1 2
Volksroddin
Volksroddin New Reader
5/27/08 9:21 p.m.

If I could only have one car regardless of coast?

73' 911 Carrera RS

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/27/08 9:32 p.m.

1969 AMC AMX III (The rear engined 1 of 6 Italian bodied 390 powered monster).

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
5/27/08 11:09 p.m.

As my only transportation? ... Have to daily drive it all year long?

Evo X ... I live with snow (very un-grassroots answer but it's honest)

Jeff

MrJoshua
MrJoshua Dork
5/27/08 11:16 p.m.

M5

GlennS
GlennS Reader
5/27/08 11:19 p.m.

the one that has "insert girl of your dreams" riding shotgun.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent
5/27/08 11:28 p.m.

Tatra T87

gamby
gamby SuperDork
5/27/08 11:52 p.m.
P71 wrote: 1969 AMC AMX III (The rear engined 1 of 6 Italian bodied 390 powered monster).

Pics, please.

I wouldn't want to drive it (because it's a miserably uncomfortable experience), but an LP400S Countach.

Such a cliche, but hey--that was the fantasy car as a kid in the early 80's. :grin:

edit--

If I actually have to drive it??? I dunno. GT3 RS in that Crayola Green???

cxhb
cxhb
5/27/08 11:59 p.m.

...not my civic? does that count?

Nomad
Nomad New Reader
5/28/08 12:44 a.m.

bugatti veyron

I'd auction it off and then buy a moped.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/28/08 1:28 a.m.
gamby wrote:
P71 wrote: 1969 AMC AMX III (The rear engined 1 of 6 Italian bodied 390 powered monster).
Pics, please.

Sure! The AMX/3 was Richard "Dick" Teague's ultimate (and favorite) car design. A mid-engined 340HP/430FtLbs V8-powered brute with an Italian style body and AMC quirkiness. Not to mention a storied history!

AMX/3 History

Note that the "list" of where the cars are at is WAY out of date.

This one is MUCH better! "New" list of AMX/3's

The AMX/3 is found! AMX/3 #0 AMX/3 #1 found in Oregon and now being reproduced New AMX/3 Fiberglass bodies It's not technically one of the 5, though it is one of the "6" referred to in all modern articles. This is the one being reproduced.

3 and #5 sat outside the AMC HQ for a LONG time until Teague rescued them and restored them. #3 was Light Blue and is now Red (and the restored one in the Peterson Museum).

Read more about #3 and #5 and the whole AMX/3 story: AMX/3 History

3 was Teague's personal car.

7-10 don't exist "per say", but there were 10 oil pans built. Also there were ~31 OTO tranaxles made.

I should note that each car has slightly different nose and tail/taillight styling.

(My grandad bought the AMX Turbo PPG Pace Car from Dick Teague (among other cars...), I have kind of a family "in" on AMC's :cool: ).

Nomad
Nomad New Reader
5/28/08 2:39 a.m.

hey, it's got a speedracer front end :nice:

Luke
Luke HalfDork
5/28/08 3:56 a.m.

A 911 would be nice and practical. However, I'd go for a Miura SV in lime green and learn to live with it.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan New Reader
5/28/08 4:08 a.m.

wish I had some digital pics but, my 1978 120y 2dr would be the only car I would ever own. 'cept for my father's Hillman Hunter, tarmac spec sister car to the London to Sydney winning Hunter. :nice:

h0ser81
h0ser81 None
5/28/08 4:14 a.m.

E30 M3 would be my pick. Kind of boring but I love that car.

grtechguy
grtechguy Dork
5/28/08 5:28 a.m.

Another vote for an M5 here.

I have 3 kids. needs something big enough.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
5/28/08 6:02 a.m.

Volvo 245. You can do literally anything with one of those.

Arthur Dent, if I were going with Tatra, I'd have to take the T-603. Both are gorgeous car though.

Tatra T-603 back

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
5/28/08 7:48 a.m.

E63 AMG Wagon :twisted:

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
5/28/08 7:57 a.m.

My BMW M535i is about the closest thing I've found to a universal car. Looks good, goes reasonably fast and handles well, is comfortable with plenty of room inside and in the trunk, and gets good mileage.

Jay
Jay HalfDork
5/28/08 8:21 a.m.

Stuart, you need to put that on Reader's Rides so I can upvote it. Man that's sexy.

Much as I like the Lotus, I'd have to say my Starion would be a better "only car ever" car. It's got good looks and uniqueness like the Lotus, it's fun to drive and gets lots of (good) attention, but also has rear seats (for midgets anyway), decent room for hauling, a roof, and is a little more of an open canvas in terms of upgradability. On that note I would ditch the wonky TBI and sixty miles of vacuum lines for a nice MPI setup.

I don't think I could stomach driving something mundane that "blends into traffic." Booooring.

> J

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/28/08 8:47 a.m.

I am going to answer this a loosely as possible, because there can be no real "One car" answer for my situation.

For DRIVING back and forth to work an Audi A8L, simply an awesome utility item. I would need it for the wife and both kids.

For me personally, kids not withstanding, I would say a new Skyline GTR.

If money and resources were unlimited I would like to build a carbon fiber removeable top for the Volkswagen EOS remove all of the electric top stuff. Add more lightness and a bit more power and I would be happy.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/28/08 9:06 a.m.

I'm with John Brown, there is no real 1 car for me. If I HAD to go back to just 1 car, though, I think I'd do a E30 325is. Four seats, handles pretty well, reasonable comfort, performance and mileage, big aftermarket. No 'vert, though.

And that AMXIII is sweet! I had no idea AMC even leaned that way, given the Pacer, Matador and Gremlin 'styling'.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/28/08 9:58 a.m.

+1 for M5. Make mine an E39 please.

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
5/28/08 10:25 a.m.

I'm going to have to go with the new STi. The new STi may be as ugly as sin and expensive, but I can use it all-year round, it'll carry a crapload of stuff, it's roomy and comfy enough that my passengers won't whine about riding in it, and most importantly, it's a stupid-fast car. Like, FTD fast in autocross.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
5/28/08 10:32 a.m.

Hmm. Like Mr. Brown, I can't really narrow it down to one car, due to so many different requirements I want in a vehicle. Towing a travel trailer and autocross are diametrically opposed. And two seaters simply won't work as an only car for me anymore.

That being said, with my own money on the line, the car that does the absolute most of what I want in a car, while giving up the least, ended up being the one I bought. it was tight between the E39 5 series and E38 7 series, but for the money, the 7er came out ahead. Even so, it simply can't do everything. Good thing we don't have to have just one car in reality. :grin:

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
5/28/08 10:43 a.m.

Ford GT

It might not be the best car around but I think it's sex on wheels.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V3cKBr5uTVxK0PHM89Z5o5I3EKhUuuuw82HVbHF4msdSEZnBlpUYM8EFQCLxwsgh