Part out cars.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
4/22/14 5:17 p.m.

Invest the money and go get a job.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/22/14 5:27 p.m.

Something internet based, so I could live in the middle of nowhere and only have to see the UPS man once a day.

I'm still working on what.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
4/22/14 5:48 p.m.

I would sqander it on hookers and blow.

Seriously? I would get in on the ground floor of some legalized weed situation. Immediately.

DustoffDave
DustoffDave HalfDork
4/22/14 5:55 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Something internet based, so I could live in the middle of nowhere and only have to see the UPS man once a day. I'm still working on what.

This. I would love to do this and be a work-from-home dad. But, the "what" is the question...

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
4/22/14 6:08 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: Invest the money and go get a job.

I know some folks that own their own business and they should probably wrap it up and get a job for sanity's and their families sake and well being.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/22/14 6:32 p.m.

The legal pot thing is good.... I'd look at a liquor store. Craft beef and white whiskey.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/22/14 7:03 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: Invest the money and go get a job.

This is probably the best thing to do if you don't have an idea waiting for $40k to really push it over the top.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
4/22/14 7:37 p.m.

Industrial smoothing.

Seriously though, I'm thinking powder coating. Ties in with automotive, but you make your money powder coating wrought iron fences and gates. Get it with a few contractors, build specialty ovens, etc. On the side, powder coat bike frames, car frames etc. Have a shop big enough for a lift where you can dick around with your car when work gets slow, or when its fast enough that you have 3 employees humping the ovens 12 hrs a day while you "supervise". Fairly low overhead.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/22/14 7:47 p.m.

In reply to Teh E36 M3:

I know a powder coating shop for sale if you want it.

But you won't buy it for $40K.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
4/22/14 7:59 p.m.

can you flip cars? is there a sweet spot on price?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/22/14 8:18 p.m.

To answer the thread title question, I'd use it as a down payment on a nice investment rental property.

But that doesn't mean I'd recommend that for someone else.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
4/22/14 8:25 p.m.

purchase all (much) of the equipment I need to set up my cylinder head shop

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/22/14 8:27 p.m.
SVreX wrote: To answer the thread title question, I'd use it as a down payment on a nice investment rental property. But that doesn't mean I'd recommend that for someone else.

This would also be an option and a good idea.

The office park my company is in, is for sale. I've been trying to figure out a way to buy it. It would pay for itself in about 10-15 years, and then net about $14K a month. Unfortunately, financing $900K is kind of tough and my pockets aren't that deep.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/22/14 8:55 p.m.

breakfast and lunch only greasy spoon diner. the stupid suburban towns i live nearest to are sorely lacking, and if i closed at 1 i would be able to screw around with cars all day.

thankfully though, my business is successful so i don't need to start another one anytime soon. i love cooking but i think i'd hate to cook for a living.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
4/22/14 8:57 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: Industrial smoothing. Seriously though, I'm thinking powder coating. Ties in with automotive, but you make your money powder coating wrought iron fences and gates. Get it with a few contractors, build specialty ovens, etc. On the side, powder coat bike frames, car frames etc. Have a shop big enough for a lift where you can dick around with your car when work gets slow, or when its fast enough that you have 3 employees humping the ovens 12 hrs a day while you "supervise". Fairly low overhead.

With all those electric ovens your utility bill may be $40k/year.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
4/22/14 9:27 p.m.
patgizz wrote: breakfast and lunch only greasy spoon diner. the stupid suburban towns i live nearest to are sorely lacking, and if i closed at 1 i would be able to screw around with cars all day. thankfully though, my business is successful so i don't need to start another one anytime soon. i love cooking but i think i'd hate to cook for a living.

It irks me when breakfast places aren't open at working class hours. The earlier I work, the hungrier I am for greasier food.

calteg
calteg Reader
4/22/14 9:57 p.m.

Flipping cars, which is what I'm doing now

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
4/22/14 11:34 p.m.

I would have invested in a P.B.Loco peanut butter store, but since the stores are all closed and the franchiser has gone out of business, I should have put the money in a savings account and stayed at my shop.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/14 12:02 a.m.

I'd buy a 3D printer and do rapid prototyping.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/23/14 1:13 a.m.

Hotrod/custom shop. Period.

It wouldn't be a wise use of the money, but that is my business dream. You want me to turn your 68 Caddy into a Batmobile? Great. You want me to make your 68 'Cuda into a mid-engined Ferrari-killer? I can do this. Complete custom road-race suspension for your E30? Got it... complete from scratch.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
4/23/14 4:24 a.m.
patgizz wrote: breakfast and lunch only greasy spoon diner. the stupid suburban towns i live nearest to are sorely lacking, and if i closed at 1 i would be able to screw around with cars all day. thankfully though, my business is successful so i don't need to start another one anytime soon. i love cooking but i think i'd hate to cook for a living.

More like close at 1, leave at 3, spend the rest of the day prepping for the next day......have just enough time to eat an early dinner and drink beer because you're going to bed early.

Because you'll be back at 3am if you want to be open at 6.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
4/23/14 6:36 a.m.

Spirits. Find a local craft brewer and invest in making them a craft distiller.

Basically, a decent something to do when I retire.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
4/23/14 7:54 a.m.

I wish it were enough to start a fab shop, but that would buy maybe one or two pieces of equipment. All I want to do is build something. It doesn't matter what I build, someone will buy what I'm making.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qo9f0n9uaoqeeVp6TftwLRaKU30fJZ74AJxiEXlgHMyT9Fo8vcmzjgz04r9Pw9by