1 2
Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
9/21/18 10:19 a.m.

I have a current project at a golf and country club that has a very large wrap around deck. The architect specified cedar for the decking so I took the opportunity to ask her about it. Apparently the current trend is away from composite decking and back to wood. The composite decking is not aging well with the freeze thaw cycles we experience. As was pointed out earlier it also scratches up easily during snow clearing. The contractor has suggested using Ipe instead of cedar. The owner is reviewing the up charge, as it's significant. If you're willing to pay the extra for composite decking then this may be worth having quoted as well.

Whatever you decide on just make sure the contractor writes down what brand they plan to use and then double check that they're actually installing what they quoted on.

As a side note we have Brazilian Walnut (Ipe) hardwood floors installed throughout our main and second floor and it's held up extremely well for seven years now. Only some minor scratching at the bottom of the stairs. This is with daily wear from three dogs and two kids.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/21/18 10:28 a.m.

In reply to Wayslow :

You can't build with composite the same as you do wood. You have to adjust for it's weakness. Ours has held up extremely well. We were replacing half the pressure treated boards yearly on the old deck because they'd twist, warp and snap. 

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
9/21/18 11:30 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

The issue isn't with the additional framing required it's with the aging of the composite decking material. Pressure treated lumber tends to be made from the cheapest spruce or fir the mill can source hence the warping. If you're happy with the look and texture of  composite decking then have at it.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/21/18 4:54 p.m.

In reply to Wayslow :

That’s what I’m saying. Ours hasn’t aged in 7 years where the wood would have looked terrible. Plus no maintenance. There’s a lot of composite decking makers/types/styles out there. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/18 6:59 a.m.

I would recommend Accoia wood. It is like petrified wood. Can be painted but will age like white cedar if it is not treated. Price is similar to pvc but it is wood so you don’t have to deal with the thermal expansion of pvc.  Also pvc feels hotter because it is denser than many woods and as such absorbs more energy. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a9byZDZdDlnmWzLHs1j1IJHIXHmBOKROfls7rRCsXbxK7pSWg0HgP1sLskJVeNT4