DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
8/25/14 9:25 a.m.

I want to use my iPhone5 to read OBDII info. A few years ago I did a bunch of reading about what was available (for the 4 back then) but didn’t pull the trigger. I’m betting that quite a few of you are using this stuff, so can you tell me what you are using and if you like it?

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
8/25/14 9:39 a.m.

My info is dated, but last I knew, the cheap($15) dongles are Android only. Apple ones ran $100+

e46potenza
e46potenza New Reader
8/25/14 10:07 a.m.

Android stuff works alright for the price, but I have no experience with iphone stuff. If it works as good as the android stuff though, I say go for it.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/25/14 10:08 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: My info is dated, but last I knew, the cheap($15) dongles are Android only. Apple ones ran $100+

I'm 1000% Android, but I don't know why the cheap dongles wouldn't work with an iPhone. They are just Bluetooth devices. All you'd need is an app, and I can't imagine that there isn't one for iOS.

Montana
Montana New Reader
8/25/14 10:18 a.m.

DashCommand - OBD-II get a cheap OBD2 dongle and this app should work. as per my google search result

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
8/25/14 11:15 a.m.

Go to Amazon, and search iPhone OBD2. There are quite a few dongles under $50. I'm an Android guy, so I can't give any recommendations from my own experience.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
8/25/14 4:35 p.m.

Thanks folks. I am surprised more people here don't have these.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
8/25/14 4:59 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: Thanks folks. I am surprised more people here don't have these.

That's because all the smart kids are using Androids

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
8/25/14 5:30 p.m.

Don't get me started! If I start ripping on the Android crowd they won't comprehend it, and I'll have to explain it to them v-e-r-y simplistically.

e46potenza
e46potenza Reader
8/25/14 5:37 p.m.

Eh. There's just always been better options for me. Had an Interceptor gauge in my last car, and currently work at a shop with more scan tool equipment than I know what to do with. Going to go with a p3 gauge on the e46 eventually.

EvanR
EvanR Dork
8/25/14 5:38 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: I'm 1000% Android, but I don't know why the cheap dongles wouldn't work with an iPhone. They are just Bluetooth devices. All you'd need is an app, and I can't imagine that there isn't one for iOS.

The cheap Bluetooth dongles don't work with iOS because Apple strictly limits what sorts of BT devices will work with their OS.

The workaround requires using an OBD-II -> 802.11n dongle instead. And those simply cost more. Likewise, the app for iOS isn't cheap, either.

I used a different solution to this problem. My iPhone is already busy in the car, playing music or doing mapping.

A buddy gave me an old, deactivated Android. If you don't have a nice buddy, you can buy an old, deactivated Android phone. I bet you won't pay over $25. Then buy a $15 BT dongle, and download the free Torque app. Voila!

Now I have a display dedicated to OBD-II data. It can live in the car and I really don't think it will get ripped off, or care if it does. It's permanently plugged in, so no worries about battery life. It sticks to the dash with Velcro.

(Side note: The free version of Torque has fewer features than the paid version. It also has ads. But guess what? Since your deactivated phone has no cell service, it will never download or display any ads! Sneaky, huh?)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/14 5:59 p.m.

I use an Innovate OT-2. I've never played with any of the others, so I can't compare. I can tell you that the logging and graphing abilities have been quite useful a few times.

http://www.ot-2.com/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yeRPUYK27nyzNVMtKKYPOKNTRQTR4lF1mIYF1XT2u4FHknGHG8w0VtCVvkTQkLh5