1 2
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/14 8:31 a.m.

Saw one of these on a used car lot over the weekend for $3500. It was pristine, with only 75,000 miles on it. OK, its kinda weird looking, but assuming all of the gadgets work it seemed like a deal for a big luxury V8 sedan. I'm guessing that there must be some kind of issue with them?

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/30/14 8:34 a.m.

You should have snapped it up. General consensus is they're badass, and $3500 is dirt cheap.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
1/30/14 8:34 a.m.

Yeah, no marketing, no fan base, ugly, no one knows what it is and which direction it's facing.

I'd rock it if it was cheap enough and because it's rwd and V8.

G8MikeGXP
G8MikeGXP New Reader
1/30/14 8:40 a.m.

I've always liked the looks of those things. I have no idea how they are to drive, but for that money, you really can't go wrong.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
1/30/14 9:04 a.m.

I love how those look and have always been intrigued by them.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition HalfDork
1/30/14 9:12 a.m.

Any I've seen locally are twice the mileage and double the price.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
1/30/14 9:41 a.m.

Used Japanese luxo-barges appeal to a relatively small market. Sounds like you berkeleyed up, unless its still available.

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
1/30/14 9:57 a.m.

They are apparently very reliable, but since so few were sold, it's hard to know for sure. But honestly, for 3.5K, I'd risk it. If you didn't buy it, you screwed up.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
1/30/14 10:36 a.m.

Been following this car since they released it. Back when Infinity sent me a DVD about it being involved in a day dream car chase.

Lovin it. Not a fan of the MPG (16city 22highway) and i worry about expensive lux stuff breaking and being, well expensive but overall its neat.

Lowered and a throaty but not loud set of mufflers. andddd GO

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
1/30/14 10:42 a.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: Been following this car since they released it. Back when Infinity sent me a DVD about it being involved in a day dream car chase. Lovin it. Not a fan of the MPG (16city 22highway) and i worry about expensive lux stuff breaking and being, well expensive but overall its neat. Lowered and a throaty but not loud set of mufflers. andddd GO

Annnnd it has lost me.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/30/14 10:54 a.m.
mtn wrote:
CarKid1989 wrote: Been following this car since they released it. Back when Infinity sent me a DVD about it being involved in a day dream car chase. Lovin it. Not a fan of the MPG (16city 22highway) and i worry about expensive lux stuff breaking and being, well expensive but overall its neat. Lowered and a throaty but not loud set of mufflers. andddd GO
Annnnd it has lost me.

I bet if you spent a bunch more money, you could probably get a V8 luxury car with better mpg rating.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
1/30/14 10:58 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
mtn wrote:
Annnnd it has lost me.
I bet if you spent a bunch more money, you could probably get a V8 luxury car with better mpg rating.

I get your point, and I don't disagree. At $3,500, it is still in the game. But I have not seen that price in reality. In reality I'm seeing $7,500 with more miles. So I'll give up the V8, or give up the luxury, or give up both for less.

But then I'm not necessarily in the market for a V8 luxury car. If I were exclusively, this would still be a leading contender .

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/14 11:27 a.m.

I have never before seen a car in such desperate need of a suspension drop.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
1/30/14 11:39 a.m.

The style of these always reminded me of a crown Vic, and in a good way. I would love to rock one for long freeway trips with the family. At $3500, the price is certainly right.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
1/30/14 1:47 p.m.

Can someone tell me where this thing is? For $3500 I'll go buy it and tell all of you how awesome it is.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
1/30/14 1:52 p.m.

Weren't those like 325 hp? I always thought they looked cool as hell and if I was looking for a p71 kinda car I'd buy that instead for similar money.

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
1/30/14 1:52 p.m.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
1/30/14 2:55 p.m.

Maybe the dealer sign said $3500 down? Most of these I see are in the 7's and 8's on up. Seems like a seriously under-appreciated car. Never see them on the road either.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/30/14 8:50 p.m.

I think they're cool.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
1/31/14 8:34 a.m.

I lust after one of these in ways not describable to my wife without a divorce attorney present. Also known as the Y34 Cedric- has been known to also come with an RB25DET and AWD(!) or a VQ30DET. Sort of a sleeper in the VIP car game overseas, but SOOOOO nice. Only available for 2 years in this body style, 2003 and 2004 in the US.

SO gangtster.

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
1/31/14 9:32 a.m.

I would so buy that for 3500, makes the pants tiiiiiiight

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/31/14 10:01 a.m.

Drat, I knew it peaked my interest for some reason. Bad news is that I was in New Orleans, taking back roads to the airport when I saw it. Somewhere in Kenner or Metairie I am guessing.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
2/1/14 1:01 p.m.

One of my sales guys bought one when they were new, I think he had a Lexus before that. He had all kinds of warranty issues with it and ended up driving a rusted out e21 most of the time since the M35 was in the shop all the time. They finally bought It back from him (lemon law maybe?) and he bought a Chevy truck. I remember how much presence it had but his issues were similar to mine with the E55 I had at the same time.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
2/1/14 9:21 p.m.
mndsm wrote: I lust after one of these in ways not describable to my wife without a divorce attorney present. Also known as the Y34 Cedric- has been known to also come with an RB25DET and AWD(!) or a VQ30DET. Sort of a sleeper in the VIP car game overseas, but SOOOOO nice. Only available for 2 years in this body style, 2003 and 2004 in the US. SO gangtster.

I would love a '99 Gloria with the RB25DET

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/2/14 9:45 a.m.

Is that also known as a Cedric? Which may be the worst name for a car ever, if so.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3de95pUHyXz9qHDZdLhaAhwHMLVBaUeFLQBncrNJkxMG2NJEX3CH81V6cVjIUlLc