1 2 3 4
mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/20 6:40 p.m.

While this only applies to New Jersey,  it is important stuff!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/8/20 6:47 p.m.

In reply to BionicTigerShark (Forum Supporter) :

Further enforcing my belief that New Hampshire is "Live Free or Die" my ass... 

johndej
johndej Dork
11/8/20 7:24 p.m.

johndej
johndej Dork
11/8/20 7:25 p.m.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
11/8/20 10:16 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine (Forum Supporter) :

Whoever drew your map must not be aware that Phillipsburg has a Pork Roll Festival. and it has been bleeding across the border into Easton.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/9/20 7:47 a.m.
BionicTigerShark (Forum Supporter) said:

My local grocery store serves alchohol but you have to stay in the small cafe area.  A walking around beer while shopping would be great.

Its a bit pointless honestly, but I like that its possible.  Yes, there are cupholders in the shopping carts.  Being able to sample beers at the "bar" in the store is nice though.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/20 8:04 a.m.
DrBoost said:

This is the thread we needed. Thanks all for contributing. 
Curtis, if we ever meet, I'll either buy you a beer or kick you in the shin. Haven't decided yet. 

Why not both?  

Shin Kick Pale Ale

11/9/20 8:07 a.m.
Jesse Ransom (FFS) said:
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

I live in PA.  I wonder what bureau I would go to for a Permit to procure a Kangaroo.  The Marsupial Court?  Possibly the DMV... the Department of Marsupial Validation?

Edit:  Figured it out... I would have to go to the Roo-gistrar's office.

Clearly, if anything were meant to be called a kangaroo court...

I figure you were just making that joke implicitly without giving in to the direct route, but I felt like Roger Rabbit left hanging at "Shave and a haircut..."

I only take low-hanging fruit when it comes to dating.

Speaking of shave and a haircut.... whenever I drive through a tunnel, I honk my horn in that rhythm hoping someone will beep back "two bits."  I'm usually left hanging.

11/9/20 8:26 a.m.
johndej said:

This might be more offensive than a political map.  I'll say it.... Dunkin is NOT a coffee chain.  They are a sugar shack that happens to make brown water that they call coffee.

Besides, Tim Hortons will take over all of them soon enough.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
11/9/20 9:05 a.m.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/9/20 9:19 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

The only time I ever go on base anymore is to get Timmy's in Aberdeen. The desire also sometimes sends me up I-81. 

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
11/9/20 9:33 a.m.

Molon Roo

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
11/9/20 11:54 a.m.

Damnit. One strike against PA.  I want an otter.  sad

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/9/20 12:04 p.m.

PAs exotic animal laws are weird. 

I can have a gator with no permit needed, but if I want a bear, monkey, or large cat, I need a permit.

To get a permit you need to work closely with the animals for 2 years.

There aren't any bears anywhere official anymore since the Pittsburgh zoo put in the beer garden, so I can't get a pet bear, legally. 

But an alligator is perfectly fine, outside of Allegheny County where people were apparently setting them loose when they got to big

11/9/20 12:29 p.m.
RevRico said:

PA laws are weird, period.  PA is one of those states where I can get up to a $500 fine and up to 2 points on my license if I don't wear a seat belt in a car, but I can ride on a 2-wheeled Donorcycle of death without a helmet.  They have focused on legislating morality if a vehicle has doors, but your head remaining attached to your body is totally my choice when riding a motorcycle.

I can't buy beer at a pharmacy where I can get prescription Opium, but I can get a cold draft of a local IPA at a grocery store.  I can't have an opened bottle of wine in my car while driving, but a gallon of beer in a screw-top growler?  Totally kosher.  I can buy three six-packs at a bar, but it has to be two separate transactions, and I can only carry out two at a time.  Up until recently, if you went to a beer distributor, you couldn't carry it out.  Most distributors are drive-thu because THEY had to load it.  I'm allowed to unload it OUT of the car at home, but it was totally immoral for me to put it IN my own car.

Another one that always puzzled me.  If I go to a bar and ask for a bottle of beer, they go to the cooler and pull out a bottle, open it, and I drink it.  If I ask for a 6-pack, they go to the same cooler, get six bottles, put them in a 6-pack carrier unopened, and I leave.  But if I instead sit there and open one of the bottles and drink it, it's against the law and the bar can lose it's liquor license.  Some bars will even sell singles.  The magic barrier gets crossed if the container crosses the bar without being opened.  If it crosses the bar open, I must drink it there.  If it crosses the bar closed, I can't drink it there and the bar could lose it's license if I do.  Unless I'm in Hanover, PA where they found some way of getting around the open container laws.  I can buy a draft beer in a cup and walk out the door.

And don't get me started on the years of not being able to hunt on Sunday, but fishing was fine.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
11/9/20 12:42 p.m.
RevRico said:

PA laws are weird, period. 

I can't remember if it was PA or another state in the general vicinity, but there was one business trip I went on to a state where you couldn't buy beer in a grocery store. Or a liquor store. You had to specifically buy beer at a beer store, and in cases of 24 beers, no smaller quantity. Our crew concluded the state must have something against moderate drinking.

It may have also been possible to buy a six-pack as a carry-out at a bar.

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/20 12:58 p.m.
slowbird said:

And you call them...steamed hams?

This is a Simpson's bit, it isn't true.

Non-rotic R dialects.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
11/9/20 1:04 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

That would be PA prior to the craft brewing explosion and some fairly significant changes to beer and wine sales rules (like being able to buy beer/wine at grocery stores now). 

Except liquor - that is still only sold at State stores and private distilleries. 

There are still some weird rules.  A few weeks ago I was looking for a certain popular stout. A local take-out place had it, but only in a 12 pack. Apparently a 12 pack is considered a case or something.  So when I bought that and a 4-pack of a different beer, I had to take the 12 pack to my car and then come back for the 4-pack.  I just said to the counter guy, "weird PA law?"  and he just shook his head.  It's not his fault, but I'm sure a lot of customers have given him a hard time about it.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
11/9/20 1:14 p.m.
DrBoost said:

This is the thread we needed. Thanks all for contributing. 
Curtis, if we ever meet, I'll either buy you a beer or kick you in the shin. Haven't decided yet. 

Why not both?  

Shin Kick Pale Ale

Haha!  Perfect!!

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
11/9/20 1:17 p.m.
RevRico said:

PA laws are weird, period.  PA is one of those states where I can get up to a $500 fine and up to 2 points on my license if I don't wear a seat belt in a car, but I can ride on a 2-wheeled Donorcycle of death without a helmet.  They have focused on legislating morality if a vehicle has doors, but your head remaining attached to your body is totally my choice when riding a motorcycle.

I can't buy beer at a pharmacy where I can get prescription Opium, but I can get a cold draft of a local IPA at a grocery store.  I can't have an opened bottle of wine in my car while driving, but a gallon of beer in a screw-top growler?  Totally kosher.  I can buy three six-packs at a bar, but it has to be two separate transactions, and I can only carry out two at a time.  Up until recently, if you went to a beer distributor, you couldn't carry it out.  Most distributors are drive-thu because THEY had to load it.  I'm allowed to unload it OUT of the car at home, but it was totally immoral for me to put it IN my own car.

Another one that always puzzled me.  If I go to a bar and ask for a bottle of beer, they go to the cooler and pull out a bottle, open it, and I drink it.  If I ask for a 6-pack, they go to the same cooler, get six bottles, put them in a 6-pack carrier unopened, and I leave.  But if I instead sit there and open one of the bottles and drink it, it's against the law and the bar can lose it's liquor license.  Some bars will even sell singles.  The magic barrier gets crossed if the container crosses the bar without being opened.  If it crosses the bar open, I must drink it there.  If it crosses the bar closed, I can't drink it there and the bar could lose it's license if I do.  Unless I'm in Hanover, PA where they found some way of getting around the open container laws.  I can buy a draft beer in a cup and walk out the door.

And don't get me started on the years of not being able to hunt on Sunday, but fishing was fine.

Ok, those laws just don't make any sense. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/20 1:21 p.m.

As you drive across the US, keep these statistics in mind:

11/9/20 1:22 p.m.

And of course...

11/9/20 1:23 p.m.

OF course, if you only consider deer, stay out of PA & WV:

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
11/9/20 1:37 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

Pretty much.  For years we just sort of lived with them (or if you lived on the eastern side - bought your alcohol in NJ). But the craft beer explosion really threw a spanner into the laws, which were REALLY not conducive to micro breweries.   For awhile, I think the LCB just sort of looked the other way as they understood the commercial business impact, but eventually they had to make some changes to the laws.  Other changes are apparently in the works, but like anything with govt, nothing happens quickly.  In reality, the "law" and actual enforcement can vary quite a bit.  

At least in PA, micro-breweries can have food trucks located on site. In NJ, if a food truck even parks within sight of a brewery, the brewery can get into trouble. 

I'm surprised the chances for a deer collision is that much higher in PA than in NJ.  I saw more deer collisions (including my own) in NJ than in PA.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/9/20 5:49 p.m.

With regards to weird alcohol laws in BC every few years the laws get updated, so now we have private liquor stores (beer , wine , liqour), grocery stores can sell BC wines,  craft brewers can have a tasting room and many seem to have a restaurant.  Apart from alcohol there is now many cannabis shops and more in the works.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zMJp2sbijqQngw63G8MWrBlYnHwUY4yA9QHoD9LIwrtkXdcZ2rHhuOt5LjPAKDa6