1 ... 4 5 6
Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
9/20/15 11:26 a.m.

Working/non-working ovaries ain't the problem - it's the loudmouths trying to prove they're still "stand-up" guys.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/20/15 5:44 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: What about a "Hide Thread" button? If a thread becomes such a E36 M3 storm that you don't want to see it, click the button and it doesn't show up on the page anymore. If enough people click "Hide Thread" it disappears for everyone who has not already posted in that thread.

If you know the thread is a E36 M3storm, just don't open it. How hard is it to not read something? There's threads here that I never open. Some I peeked, and backed out. Just because you (not you but in general) don't like what's going on in a thread doesn't mean all locks and bans. Just don't open it. If everyone did that the thread will die off on its own.

This forum is the most well behave and un-moderated forum I'm a part of. What's going on here is nothing. You should see the Mercedes political forum. Bunch of old white men arguing over things they don't/can't understand to the point of shooting personal insults at eachother.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
9/20/15 6:01 p.m.

Or just leave the forum the way it is, and after a while you'll be left with a half dozen people that just want to argue about everything. It's getting there.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
9/20/15 6:26 p.m.

I go to another forum, that shall not be named, mostly because the mildest threads there would likely still be ban worthy here. It has E36 M3posting down to an artform.

They really only do one kind of moderating beyond killing bots, and that is if a thread falls past what would constitute fitting discussion for a set subforum, they send it to the toilet. Which is just a sub forum only visible to members where the idiots can keep being idiots so long as it stays there.

Downvoting is a terrible idea, because every place I have been to that has it also has petulant cocks who will downvote every post you've made if you disagree with them.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/20/15 6:44 p.m.
Grizz wrote: Downvoting is a terrible idea, because every place I have been to that has it also has petulant cocks who will downvote every post you've made if you disagree with them.

It can also lead to an echo chamber effect.

No, we don't all agree with each other. That is a GOOD THING.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
9/20/15 7:48 p.m.

but some have become actual shiny happy people … there may well be some bans handed out

clean up your acts guys

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
9/20/15 7:48 p.m.
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock wrote: In reply to Trans_Maro: This isn't commercial forum software though is it?

No, it's not.

That was another bitch fest we had ages ago.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/20/15 8:17 p.m.
Grizz wrote: I go to another forum, that shall not be named, mostly because the mildest threads there would likely still be ban worthy here. It has E36 M3posting down to an artform. They really only do one kind of moderating beyond killing bots, and that is if a thread falls past what would constitute fitting discussion for a set subforum, they send it to the toilet. Which is just a sub forum only visible to members where the idiots can keep being idiots so long as it stays there. Downvoting is a terrible idea, because every place I have been to that has it also has petulant cocks who will downvote every post you've made if you disagree with them.

VAdriven lol

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
9/20/15 8:51 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: I've read that statement here at least once a year for the last 10 years.

Not really, but I get the point. There's a good reason for that sentiment. It's happening. This forum goes in fits and starts, but it's not the forum it once was.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
9/20/15 9:27 p.m.
yupididit wrote:
Beer Baron wrote: What about a "Hide Thread" button? If a thread becomes such a E36 M3 storm that you don't want to see it, click the button and it doesn't show up on the page anymore. If enough people click "Hide Thread" it disappears for everyone who has not already posted in that thread.
If you know the thread is a E36 M3storm, just don't open it. How hard is it to not read something? There's threads here that I never open. Some I peeked, and backed out. Just because you (not you but in general) don't like what's going on in a thread doesn't mean all locks and bans. Just don't open it. If everyone did that the thread will die off on its own.

I'm doing my best to adopt that tactic, but it does not solve the issue that these conversation reflect poorly on GRM. It is very reasonable that they would want to police the community under their banner, especially so that new people coming into the forum see a positive reflection of the community they're trying to represent.

It comes down to: How do we keep this a positive place that reflects well on GRM, while still giving the community a healthy amount of freedom to discuss adult topics like adults?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
9/20/15 10:35 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: No one has ever made me click on a subject and read it, much less forced me to respond to it. Don't want to discuss lane splitting or global warming? There's an easy solution, stop reading.

How dare you bring logic, common sense and reason into an internet discussion!

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/21/15 6:06 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote:
Datsun1500 wrote: Don't want to pay hosting fees so some loudmouth can disseminate his or her bullE36 M3 opinion about lane splitting or global warming? After you told them not to? There's an easy solution, ban the swirl offenders.
How dare you bring logic, common sense and reason into an internet discussion!

Fixed that for you guys. Thanks for the approval, too, TransMaro.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
9/21/15 6:49 a.m.

In reply to Datsun1500:

I was going to explain the purpose of this forum and why out-of-control discussions could reflect poorly on GRM as a business with a very public face... but... that would totally be part of the problem.

How about this: this is GRM's house. We are guests. We have to follow their rules. If they say that a particular behavior does not reflect the culture of their business, that's 100% their prerogative, and they're free to do what they want to police and kick people out who don't play by their rules.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
9/21/15 7:28 a.m.

that sort of response is part of the problem … there really aren't any "chosen few" there are LOTS of jacka$$ responses to various folk and various threads …

just stop it (not necessarily you … this is a general answer) but beware of the pending "fixes" being considered

the easy button is to express you opinion … ONCE … then leave it alone

we all pretty much know each others stands on certain subjects … if a thread comes up on one to which you feel strongly … figure the poster either feels strongly or posted as a joke/taunt or DIDN'T know (wasn't smart enough to realize that (s)he was kicking over a bees nest) … again if you (the royal you) feel you have to respond, then do so ONCE and leave the thread …

pretty easy (well I know it's not all that easy … I have to type and delete many responses) … but will greatly change the tone of many "discussions"

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
9/21/15 7:38 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
Beer Baron wrote: It comes down to: How do we keep this a positive place that reflects well on GRM, while still giving the community a healthy amount of freedom to discuss adult topics like adults?
Simple, don't get all butt hurt when someone has a different opinion. It's that easy. Adults know that there are many sides to a subject, based on the life experience of the person discussing it. People like different things, and believe different things.

The thing is, though, they don't know how to handle those sorts of threads. Your posts are an example of this. That's why we try to keep the forum a little friendlier. If it continues down this road, new people will be scared away, and current people will be scared away. In the long run, that hurts us all.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
9/21/15 7:40 a.m.

And I've got a lot to do today, so please note that the banhammer is sitting right next to my keyboard, and may be used liberally.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/21/15 7:51 a.m.

I think the comparison of a house might be a bit too nice, as in a house if you present your opinion with a heavy tone and come off as a loud mouth you make people uncomfortable, may eventually be asked to leave, but likely won't be invited back. Instead think of it as court, where everyone is welcome and encouraged to present their side, but if you come off as an ass, ignorant or pompous in nature, you get it with contempt charges and land yourself in a world of hurt. Remember people, freedom of speech is a right, with rights come responsibilities.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
9/21/15 8:10 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

+1, and glad to see ya back posting Cap'n.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
9/21/15 8:19 a.m.

well said captdownshift …

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/21/15 8:32 a.m.

Datsun1500, let me put this in terms I'm sure you'll understand: This is not an equal playing ground, this is my company's talk radio show. And in the interests of keeping it entertaining and balanced, mods WILL hit the "dump" button when they want to. You can whine all you want, but I'd suggest a more constructive approach would be to find a show where your talents are appreciated. It's obvious you already know your online persona is a source of unhappiness, since I noticed you posted that I'd met you "probably 10 times already and had no idea ."

Nevertheless, I wish you the best in your future endeavors. Don't think of forthcoming actions as negative; instead, consider them "freeing up your future."

Everyone else, I'm locking this and other threads on this entire ugly episode because I DON'T want it to be what people see when they come here--same way I don't invite people to dinner and then treat them to family bickering. Please don't start another thread about it. That will result in immediate, and pleasurable for me, exile for you.

Margie

1 ... 4 5 6

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
mEEe3a2ElJQKU4FhrylesibHLYz7jKYmyIL7AkZ8kEOcsebSVKYyIc8HC816duwQ