1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/15 7:09 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

i'm an engineer, not a medical person, and i'm not really fluent in elevator pitch. having said that, i believe the pitch goes something like this:

• The ECD by Advanced Cooling Therapy replaces a standard orogastric tube, and connects to existing TH hardware found in most ERs.
  • The ECD does not require placement by an ER Doc; it can be placed by an EMT or ER nurse.
  • like surface cooling methods (blankets, baths, etc), initiation of TH with the ECD is quick and easy.
  • unlike surface cooling methods, the ECD does not restrict access to the patient's body.
  • because the ECD cools the patient internally, its effectiveness is not reduced by the body's natural decrease of bloodflow to the surface during onset of hypothermia.
  • the internal placement of the ECD enables warming patients to normothermia, as well as preventing hypothermia in OR situations, again without restricting access to the patient's body.
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/9/15 7:10 p.m.

All right!
I love the time scale of this thread. It's just so......realistic.

AngryCorvair
2/9/15 7:40 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

yep. i started the thread in August of 2011, which was about two and a half years after the submission of our first patent application. my buddy the ER Doc came up with the idea at some point, and he called me in Nov '08 for some engineering consultation. We drew up our first sketches in Dec '08, and submitted the first application in Feb '09.

dang, that was six years ago.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/9/15 7:49 p.m.

I'm pretty stoked.

One of the things I have learned about great design is that it often takes a very simple form. I think that's kind of the essence of great design- it weeds away the chaff, and focuses solely on the purpose.

I knew you had nailed it when I held your prototype. Elevator pitch was not needed- the design spoke for itself.

Congrats, Angry! I'm thrilled for you.

I wish the process wasn't so long. I know 2 people who it could have saved.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
2/10/15 12:44 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

Amazing.

Congrats and continued good luck.

AngryCorvair
6/24/15 8:59 p.m.

Coming soon to an ER near you...

24-Jun-2015 we received US FDA approval for our Esophageal Cooling Device

:-)

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/24/15 9:59 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: Coming soon to an ER near you... 24-Jun-2015 we received US FDA approval for our Esophageal Cooling Device :-)

So does this mean you are manufacturing the device?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
6/25/15 8:50 a.m.

Excelent news. Congratulations.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/25/15 9:26 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Excelent news. Congratulations.

+1

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/25/15 9:42 a.m.

Very excited!

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
6/25/15 10:37 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: Coming soon to an ER near you... 24-Jun-2015 we received US FDA approval for our Esophageal Cooling Device :-)

Good luck!

Our hospital is heavily invested in cooling/warming suits. Hope you find plenty of facilities looking to buy or upgrade.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/15 11:54 a.m.

Now, you told me at the Mitty years ago that you'd buy a V8 Miata when this all panned out...

Congrats!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/15 11:55 a.m.
SVreX wrote: I'm pretty stoked. One of the things I have learned about great design is that it often takes a very simple form. I think that's kind of the essence of great design- it weeds away the chaff, and focuses solely on the purpose. I knew you had nailed it when I held your prototype. Elevator pitch was not needed- the design spoke for itself. Congrats, Angry! I'm thrilled for you. I wish the process wasn't so long. I know 2 people who it could have saved.

Any engineer can make a overcomplex device to perform a task. Only the great engineers can make it simple.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/25/15 12:49 p.m.

Can you tell us any more about the science behind this device? I assume it is for induced hypothermia treatment?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
6/25/15 2:31 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
SVreX wrote: I'm pretty stoked. One of the things I have learned about great design is that it often takes a very simple form. I think that's kind of the essence of great design- it weeds away the chaff, and focuses solely on the purpose. I knew you had nailed it when I held your prototype. Elevator pitch was not needed- the design spoke for itself. Congrats, Angry! I'm thrilled for you. I wish the process wasn't so long. I know 2 people who it could have saved.
Any engineer can make a overcomplex device to perform a task. Only the great engineers can make it simple.

See also, Dave's amusement at the phrase "German Engineered"...

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
6/25/15 6:32 p.m.

Awesome news Pat, happy for you mang

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
6/25/15 8:30 p.m.

Good job keep it up

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/25/15 8:45 p.m.

I was thinking it was a stomach lavage until I watched the video. Very cool concept! So the idea is that the whole esophagus is a heat sink? I like that it's quick and easy relative to wrestling with Arctic Care pads.

AngryCorvair
6/28/15 8:57 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

We have a manufacturer making them for us. We have not sold or licensed the IP yet.

AngryCorvair
6/28/15 8:58 p.m.

In reply to daytonaer:

You are heavily invested in those suits for now, LOL. ECD will be standard of care in a few years. ;-)

AngryCorvair
6/28/15 9:06 p.m.

In reply to bgkast and XLR99:

It's not using the esophagus as a heat sink so much, it's using all the other stuff that touches the esophagus as the heat sink. I'm no anatomist (ask any ex-gf, lol) but basically we are putting this cold thing in the patient's core and the free convection to the blood in the aorta and other stuff cools the entire body.

AngryCorvair
6/28/15 9:09 p.m.

In reply to DILYSI Dave:

No Germans were used in the invention of the ECD ;-)

AngryCorvair
6/28/15 9:12 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

First we have to turn this FDA approval into fat stacks. Once that conversion is complete, I will be shopping for a toy or two. ;-)

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/28/15 10:26 p.m.

This is very cool.

AngryCorvair
1/19/16 1:02 p.m.
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QsFmySPIccoLXd83l7ZPC5n7YpHJAmciib9ALwpyTpr3wIgL7QXi2aH9MswaxIBu