it was my parents spare car that I used and abused) and I have LS2 coilpacks in my Audi :D

chapel
chapel New Reader
4/19/11 2:08 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: I think I recognize your screen name from NASIOC. Welcome!

I was on NASIOC for some time. I did a few FAQs for the WRXs. I think my most well known FAQ was swapping STI gauge clusters into WRXs.

chapel
chapel New Reader
4/19/11 2:09 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
And turbo, and box flares. Anything can be made better with turbo and box flares.

My S6 runs at 2bar if that's any consolation... but no box flares, just bulge flares on the front.

92CelicaHalfTrac
4/19/11 2:13 p.m.
chapel wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
My S6 runs at 2bar if that's any consolation... but no box flares, just bulge flares on the front.

I do believe that might be more than i push.....

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MButF1tCCxSFm7M5jIPNcMsqO7bNoYCjCGXwZfewR4TSL9ea1Ao9wIAhWDf6RnpQ