1 2 3
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/13/17 5:50 p.m.

Good movie, but it has the issue that most DC super heroes seem to have, they are almost all powerful. They made Wonder Woman essentially a god! It's not even clear if a bullet would do anything to her! It really kills potential suspense when you realize they essentially cannot lose. She appears to be so strong she can actually jump huge distances much like the MUCH more muscular Hulk can.

I think one of the things that made Batman generally the most interesting DC hero is that he is actually a man and has the vulnerabilities that go along with that.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/13/17 6:44 p.m.

Essentially she's kind of is a God in a way, given her heritage. I mean, she should give Superman a run for his money in a fight. And she's been able to fly for the last 30 years.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/13/17 7:04 p.m.
SVreX wrote: she isn't stacked like a brick E36 M3house, she doesn't have boys falling all over her But she IS a black belt.

Don't speak so soon! Glad I have a boy.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/14/17 7:52 a.m.
aircooled wrote: I think one of the things that made Batman generally the most interesting DC hero is that he is actually a man and has the vulnerabilities that go along with that.

That reminds me of one of the more memorable moments (for me) from the (now, sadly...) old Justice League cartoon. The heroes are fighting against an alien nanomachine and the Batwing gets shot down with Batman bailing out. As he's falling he says dryly over the radio, "I've just been shot down. I'd like to remind everyone that I can't fly. long pause At all."

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/14/17 8:19 a.m.
yupididit wrote: ... And she's been able to fly for the last 30 years.

A lot of non-super heros can fly. Their planes just aren't invisible.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/17 9:04 a.m.
aircooled wrote: Good movie, but it has the issue that most DC super heroes seem to have, they are almost all powerful. They made Wonder Woman essentially a god! It's not even clear if a bullet would do anything to her! It really kills potential suspense when you realize they essentially cannot lose. She appears to be so strong she can actually jump huge distances much like the MUCH more muscular Hulk can.

From what I can tell she could be killed by a bullet just as easily as any human (see what happens to her aunt), but they gave her the power of superhuman reaction times and limb movement speed such that she can block bullets with her bracelets.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/14/17 9:49 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

Apologies for the large image

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/14/17 9:57 a.m.

How I would have changed things:

Biggest issue is that Diana was not relatable enough. She didn't have enough flaws. What were her flaws? Being a bit naive and idealistic? Yawn. Contrast her to the more popular Marvel heroes: Tony Stark is a despicable egotist, yet the writers find ways to make you like him. Steve Rogers (Cap America) is stupidly idealistic to the point where he will always do what he thinks is right even when he knows he is going to get a complete ass whooping for it. Logan... yeah... It's these weaknesses and flaws that make them relatable. They show that sticking up for what you believe in even when it means you take a beating eventually works out for the better. And that even as flawed and selfish as we are, there's hope for redemption. Or that there is dignity in just carrying on in a world that doesn't care about us. How was Diana flawed or weak? What does that tell us about who we can be?

How I would have changed the movie to make it better:

Cut the first act (on the Amazon island) about in half, and/or have a couple of Amazons go with Diana on her quest. We spend way too much time on exposition for this place and then drop it. Shorten it. Tighten it. Use it to establish Diana's flaws and weaknesses. Use the time the first act was shortened to lengthen the second act (London and the Front). Drag a couple more Amazons along for the ride to give a greater variety of perspectives. Maybe one thinks humanity worthless and a waste of time and energy. Another believes they are children who need the wisdom of the Amazons to guide and possibly rule them. Contrast that with Diana.

Change how the villain reacts. Once Diana Skywalker refuses to embrace the dark side to rule the world at the Emperor's side, rather than "Very well young Amazon, you will die," he should just shrug his shoulders and laugh. Act like he did when they first met. Just be like, "Hahaha, whatever. It doesn't matter. I've already won. They're already determined to kill each other. All I wanted to do is speed up the inevitable. But I'm immortal. I can wait an extra 1000 years. Oh, and while I was talking the plane flew off with the mustard gas! Muahahahaha!"

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/14/17 10:15 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: ...From what I can tell she could be killed by a bullet just as easily as any human (see what happens to her aunt)...

Her aunt was human, she is the daughter of Zeus!! (possibly half human?)

Another interesting note: She is Amazonian despite not coming from the Amazon. The island they are on appears to be in the Mediterranean, near Turkey. There IS an island in that area, that has bit of a historical connection to women....

...but I guess they didn't want to refer to her as a lesbian, that might cause some confusion.

pheller
pheller PowerDork
6/14/17 4:01 p.m.

"According to Pseudo-Plutarch, the Amazons lived in and about the Tanais (Greek: Τάναϊς) river (modern Don river), formerly called the Amazonian or Amazon (Greek: Ἀμαζόνιος) river, because the Amazons bathed themselves therein and later they moved to Themiscyra.[4] In addition, Strabo, in Geographica, mention that Themiscyra was the home of Amazons but later they were driven out of these places.[5]"

pheller
pheller PowerDork
6/14/17 4:14 p.m.
aircooled wrote: There IS an island in that area, that has bit of a historical connection to women.... ...but I guess they didn't want to refer to her as a lesbian, that might cause some confusion.

Funny enough, Lesbos has no history of homosexuality, even back to Greek or Roman times. It merely was the birthplace of Sapphos who's homoerotic poetry inspired the name for lesbians.

Alternatively, the Amazon's of Greek Mythology were found in an area on land near a mouth of the Terme River. Not an island.

But Islands are the making of superheros.

EDIT: Some mythology states that Amazons might have established cities and towns in Aegean Islands, but at least modern history doesn't seem to mention it much.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
6/16/17 1:11 p.m.

Here we have a bunch of male superheros covered head to toe (almost anyway) in some type of armor or protective clothing. Then there's the one female who is basically wearing a swimsuit with thigh high boots. Make out of that whatever you want. Oh yeah, the Justice League movie comes out Nov 17, if you care about that sort of thing.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
7/9/17 4:44 p.m.

Myself and Mrs. DX saw it last night and I thought it was really good. The theater was probably almost 50% female. Was it the best super hero movie i've ever seen? Probably not but pretty damn good. Gal Gadot isn't terrible to look at either.

Stupid trivia fact but Zach Snyder makes a cameo as one of the WWI soldier.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
2/21/18 9:17 a.m.

Rise old topic R I S E.....

So just saw this movie for free on HBO. This was a good movie. Only tainted by my fore knowledge that the justice league reviews indicated that they basically tried to undo a lot of the good parts of the Wonder Woman movie world building. 

My wife liked the movie and found all but the hero outfit to be awesome. I did comment back that the Hulk only has pants on out of necessity to publish the comic. They didn't have spandex back then so I don't know how they explained why all his clothes tore apart except for his underpants and pants tops. Thor and Captain America had their flesh showing moments. Heck even the Star Wars last jedi movie had lots of kylo ren abs time. Also as the most powerful person in the Justice League and historical ties to USA versions of Greek Gods she is probably dressed appropriately.  Anyhow it was explained to me that women are divided on if female heroes should be sexy or neutral to sexuality.  Some women believe that female sexuality is just part of what some feel defines feminine and only male views of it are not positive. Others feel that humans are heroes or not regardless of their sexuality. I can see the parallel in many other topics, Flawed heroes vs antiheros vs flawless heroes everyone has a preference. 

My biggest negative was the lack of technological progress or god magic to counter human's tech. I mean I know they tried to explain it away as the queen was an isolationist so no one on the island could learn about guns etc. But that just didn't make sense. They have watched and interacted with humans for centuries and must have seen their advancements before going to the island. I think they could have had Wonder Woman's armor appear in a god like magic that would cover her exposed skin. Second biggest gripe was related to the first. Anyone storming the beaches of the Amazon home island should have been decimated with no casualties on the defenders' side. All they do was practice war but then they just sprint headlong into a flurry of bullets. No tactics whatsoever? That beach scene actually seemed rather off tone to the rest of the movie and reminded me mostly of Asian action movie grand attack scenes. Probably the production's throw in for the Chinese movie market. 

The ending was odd as I saw no value for the bad guy to show his face to Princess Diana. He had nothing to gain. His best win situation was to just let her be but then another side of that is I guess in this movie he is single minded on war and therefore couldn't resist the chance to battle her.  IF he stayed a mystery then Wonder Woman might have had the need to engage the greatest detective in the world to figure out where the god of war was hiding. Wonder Woman/Batman vs Aeres/Joker.....Go

If they clean up some of the errors for WW2 then it will be as epic a movie for a superhero as the Captain America Winter Soldier was. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jxJOlwbI7CXAOBzWvxtZNwDcogWua7Y6DIGxJ1Rdj7qBN55nZbAr4TlW3U0VaM3D