1 2 3
KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
6/3/17 7:40 p.m.

Tiger Mom has been excited for weeks to see Wonder Woman. So this afternoon we went......and it was awesome! I want to see, and I want my daughter to see, strong women in leading roles. It's amazing how much the fairer sex can accomplish and how much they get held back by society.

I know, that's a lot to pile on the (stunning) shoulders of Ms. Gadot but she's a superhero so it should be ok.

TLDR: go see Wonder Woman. Strong ticket sales will go a long way to helping change the world for the better.

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
6/3/17 7:52 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad: Just got home from seeing it. It is not only well-scripted, nicely cast and littered with good performances, it's entertaining without the WTF?!? factor that the Superman movies had. This one made sense and I thoroughly enjoyed it. And, since Diana is a god (IIRC Child of Zeus, Brother of Ares, NOT a demigod) she is theoretically stronger than Superman...

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/3/17 8:36 p.m.

I'm hearing nothing but good. Glad to see that the DCEU seems to finally have an unqualified winner.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
6/3/17 8:43 p.m.

This is another one of those terrible comics with E36 M3 stories that turns to gold in the movies. I saw the trailer and immediately thought of the Captain America flicks. The weakest-ass "Hey Kids! Join the Army" comic ever turned into the best of all of the origin stories for the Avengers on the big screen with a good crew re-writing it.

The trailer for this was good... and you guys are vouching so... I suppose I'll head on out to the theater on a rainy Sunday.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/3/17 8:58 p.m.

I'm glad for once, someone got a dc character right that wasn't berkeleying batman. I'll have to make an effort to see this. Swmbo is very pro girl, so this will appease her.

Kramer
Kramer Dork
6/3/17 9:11 p.m.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I have absolutely no interest in any superhero movie. I did watch The Dark Knight at an Imax because a friend invited me (and I enjoyed it). Not enough to see any other one, though.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
6/4/17 12:04 a.m.

And geez gal gadot is about the least terrible thing to watch. I wouldn't hate watching her movies.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/17 8:54 a.m.

this ranks up there with my other favourite kick ass female led story. "Alien". Between the two of them, I wish more action movies had strong leads like them.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/17 8:59 a.m.

My question.

Is the movie about the "Statment" or is it actually entertaining.

There is so much drivel coming out of Hollywood, I pretty much always wait for the free rental on Amazon. Is this any different from every other rehashed comic that Hollywood has done? Or is it just another dark, depressing, super hero, with personality disorders?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/4/17 9:50 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: My question. Is the movie about the "Statment" or is it actually entertaining. There is so much drivel coming out of Hollywood, I pretty much always wait for the free rental on Amazon. Is this any different from every other rehashed comic that Hollywood has done? Or is it just another dark, depressing, super hero, with personality disorders?

I still haven't seen it, but I've been paying attention to the reviews and am looking forward to it.

Not sure what you mean by "statement". Reviews have been positive for this just being a fun movie; that it is not some agenda piece trying to cram a message down your throat. That it can be watched as sort of older school feminist in the same way as the Alien movies, in that you have a good, strong, believable female lead. But ultimately is just a well done super hero action flick where the heroine happens to be a badass woman.

From what I gather from reviews, this is not a story of a dark, depressing, hero with personality disorders. Granted, she gets dropped into WWI, which is pretty dark and depressing, but supposedly the character of Diana is not. From what I have heard she has a certain level of sheltered naivete from never having experienced the wider world, but is otherwise intelligent and emotionally balanced.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/4/17 9:56 a.m.

I find it fairly ironic and somewhat disappointing that while the main topic here is strong, intelligent female leads, 20% of the posts are about how hot she is. The two are not mutually exclusive, but still.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/4/17 10:18 a.m.
Duke wrote: I find it fairly ironic and somewhat disappointing that while the main topic here is strong, intelligent female leads, 20% of the posts are about how hot she is. The two are not mutually exclusive, but *still*.

Well, those are traits people usually find desirable. If you want strong, smart, healthy babies, you want a strong, smart, healthy mate. I mean, women find strong, intelligent, skilled men totally hot too...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/4/17 10:35 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron:

Agreed, to an extent. Hence my point about strength and intelligence not contradicting attractiveness. But those traits have nothing to do with how you look in silly lingerie.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/4/17 10:36 a.m.

In reply to Duke:

Chris

Chris

...and Chris

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
6/4/17 10:51 a.m.

The Long Kiss Goodnight. Geena Davis.

You want a strong female lead, there you go.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
6/4/17 11:50 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: The Long Kiss Goodnight. Geena Davis. You want a strong female lead, there you go.

Kill Bill Vol. 1

All the badasses are female roles.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/4/17 12:08 p.m.

WW is actually one of my favorite DC characters. She's not a Bob Costas like a lot of the Justice League characters. And if you read a lot of the DC series from the last 20 years you'll see that she's a warrior who has no problem chopping baddies down (for good) and she enjoys the fight.

Ricky Spanish
Ricky Spanish Reader
6/4/17 12:42 p.m.
Kramer wrote: Maybe I'm the only one, but I have absolutely no interest in any superhero movie. I did watch The Dark Knight at an Imax because a friend invited me (and I enjoyed it). Not enough to see any other one, though.

I'm with you - they're pretty much universally dreadful, even when people say they're good.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/17 12:56 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron:

Good. I like entertaining flicks. I like good guys or gals who are good and bad guys that die or at least get what is coming to them. The tendency for Hollywood to make leading characters psycho is getting old.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
6/4/17 1:05 p.m.

In reply to Kramer:

You are not the only one.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
6/4/17 1:13 p.m.
Duke wrote: I find it fairly ironic and somewhat disappointing that while the main topic here is strong, intelligent female leads, 20% of the posts are about how hot she is. The two are not mutually exclusive, but *still*.

I dunno. I wouldn't read to much into it. Will I see the dark tower as it's a movie adaptation of the best books ever written? Of course! I hope Roland is portrayed as noble and as moral as his carachter is. But that doesn't change the fact that idris Elba is dreamy af, and I would go see it simply because he's awesome to watch, and should have been the next bond. I think it's fine having lead actors be good looking, as for one, some people (not necessarily you) feel like you can write off a pretty woman as just a pretty face (I have a female acquaintance who is not the most beautiful conventionally, and she does that to pretty women) and two, it doesn't matter how good your message is if no one goes to see your movie if the lead is not nice to look at. My favorite female lead lately was Emily Blount in Sicario. So awesome. She was perfect for it. Gorgeous, strong, scared and desperate to do the right thing. All the things I wish I was, male or female!

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
6/4/17 1:24 p.m.
Tiger Mom has been excited for weeks to see Wonder Woman. So this afternoon we went......and it was awesome! I want to see, and I want my daughter to see, strong women in leading roles. It's amazing how much the fairer sex can accomplish and how much they get held back by society. I know, that's a lot to pile on the (stunning) shoulders of Ms. Gadot but she's a superhero so it should be ok. TLDR: go see Wonder Woman. Strong ticket sales will go a long way to helping change the world fo

Okay, what am I missing? I've heard this frequently about this movie, but we've had strong female lead rolls for decades. So much so that no one even mentions it anymore, it's normal. Except for this one? Did this movie get delayed 20-30 years and they went with press releases from back then? What about this is different and "world changing?"

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/4/17 2:52 p.m.
T.J. wrote: In reply to Kramer: You are not the only one.

That's fine, but can I ask why you feel the need to click on a thread about a superhero movie and tell everyone that you don't like superhero movies?

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/17 4:01 p.m.
Boost_Crazy wrote:
Tiger Mom has been excited for weeks to see Wonder Woman. So this afternoon we went......and it was awesome! I want to see, and I want my daughter to see, strong women in leading roles. It's amazing how much the fairer sex can accomplish and how much they get held back by society. I know, that's a lot to pile on the (stunning) shoulders of Ms. Gadot but she's a superhero so it should be ok. TLDR: go see Wonder Woman. Strong ticket sales will go a long way to helping change the world fo
Okay, what am I missing? I've heard this frequently about this movie, but we've had strong female lead rolls for decades. So much so that no one even mentions it anymore, it's normal. Except for this one? Did this movie get delayed 20-30 years and they went with press releases from back then? What about this is different and "world changing?"

This is the first Super Hero movie with a woman as the one and only lead.

There have been super hero movies where the female was a main character or more likely, a supporting character.

The fact that Hollywood still doesn't seem to understand that she doesn't need to be saved by a man or fall in love with a man to make her an interesting character is one of the main issues this movie and similar ones before it are truly fighting to change.

For an example how NOT to do a female "super hero" movie, look at Catwoman. It was horrible and earned several Razzies.

Also see: SuperGirl for further examples of poorly made female superhero movies.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/17 6:47 p.m.

the only trouble I see with WW winning anything, the Academy Awards are pretty harsh on super hero movies. The best thing about the superhero genre though, except for Spider-Man and batman, no excessive "reboots" of existing movies over and over and over again

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cwKVuomHznCxzox0MJcusc24xg5cJJB7quRQmb3gAAmsMjn4BxvS75qmkVIdMQ1H