CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/15/18 10:44 p.m.

Just read that Irv Gordon, owner of the 3 (4?) million mile 1966 Volvo 1800s, passed away today.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/18 6:16 a.m.

My friend Mike is a Volvo guy and parked next to Irv at a show one time. People kept asking him to start the car so that they could hear it run. Mike had to ask him to knock it off, as the car stunk so bad.

RIP Irv.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/16/18 7:11 a.m.

They should bury him in the car. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/16/18 12:02 p.m.

If anyone every truly owned a car, it was Irv.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
11/16/18 7:14 p.m.

His mechanic once said something like he put three kids through college on that car.

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/17/18 3:35 a.m.

With all the publicity that Volvo received from Irv and his car over the years, I hope that Volvo makes the family a stupid-generous offer for the car and then put it in their museum in Sweden.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/17/18 5:21 a.m.

In reply to CJ :

He used to joke the price would be "$1 per mile." 

Unfortunately, as meticulous as he was about maintaining the car, he was apparently somewhat less so with estate planning.  He daughter posted on Facebook asking for information about how to find his attorney. 

I was fortunate to meet Irv a couple of times at Volvo gatherings.  He also posted on the Yahoo group 1800list from time to time. While he eventually embraced the "brand ambassador" role, you could also tell he was generally amused by the fact him fame was simply because he drove his car a lot and for a long time.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/17/18 11:14 a.m.

So how many times did they rebuild him before they finally junked him?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/18 3:07 p.m.
CJ said:

With all the publicity that Volvo received from Irv and his car over the years, I hope that Volvo makes the family a stupid-generous offer for the car and then put it in their museum in Sweden.

Bonus points if the send Irv and his Volvo off in a Viking funeral instead of making a museum piece. 

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
11/17/18 3:23 p.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to CJ :

He used to joke the price would be "$1 per mile." 

Unfortunately, as meticulous as he was about maintaining the car, he was apparently somewhat less so with estate planning.  He daughter posted on Facebook asking for information about how to find his attorney. 

I was fortunate to meet Irv a couple of times at Volvo gatherings.  He also posted on the Yahoo group 1800list from time to time. While he eventually embraced the "brand ambassador" role, you could also tell he was generally amused by the fact him fame was simply because he drove his car a lot and for a long time.

The problem is that he passed away on the way to China or was in China. His daughter is trying to figure out how to get him back home through the consulate in which is why she is asking for his attorney to take care of that matter. 

crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
11/17/18 9:21 p.m.

He was a legend with for his tenacity. You can't call it thrift at some point. 

RIP Irv

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jyLOtnXCmT4Sjkwm67gxBDSv7cwgGovBCzbCh6mB1CDiCaMNUmLflN7A2IYvqvdo