1 2 3
92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
6/29/11 8:23 a.m.

I find that Rolling Rock is a good "let's get dirty and wrench" beer.

Copious amounts of it are consumed at my garage. Both myself and my friend who share that garage like "The Rock," and will drink it all day.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
6/29/11 10:25 a.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Funny, I like shocktop..but that stuff's pretty high on the calorie/alc rating.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was pretty good. Generally too sweet for my taste though.

I just prefer to think of it as the best of the Fruity malt coolers (which it tastes to me like0, rather than the worst of the Belgian White Ales (which they bill it as).

KATYB wrote: i dont drink beer because after years of trying i never found one that i thought tasted remotely even edible.

Have you tried any nifty Belgian ales? Chimay, Blanche de Bruxelles, maybe a Framboise (raspberry lambic), or other nifty things like that are good. Not readily available everywhere though.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
6/29/11 11:24 a.m.

We drink wine, but only after the work on the car is done with. Tried it the other way and it takes twice as long to fix the screw ups before moving ahead again...

KATYB
KATYB Reader
6/29/11 11:34 a.m.

I have tried a lot of microbrewerie things some that were things like blueberry and strawberry and still had the same problem.

92CelicaHalfTrac
6/29/11 11:35 a.m.

Give Wild Blue a try.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
6/29/11 11:41 a.m.

In reply to KATYB:

With all due respect for salinas and celica, don't.

not that beer isn't good for most. But the reason to not drink martinis is just as weak as the reason to drink beer. Stick with your drink.

imho.

I'm a wine guy, personally. But have been venturing into rum and bourbon, neat, recently.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
6/29/11 11:47 a.m.
KATYB wrote: i dont drink beer because after years of trying i never found one that i thought tasted remotely even edible.

If you like Mikes, try Leinenkugel Summer Shady.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
6/29/11 11:51 a.m.
Salanis wrote:
Per Schroeder wrote: Funny, I like shocktop..but that stuff's pretty high on the calorie/alc rating.
I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was pretty good. Generally too sweet for my taste though. I just prefer to think of it as the best of the Fruity malt coolers (which it tastes to me like0, rather than the worst of the Belgian White Ales (which they bill it as).
Have you tried any nifty Belgian ales? Chimay, Blanche de Bruxelles, maybe a Framboise (raspberry lambic), or other nifty things like that are good. Not readily available everywhere though.

I used to hate beer with a passion until I visited the UK - now I have been trying to find good beer. Maybe I need to talk to the GRM brewer about that...

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
6/29/11 12:09 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: I used to hate beer with a passion until I visited the UK - now I have been trying to find good beer. Maybe I need to talk to the GRM brewer about that...

There's several GRM brewers on here. I'd be happy to make suggestions to help you find good beer. Unfortunately, I don't know what sort of selection you're likely to find around there, since I'm way out on the west coast. Also, depends a lot on your particular tastes.

If you're into well done British styles, I'd look for stuff put out by Shipyard Brewing. http://www.shipyard.com/ Old Thumper is good, close to an ESB. They really work hard to be true to English production standards, down to having their water certified as having been properly conditioned to the same mineral composition profile as used at a particular English brewery (Ringwood Brewing, I believe).

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
6/29/11 12:34 p.m.

Hmmm so what should I be drinking when working on the Olds?

At the moment I think I only have the remnants of a six pack of Long Board ale and half a bottle of Pendelton Whiskey.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
6/29/11 12:37 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Have you tried any nifty Belgian ales? Chimay, Blanche de Bruxelles, maybe a Framboise (raspberry lambic), or other nifty things like that are good. Not readily available everywhere though.

Funny.... I am a beer lover. Passionate about it, home brewer, beer snob..ect. But I consider those belgian ales to be an acquired taste that is just not worth acquiring. Anything spontaneously fermented ( IE left to sit in an open container until enough yeast from the atmosphere settles in and starts fermentation ) tastes rancid and sour to me.

As far as wine goes, as good as it can be it will never be a refreshing drink on a hot day.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/29/11 12:39 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
If you like Mikes, try Leinenkugel Summer Shady.

Ugh. That stuff needs to make up it's mind what it wants to be.

It needs to either be more lemon-y or more beer-y. Right now it's in that middle ground where i just can't stand it.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
6/29/11 12:39 p.m.

I will drink whatever beer is in fridge when working on a car.

92CelicaHalfTrac
6/29/11 12:40 p.m.
rebelgtp wrote: Hmmm so what should I be drinking when working on the Olds? At the moment I think I only have the remnants of a six pack of Long Board ale and half a bottle of Pendelton Whiskey.

The whiskey will do. Bonus points for a straw hat.

KATYB
KATYB Reader
6/29/11 12:52 p.m.

and really if yall think the fact that i drink appletinis well working on the car you should be around when ill hear a funny sound while driving and have to fix it right then by pulling into an autoparts store and diaging it and fixing it right there. like last year headed to a black tie christmas party

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
6/29/11 1:48 p.m.
ransom wrote: BMW: Anything from Ayinger

How about a Reisling? German wine is a lot better than wine snobs give it credit for.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
6/29/11 1:49 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
How about a Reisling? German wine is a lot better than wine snobs give it credit for.

Since those wine snobs are likely driving BMWs why would they drink it?

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/29/11 2:54 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:

It was really just the first thing that sprang to mind. I'm no wine snob (or aficionado), but I'll be in Trier in about two weeks, so I'll have to give some of that region's wine a try... Though I expect to do more sampling of the goods from Ayinger, Hacker Pschorr, and Erdinger, (and Weihenstephaner, Spaten, Paulaner...), being more of a beer person.

Truth be told, I don't usually drink while working on the car, and I'm really more prone to British and local beers when I'm done or done enough... Even working on a German car.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
6/29/11 3:03 p.m.

Shock Top is one of the few beers I'll turn down if provided free. Stuff is E36 M3.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
6/29/11 3:03 p.m.

Alcohol and tools don't mix...save the beer for after you're done working on the car.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
6/29/11 3:05 p.m.
racinginc215 wrote:
Twin_Cam wrote:
KATYB wrote: i will litterly drink appletinis while working on the cars.
I've never heard anything more ridiculous. I don't drink while working on cars. And that's why I drive stock Saturns and I've yet to swap a LSx into it..
Fixed that for ya.

Thanks, I knew there was something I was missing

I would if an LSx would fit into the engine bay nicely. And I had a garage. And a welder. And a lift. And an air compressor and all sorts of cool air tools. And a better hand-tool collection. And wasn't paying for a wedding right now. And I had another car for a DD. And and and and...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
6/29/11 3:05 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Alcohol and tools don't mix...save the beer for after you're done working on the car.

There is a difference between having a beer and getting drunk. I like to have a beer maybe two while working.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
6/29/11 3:08 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: Funny.... I am a beer lover. Passionate about it, home brewer, beer snob..ect. But I consider those belgian ales to be an acquired taste that is just not worth acquiring. Anything spontaneously fermented ( IE left to sit in an open container until enough yeast from the atmosphere settles in and starts fermentation ) tastes rancid and sour to me.

Very few Belgian ales are spontaneously fermented (and most of those don't actually ferment spontaneously, they just maintain cultures of wild yeast and particular bacteria). About the only ones are traditional Lambics and Flanders Red. The vast majority of Belgian beers are pretty standard ales. Of the beers I listed, only the Framboise would be a "sour" lambic, but what you'll usually find is Lindeman's, which is rather sweet.

Recently I had a very good unsoured Framboise, La Choulette: http://brewercameron.wordpress.com/2011/06/08/la-choulette-framboise/ It's a raspberry beer, but the base style is actually a Biere de Garde (French Farmhouse ale, a bit like a smoother saison) instead of Lambic.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/3/14 7:16 p.m.

I was just having some La Ceoulette while working on the Saab. The two activities went together so well that I went online to look up this beer and this thread came up as a result. The thread has me wondering: Is La Ceoulette really the best beer for working on a Saab?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
1/3/14 7:21 p.m.

Last night after working on my friends car, I had a glass of red wine in order to get the awful taste of Bud Select out of my moth.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vuBhTkHaFQrYjFLHyrKDv0FtRTUmBWMR9SiFmecubaVkcp5cKFkRbpJfbE5D3Ugd