1 2
nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
12/12/18 10:19 p.m.
Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
12/12/18 11:47 p.m.

Well, doing an oilchange on that car is 21 grand, so why not spend twice that to replace a fuel tank? 

It's the tire replacement cost that really gets me. 30k for a set of 2500 mile tires. Unless you do a top speed run. Do that for 15 minutes and they're done. They can only be removed and mounted in France. 70k job. Every 2nd time you change tires, you throw the wheels away and buy another 80-120k set of those. Insane. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/12/18 11:58 p.m.

That car does nothing for me. This information doesn't help.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
12/13/18 1:46 a.m.

Well then buy the Chiron instead. Those tires are more widely available, don't cost 30k, and you don't have to send them to France to get dismounted and mounted. See? Practical!

jamscal
jamscal Dork
12/13/18 5:36 a.m.

Veyron owner to personal assistant:

"Why do you bother me with such trivial matters? Pay it from petty cash and never speak of this again."

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
12/13/18 5:50 a.m.

So many of these cars will never be driven anyway.  They go into a collectors museum and then show up at Barrett Jackson with 100 miles on the odometer and sell for stupid money, so the next guy can put it in his museum. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
12/13/18 5:54 a.m.

Somebody give me a Veyron, I'll drive it 30k miles a year and figure out how to DIY everything cheeky

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
12/13/18 6:15 a.m.

An engineer once told me he thought the Veyron was an exercise in actively finding the most complicated and expensive way to do everything. Somehow people bought it.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/18 6:41 a.m.

Makes purchasing a lightly used 458 seem down right responsible. 

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
12/13/18 7:16 a.m.

Its because you maintain this thing more like an aircraft than a car.

If you're actually going to drive it and rarely break 100 mph, I bet you can cheat those intervals A LOT.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/13/18 7:18 a.m.

Are you kidding? It makes airplanes look cheap. More like a spacecraft. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/13/18 7:25 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Are you kidding? It makes airplanes look cheap. More like a spacecraft. 

I read an article the other about the Nighthawk, ie Air Force One on steroids (yes I know it becomes AFO when the president steps on board). There is one always ready and waiting at the AFB in Nebraska. 

$160,000 PER HOUR is the running cost. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/18 7:31 a.m.

I dunno, safety at 260 mph is vastly different than at 55 mph. What's an Indy car of F1 car's tires cost and how long do they last?  How about brakes? Speed costs money.  The amazing thing is the development of tires, the Veyron's tires were unthinkable a few years ago, and the Chiron already has better ones.  In a few years, 300 mph 30,000 mile All-seasons will be a thing.  

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/13/18 7:36 a.m.

These prices don't surprise or offend me.  Let's face it, by the time you are into Veyron ownership territory you already have at least a Gulfstream and probably a Bell for those short hops into and out of the city.  I bet their net worth is well north of $100m (Quick Googlymoogly and it appears to be north of $200m) so these prices are to be expected.

I actually like the Veyron and Chiron.  The Ford GT and Bugatti are the only Hypercars that impress me.  The GT as it really is a race car tamed for the road, and the Bugatti as it's the ultimate expression of style, technology etc.  The are the respective pinnacles of opposite ends of the hypercar spectrum.  Other than those cars the rest of the $400k+ vehicles just seem to be crass flashy compensation devises.

Note, I'm not throwing in plebeian super cars like R8's and 911 Turbo's in this, nor super GT's like Astons and AMG's etc.  I like a lot of those cars.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/13/18 7:47 a.m.

Oh, the price doesn't bother nor offend me one bit either, it's just beyond my scale of comprehension.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
12/13/18 7:55 a.m.

They are amazing cars that can do 250 mph plus....

I wish my neighbor had one :)

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
12/13/18 8:23 a.m.

I saw somewhere that a McLaren F1 (car, not openwheel racer) tire replacement involves renting a track so that the suspension can be tuned to the specific set of tires.

yup...  i have a feeling that some people are shortcutting that..

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
12/13/18 9:40 a.m.

Bugatti doesn't make supercars, it makes lear jets that just happen to be street legal.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
12/13/18 11:37 a.m.
Klayfish said:

So many of these cars will never be driven anyway.  They go into a collectors museum and then show up at Barrett Jackson with 100 miles on the odometer and sell for stupid money, so the next guy can put it in his museum. 

I understand wanting to protect something that costs as much as a Bugatti does. What really blows me away, is the people that have enough money that they don't care about protecting their multi-million dollar cars, and thrash them all over the same way that we might thrash a $1000 CL find:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD-CnXj0vLc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTTUtyLF8gk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti8451IjgEY

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
12/13/18 12:46 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

If I were going to buy a million dollar car, I'd thrash it like a rented race horse.

Other investments yield better returns than cars.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/13/18 12:46 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Well Google tells me the average US family has a net worth of $300K.  Compare that to the average Bug owner with a net worth of $200m.  Pro rated that means them thrashing a Bug-ratty on ice, snow or mud is like the Average American hooning around in the back 40 in a $3,000 car.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
12/13/18 1:03 p.m.

This makes an Aero L-39 Albatros look downright sensible. And it’s twice as fast. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/13/18 1:08 p.m.
Daylan C said:

An engineer once told me he thought the Veyron was an exercise in actively finding the most complicated and expensive way to do everything. Somehow people bought it.

Those same people buy million dollar watches that have 700 parts, because they have 700 parts. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
12/13/18 4:54 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Honestly I think those watches are cooler than a Veyron.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/18 6:34 p.m.
The0retical said:

In reply to STM317 :

If I were going to buy a million dollar car, I'd thrash it like a rented race horse.

Other investments yield better returns than cars.

You’ve not been paying attention to the classic car market, I assume. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
anlDlVJr6yVRrmAZVuzPnIrtE06WzF4in8hkT2i1Skoc1Bb5gbifZpODrtih3lgk