1 2
poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
3/30/18 3:20 p.m.

I was really into it 10-15 years ago (berkeley. I’m old.) Recently got the bug again and started playing as often as possible. Played in my first “club” event last weekend and did okay once the nerves of playing with guys who are WAAAAAY better than I am settled down.

Any fellow nerds in the nerdery?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/18 4:38 p.m.

Not me, but one of my good friends travels all over the country for disc golf. He's been into it since the late 80's.

My home town just added a disc golf course to a highly under used local park. It was all done with donated funds and is very inconspicuous. There was a surprising amount of resistance to the plan.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/30/18 5:25 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

I used to be. I haven't thrown in several years due to overcooking my already cooked shoulder playing 3 rounds in one day. I sold all my E36 M3 after that because I didn't know better, and knew I'd do it again. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/30/18 5:50 p.m.

I was pretty into it during college and the years after. Like playing in winter and at night. Never more than just fun, though. I thought I might be good enough for tournaments one summer, but not any more.

Just got a basket for the yard, should be fun with the kids.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/18 6:12 p.m.

I've got some good friends that live across the street from one of the local courses. It's a pretty popular sport around here but I've made the time to play it. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/30/18 6:13 p.m.

Tried it with my brother who is really into this.  Much like golf, I find it a pleasant walk ruined by an unnecessary need to put an object  in a defined goal.

Pete

poopshovel again
3/30/18 6:32 p.m.
Woody said:

Not me, but one of my good friends travels all over the country for disc golf. He's been into it since the late 80's.

My home town just added a disc golf course to a highly under used local park. It was all done with donated funds and is very inconspicuous. There was a surprising amount of resistance to the plan.

That’s awesome. Does he play competitively?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/18 7:05 p.m.

What do you consider competitively? He plays in a league and in tournaments, but he's not a sponsored pro or anything, if there is such a thing.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/30/18 10:31 p.m.

I don't smoke weed and I never got into Phish. I haven't played it in 13 years.

jay8s
jay8s New Reader
3/30/18 11:57 p.m.

During the summer I will play 2-3 rounds a week.  My local has a great playground where the kiddos can play and still be watched by me.  I'll probably start back up as soon as everything dries out here.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/31/18 12:47 a.m.

I wish that I could smoke weed (random drug tests scare me) and while I don't listen to phish, I do listen to The Grateful Dead and Allman Brothers and Snoop and Buffet... but I don't play. Huh. Maybe I should, except my shoulder is already ducked. 

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
3/31/18 3:43 a.m.

My in laws play alot, they have taken my kids too several different courses in the area. Not something I'm into but I'm willing to walk around with my 10 year olds while they play.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/18 7:24 a.m.

You once called me a "filthy berkeleying Jam-band hippie" for stating my appreciation of Blues Traveler.  From this day forward, I shall call you Kettle.

poopshovel again
3/31/18 11:14 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

You once called me a "filthy berkeleying Jam-band hippie" for stating my appreciation of Blues Traveler.  From this day forward, I shall call you Kettle.

Douche’, Beard-o.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/31/18 11:23 a.m.

We play on "team building" events occasionally.  It's free and we can save our "team building" money for other things, like Gun Range Day.  Hey, we're in Arkansas.

I will also mention that I was in this at the beginning.  Late 70's, Griffith Park, PRC.  We played for high school P.E. before they had the official course.  In fact, they built the net target thingies for the course after we started playing. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
3/31/18 1:19 p.m.

An old manager who tours the west promoting a weed/vape device posted a frisbie golf video just a couple of days ago. smiley

poopshovel again
4/1/18 8:14 a.m.

It’s kinda weird being the only dude who doesn’t partake. At least I’m good at keeping score!

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/1/18 1:58 p.m.

I love disk golf. Also love that it is free compared to real golf. I see disk golf and play much like I play bags, it's great fun for a little bit of competitive action outside. Pairs well with friends, grills, beers, and summer.

I would also find a tournament fun, just like a bags tourament would be fun. 

I haven't played in way too long, but might this weekend.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/1/18 2:00 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

It’s kinda weird being the only dude who doesn’t partake. At least I’m good at keeping score!

Agreed! Though I have been known to carry beer with me.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/1/18 5:01 p.m.

It's free...until courses start eating discs. Much of the courses built around here are hilly, wooded, swampy, or any combination of the three. The very last game I threw, I lost every disc but my putter. 

poopshovel again
4/3/18 8:36 a.m.
Appleseed said:

It's free...until courses start eating discs. Much of the courses built around here are hilly, wooded, swampy, or any combination of the three. The very last game I threw, I lost every disc but my putter. 

I really like the tight, wooded courses, as I’m not long off the tee. I keep a few “beater” used versions of my favorite discs in DX plastic for any shots with a chance of losing the disc.

poopshovel again
4/3/18 8:41 a.m.
Robbie said:
poopshovel again said:

Agreed! Though I have been known to carry beer with me.

Likewise! If you’re ever down this way, hit me up! We just set up an 18 hole course on the farm!!! 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/3/18 2:13 p.m.

I play. Last year I played a lot more but since taking up mountain biking I haven't had as much time on the weekend. There was a point when I was going at lunch 2 or 3 times a week. Rarely play tournaments though.

I should hit a course this weekend.

poopshovel again
8/28/18 4:05 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

I play. Last year I played a lot more but since taking up mountain biking I haven't had as much time on the weekend. There was a point when I was going at lunch 2 or 3 times a week. Rarely play tournaments though.

I should hit a course this weekend.

LMK if you’re ever up my way. I’m an hour north of ATL.

poopshovel again
8/28/18 4:10 p.m.

Even if you’ve never played, check out this tournament on youtube. One of the best rounds I’ve ever seen. I won’t spoil the ending, but I’m thrilled with the result.

MVP open at Maple Hill

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cNEhYWTyz8l5PHHowkNht5v8TVYpc0IUbmcuuRFiP8eeS4rMjTWyEnBfYhfe7t6W