ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
1/17/14 6:17 p.m.

One of my new year's resolutions this year was to be more proactive about saving money. I'm wondering how much room there is to do that with my insurance.

I have liability only, on some old/cheap cars (98 Saturn, 02 Prius, 94 Miata) so it isn't exactly expensive to start with at ~$1150/year.

-I know I can reduce my rates by lowering my limits, which quite high at the moment (500kCSL - Progressive maximum).

-Is there any negotiating room with most insurance companies? Can I call up progressive, ask for a better rate, and expect any response other than "No" on their part?

-My Miata is rarely driven. It's supposed to be an Exocet project any day now, if I could just get off my ass and order the kit. Are there any stand-alone policies for a rarely driven pleasure car that will be cheaper? Is this something I could negotiate with Progressive?

-Any other tips?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/17/14 6:21 p.m.

Shop it. We change insurance carriers every couple of years. My wife checks the rates at least once a year. If the current carrier won't match a better price, we switch.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
1/17/14 6:37 p.m.

Depending on how you store your cars and local laws you may be able to suspend a policy for something like the Miata that is only driven seasonally. Also, since it is a third vehicle you can usually specify that it will be driven under 5k a year and get a lower rate.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/17/14 7:23 p.m.

Lowering limits might not be such a good idea if something happens.

I'd look at raising the deductible from the default if you haven't done so already, and also shop around or use an independent agent to shop around.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
1/17/14 7:33 p.m.

Shop around, see who has the best rates. There's no real negotiation to be done, they very likely won't "price match".

I wouldn't lower your limits, especially if you have a decent amount of assetts.

You don't always have to change insurance companies. Many give discounts for being with them long term, having multiple policies, etc... I've been with my carrier for 20 years and I'd never get the same rate anywhere else.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
1/17/14 7:46 p.m.

shop around … I've got a '01 Integra (full coverage still), a '97 F150, and a '91 CRX and I don't pay that much … (high limits on everything … + $5k med pay on all 3)

so shop around

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
efDYGViFVnhuNwN24v4QAum8R7wsKNJ3lZ9tnMnn7m4WVHeycMIrLTpAGZLMCaaY