crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/31/15 6:18 p.m.

Hey folks,

I have an insurance question for you. I have been residing in Anchorage, AK for about 10 months (love it here by the way)but my 240Z is at my house in GA. I don't have insurance currently because it's just sitting in my garage and I would have had only liability on it anyway. If there was a house fire, the car wouldn't be covered anyway since they would say it should be covered by car insurance, which it wouldn't because liability doesn't cover it.

I plan on coming back in to town for the Mitty and I'd like to be able to drive it around for 3-4 days before putting it back up in the garage for probably another year or so.

Are there any insurance policies out there for stuff like this? 6 mo policies and/or agreed value collector car insurance just doesn't seem to make sense since I literally cannot drive it more than these few days. I want to be legal but I don't want to throw down a ton of money for 40 miles in a 1973 Datsun either.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/31/15 6:23 p.m.

Call Hagerty. This is what they do.

crankwalk
12/31/15 6:46 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Call Hagerty. This is what they do.

Is it though? I feel like i've called them (or was it grundy) andI'd rather not set an agreed value of $6k or whatever minimum they might have and have a yearly premium for literally a trip to Road Atlanta and back. I'm not just an occasional use or mileage restricted kind of guy, it would just be use for 4 days out of the year and then stop it and I don't know if that exists.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/31/15 7:08 p.m.

If you're not sure you've called them, call them again. It's easy and the worst they can do is say no. If you want short-term insurance, you'll have to talk to an insurance company. And a year of Hagerty insurance is cheap anyhow. Cheaper than renting a car to drive for 3-4 days.

Otherwise, hook up with a local shop/dealer and see if you can use a set of their transit plates. They have special plates intended to transport cars, and insurance for the same thing. Dunno what the rules are in GA, but it may be an option.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/31/15 7:14 p.m.

Or call your current insurance agent and ask them what they can do, it won't hurt. If not, collector insurance can be really inexpensive - even if you have to insure for 6 months it may not be all that much. As mentioned it will be cheaper than renting a car for the time you're home.

For storage, you should keep the car insured with comprehensive, it will protect you if the garage burns down or it gets stolen. Since the car isn't being driving it can be pretty inexpensive as well.

crankwalk
12/31/15 7:50 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Or call your current insurance agent and ask them what they can do, it won't hurt. If not, collector insurance can be really inexpensive - even if you have to insure for 6 months it may not be all that much. As mentioned it will be cheaper than renting a car for the time you're home. For storage, you should keep the car insured with comprehensive, it will protect you if the garage burns down or it gets stolen. Since the car isn't being driving it can be pretty inexpensive as well.

Yeah I'll call around for something like a comprehensive policy on a vehicle that is in storage. I don't think I can call my current insurance agent because my other vehicles are in AK and this would have to a different policy since it's a different state anyway.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/31/15 8:19 p.m.

If you want to drive the car, you're going to have to pay. You can add it for a few months and drop it, but keep in mind that if you make a bunch of changes like that, your insurance company can dump you.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
12/31/15 8:38 p.m.

When I priced collector car insurance last year it was pretty reasonable and it would cover your car while it was in storage as well so it kinda might be a good deal all around.

84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
12/31/15 8:49 p.m.

I have nothing but the best things to say about Haggerty. El Rabbitto makes it a few thousand miles a year between auto cross, hope's, and weekly runs around town. I named 11k value on it and it's 250 a year to have full collectors insurance on it. Super cheap peace of mind on what mounts to an annuity.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/1/16 2:12 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Or call your current insurance agent and ask them what they can do, it won't hurt. If not, collector insurance can be really inexpensive - even if you have to insure for 6 months it may not be all that much. As mentioned it will be cheaper than renting a car for the time you're home. For storage, you should keep the car insured with comprehensive, it will protect you if the garage burns down or it gets stolen. Since the car isn't being driving it can be pretty inexpensive as well.

this ... definitely add comp ... should always have that (my opinion)

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/1/16 2:13 a.m.
crankwalk wrote:
Yeah I'll call around for something like a comprehensive policy on a vehicle that is in storage. I don't think I can call my current insurance agent because my other vehicles are in AK and this would have to a different policy since it's a different state anyway.

odds are they have a branch in Ga .. if you are wanting to, that could keep all your vehicles with the same company

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/1/16 10:09 p.m.

GREAT MOTHER OF CHEESE GET COMPREHENSIVE INSURANCE ON THAT CAR RIGHT NOW.

Seriously, Comprehensive-only insurance will be under $15 a YEAR and it will cover anything that happens to it while it's parked' like the house burning down or a tree falling on the garage.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/2/16 6:03 p.m.

Sent you a pm. My wife can probably help with this.

crankwalk
1/2/16 6:20 p.m.
glueguy wrote: Sent you a pm. My wife can probably help with this.

Replied.

If there was a policy that could be written up for that specific car's use that would be great. 4 days of driving a year in April and then storage the rest of the time.It's a shame I don't get to drive it more but 4 wheel drive time lasts from October through April up here so I'd rather just have fun with it when I visit.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
1/3/16 9:09 a.m.

Check with American Collectors as well, I think the minimum agreed value is $5k and it runs me about $125 a year in NJ which has terrible insurance rates. Well worth the peace of mind.

crankwalk
1/22/16 11:22 p.m.
glueguy wrote: Sent you a pm. My wife can probably help with this.

Mrs. Glueguy got me set up with a perfect policy written just for my situation so Im not overpaying for coverage that I dont need.. Cheaper than all other quotes, 1200 miles a year limit, towing, etc etc.

Thanks GRM, you folks delivered again!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3ezNcsvPih7gWRe4uvr6VIYa55gtfkzfOjVB80ItNguojMrtOBA80cBGilkynVqU