John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/26/09 9:47 a.m.

Yes, yes you are.

slefain
slefain Dork
5/26/09 10:01 a.m.
John Brown wrote: Yes, yes you are.

But seriously. it's all about the rehab. Do all the exercises the doc tells you, no matter what. Getting those tendons and muscles limbered back up takes weeks. I won't lie, getting your ankle cut open sucks. It will swell up and make all kids of popping noises as you exercise it, but stay on it. Ace bandages are your friend. Wrap that sucker up nice and tight after surgery.

Doing the surgery will pay off later in life. Might make the difference in walking with your grandkids or having them push you around in a wheelchair.

John Brown
5/26/09 11:12 a.m.

Now let's not start talking nonsense here. Those little bastards should be happy to push me... when I was a kid I had to push BOTH my grandparents... UPHILL... BOTH WAYS!

mtn
mtn Dork
5/26/09 11:25 a.m.
John Brown wrote: UPHILL... BOTH WAYS!

And yet I never hear about the downhill both ways part.

RossD
RossD Reader
5/26/09 10:27 p.m.

I was in wrestling since 5th grade and one of our stretches up through H.S. was always to walk around with our feet tilted inwards so we were kinda walking on the outside of our ankles. I think that this has kept me for ever turning an ankle since I'll stumble and find my foot in that stretch position and it has never hurts. Or I'm just built different .

My one accident was when I smashed my face into the road as I went over the handle bars of my bike. My two upper front teeth were pushed back into my mouth so their were actually behind my lower teeth. One of them shattered through my lip, halfway up to the gum. After a trip to the ER, the next day I went to the dentist. The doc asked me if I wanted him to move my two front teeth back to where they were supposed to be or wait until they move back by themselves. I asked if I'd be able to eat if we waited; he said 'no'. I said quickly 'lets move them'. He froze my nerves on both sides of my upper jaw and put his knee on my chest and stuck his two thumbs up in my mouth and pulled on the 'gum ridge' thats up there and then said 'bite down real hard'. He used that blue light stuff across my four front teeth and it looked like I just got done eating wonderbread and didnt clean the bread of my teeth. A root canal and a cap later it still looks different than the rest of my teeth .

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo New Reader
5/27/09 1:27 a.m.

i stepped wrong at work and rolled my left ankle, HARD. heard 4 loud pops. ripped every tendon. they didnt have to cut, but i couldnt work for weeks. they sent me to a rehab place, and the guy there was BRUTAL. i thought he was going to make it worse. i hurt for hours after each session. but once we were done, my ankle is now strong enough that i can stop it from rolling, and just fall. listen to the rehab people, and do what your told. also, watch where you walk...

-J0N

John Brown
7/13/09 7:52 a.m.

So, I am back.

The surgery went pretty well. It seems the small shadowy section on the ankle that "could be arthritic" was a quarter sized piece of bone from the side of the ankle. It actually made their processes easier.

The most uncomfortable thing about the entire process is that I am stuck with the boot on 24/7 minus shower time. If I try to walk without it I can destroy the entire job and it will not be as fun the second time around.

The boot reduces me to passenger status pretty much anywhere I go. I have a trick to getting around it (hence me being at work) but the whole deal is not too fun.

Pain is tolerable for the most part, The boot is more of an irritant than the incision site. It isn't shaped well for my calf and it cuts in pretty well.

Anyway, I missed, Michael, Billy and all of the best of GRM for the last two weeks, but I will walk away from the experience ;)

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
7/13/09 8:21 a.m.

was wondering were you were

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/13/09 9:46 a.m.

Glad you are back!

Over the weekend, I found out that my 52 y/o brother (I'm 51) has to have a hip replacement. Dayumn. That's weird; I was the one who did all the stupid stuff, dislocated his left knee and broke the same leg, broke ribs, all that crap but HE is the one with hip joint failure. Go figger.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/13/09 10:04 a.m.
Jensenman wrote: Over the weekend, I found out that my 52 y/o brother (I'm 51) has to have a hip replacement. Dayumn. That's weird; I was the one who did all the stupid stuff, dislocated his left knee and broke the same leg, broke ribs, all that crap but HE is the one with hip joint failure. Go figger.

Maybe because you dislocated his knee, broke his leg and ribs Mmmm Ribs

John Brown said:

The most uncomfortable thing about the entire process is that I am stuck with the boot on 24/7 minus shower time. If I try to walk without it I can destroy the entire job and it will not be as fun the second time around.

Glad it went well, and don't worry about the boot being too tight. My calf shrank to fit it in a couple weeks. The fun part is when you take it off and try to walk on whats left of your leg muscle.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/13/09 10:15 a.m.

I was wonderin' about you also John Brown! Glad to hear you're still kickin', what with all the other celebs dropping like flies lately

Mental
Mental SuperDork
7/13/09 1:18 p.m.

The Muffin Man trancends the abilities of mere celebraties.

Good to hear you're doing well JB

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/13/09 3:52 p.m.
Wally wrote:
Jensenman wrote: Over the weekend, I found out that my 52 y/o brother (I'm 51) has to have a hip replacement. Dayumn. That's weird; I was the one who did all the stupid stuff, dislocated his left knee and broke the same leg, broke ribs, all that crap but HE is the one with hip joint failure. Go figger.
Maybe because you dislocated his knee, broke his leg and ribs Mmmm Ribs John Brown said: The most uncomfortable thing about the entire process is that I am stuck with the boot on 24/7 minus shower time. If I try to walk without it I can destroy the entire job and it will not be as fun the second time around. Glad it went well, and don't worry about the boot being too tight. My calf shrank to fit it in a couple weeks. The fun part is when you take it off and try to walk on whats left of your leg muscle.

Well, he was asking for it.

When I got my left leg out of the first cast after about 3 weeks, it was a big suprise to see how much it had shriveled. The second cast was on for about another 6 weeks, when it came off my leg looked like a TOOTHPICK.

John Brown
7/13/09 4:26 p.m.

Toothpicks are the preferred method for moving meatballs around.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RAuSHyNcADnp5eFXN7twK8QCbsAStmIw2n8M0CeXBne5NF9qePV1cbSn6eNBuVBS