z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
April 18, 2012 8:04 a.m.

We have dug out the old flowerbed in the front yard and are going back with a much larger one. Our first step is to build the "border or wall" as the edge of the flowerbed.

The previous bed had big limestone rocks, which I didn't particularly care for the looks and hated that it didn't make a nice clean edge.

The bed will have some nice curves in it, so big long rectangular would likely make a poor choice. And I don't really like the generic-type pavers like this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_12200-215-110601999_4294728526_4294937087_?productId=30100...

Any other interesting suggestions?

Streetwiseguy SuperDork
April 18, 2012 8:07 a.m.

Wrong type of border, but I have always wanted to replicate the beds I saw using various different breeds and colors of lettuce as edging/decoration.

Toyman01 UberDork
April 18, 2012 8:08 a.m.

There is a company around here that does a pored in place edging that looks really cool. It's pored using a machine like they do curbs with.

This isn't the local company, but similar.

http://www.curbmasternd.com/faq.html

Price wise it was the same or cheaper than the Lowes/Depot stuff and is available in colors.

Curmudgeon MegaDork
April 18, 2012 8:10 a.m.

Here's how we do it down South:

Use old corded V710's or A6's for that 'race car' flavor.

Appleseed PowerDork
April 18, 2012 12:02 p.m.

Garden railway. I want this so bad.

davidjs Reader
April 18, 2012 12:17 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: We have dug out the old flowerbed in the front yard and are going back with a much larger one. Our first step is to build the "border or wall" as the edge of the flowerbed. The previous bed had big limestone rocks, which I didn't particularly care for the looks and hated that it didn't make a nice clean edge. The bed will have some nice curves in it, so big long rectangular would likely make a poor choice. And I don't really like the generic-type pavers like this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_12200-215-110601999_4294728526_4294937087_?productId=30100... Any other interesting suggestions?

We got this : http://www.lowes.com/pd_286743-215-NA_4294728521_4294937087_?productId=3030457&amp... and thought it was at least a little bit less -concrete looking... My only challenge with it is that the gaps on top drive me slightly nuts on our straight piece, and they don't have a matching paver to cap it off...

foxtrapper UberDork
April 18, 2012 1:12 p.m.

If you want to make a strong statement and keep critters out, Lowes has a lot of interesting ornamental fencing options of various heights.

If it's just to keep the grass out and define an edge the plastic border you cut into the sod works reasonably well.

Small shrubbery, like japanese boxwood, also makes a nice edging. Bed it into belt line of gravel, over cloth for a more dramatic impact.

Marjorie Suddard General Manager
April 18, 2012 1:28 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: There is a company around here that does a pored in place edging that looks really cool. It's pored using a machine like they do curbs with. This isn't the local company, but similar. http://www.curbmasternd.com/faq.html Price wise it was the same or cheaper than the Lowes/Depot stuff and is available in colors.

We did this. Slant style, in a brown/terracotta color. Looks better than anything else we'd tried, and works MUCH better--pretty much keeps the St. Augustine creepers from invading the beds. (Well, some of 'em make a break for it over the edging, but they're easy to catch.)

Margie

Pete240Z UltraDork
April 18, 2012 1:38 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Here's how we do it down South:

My inlaws are from 'Bama and they put one of these in their backyard around 1965. It is still there as I cut around it with the mower every summer.

And my brain always fades over to the "what's with the rubber tire planter?" thought every time I look at it.

Keith MegaDork
April 18, 2012 1:53 p.m.

I've seen people use air dam material as garden edging. It's the weirdest thing.

Cone_Junky Dork
April 18, 2012 2:10 p.m.
Keith wrote: I've seen people use air dam material as garden edging. It's the weirdest thing.

bravenrace UberDork
April 18, 2012 2:25 p.m.

Pistons. I prefer big diesel pistons, because they are longer and I can stick them in the ground further, you know, for stability.

Cole_Trickle Reader
April 18, 2012 2:30 p.m.

Helped with a renovation of a 130 year old house. One of the chimineys had to come down and we used the brick from that to create an awesome border and even a patio in the back yard. The old style hand made bricks look nice.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Join us at Petit Le Mans and Sebring

15 hours ago in News

We'll be at Road Atlanta and Sebring International Raceway this weekend. Come on by.

Everyday Supercar

2 days ago in Articles

We drive a Viper to see if we have what it takes to live like the 1 percent.

2014 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring

5 days ago in New Car Reviews

We recently reviewed the sports version of Mazda's third-generation roadster, the MX-5 Club edition but we thought the more tame ...

No Challenge Car? No Problem

6 days ago in News

Even if you don't have a car to enter in our $2014 Challenge, we want you to come out. It's ...

A Little Love for an Old Friend

1 week ago in Project Cars

We restore our M3's paint with 303.

Win VIP Tickets to Petit Le Mans

1 week ago in News

Join Mazda Motorsport's online auction to raise money for charity.

Get a Free Issue With Your Subscription

1 week ago in News

In the month of September, receive 1 free issue for each year subscribed.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More