1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/20 2:45 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:

As far as the OP and VW, not surprised that someone slipped on this, and it will happen again to another company. It will be less likely to happen to a company with a more diverse workforce. 

Thanks Paul. I am sure it will happen to other companies as well.

However, with these mistakes happening in VW at 2017, 2019, 2020, you would think there would be some bigger changes made there, or more oversight, to make sure these things are corrected in the future, and it isn't a yearly occurrence. 

One can only hope for the best.

The dark way to look at it is that a non PC commercial gets extra free airplay from people who are offended. (No press is bad press).

Plus, there are plenty of people who actually like the ads BECAUSE of the stance too, unfortunately.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/27/20 7:29 a.m.

I am amazed people don't believe there is still institutional racism.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/27/20 8:29 a.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

Afraid is very well the feeling I get... If you haven't watched this video, I ask that you do. 

I was out of the news loop yesterday.  There's no way any human should treat any other human like that.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/27/20 9:29 a.m.

I'm not watching that video.  That picture is awful enough.  I read the article and was sick to my stomach. Physically ill.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/27/20 1:43 p.m.
yupididit said:

Afraid is very well the feeling I get... If you haven't watched this video, I ask that you do. 

These criminals are worse than the "criminals" they are supposed to be protecting everyone from. Hopefully in this case his family will get justice. 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/27/20 1:56 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I wasn't going to watch that video when it emerged, then actually thought of you and this thread and thought, It's important to be a witness. So I did. I am not glad I did, but I'm glad I know that there were bystanders pleading with the cops to look at Mr. Floyd and see him, see his face, see what they were doing to him. I am freaked out that they could just ignore those pleas. Not surprised, though.

You are right to be afraid. And that makes me so, so sad. The fact that people think you shouldn't be, or that anyone who dares to mention the ongoing presence of racism is "playing the race card"--well, that just makes me mad.

Margie

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/27/20 2:13 p.m.

I haven't watched that video. I tried to watch the MI nursing home video last week, but couldn't make it through the whole thing and in that one nobody died. 

Man's inhumanity to man has always been an issue. Not optimistic that it will ever cease.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/27/20 3:01 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

In reply to yupididit :

I wasn't going to watch that video when it emerged, then actually thought of you and this thread and thought, It's important to be a witness. So I did. I am not glad I did, but I'm glad I know that there were bystanders pleading with the cops to look at Mr. Floyd and see him, see his face, see what they were doing to him. I am freaked out that they could just ignore those pleas. Not surprised, though.

You are right to be afraid. And that makes me so, so sad. The fact that people think you shouldn't be, or that anyone who dares to mention the ongoing presence of racism is "playing the race card"--well, that just makes me mad.

Margie

This post honestly made my chest hurt.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/20 3:27 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Remember that a significant part of "privilege" is having the privilege of being totally unaware of the injustices happening all around you.

Let me juxtapose this statement with a common phrase: Ignorance is bliss

I agree on the importance of watching the videos. Also see another common phrase - the first step in solving a problem is admitting you have one. 

Finally, let me say that I am the privileged of privileged and have been lucky to boot. I have spent precious few moments of my life feeling that the system was rigged against me and knowing I was powerless to change it. But I am empathetic to those in that position. Which is why I choose to listen. I don't pretend to have answers or solutions. I wish I did. 

Have you ever felt your life was in danger while being pulled over for speeding? What about while being pulled over for nothing?

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
5/27/20 3:44 p.m.

For the past year I have been dating a very nice black woman.  It has been an eye opener to be sure.  In the past I would have said racism is much better and why is it still a thing, now...its crazy what is out there.  She has this thing called "bring a white man to work day" for when she needs to have me come along for something.  They do treat her much differently when I am around.  She's a small woman so she gets plenty of the "little lady" comments, and being black they mostly just ignore her or treat like she doesn't know anything.  Being a writer and well educated, it drivers her berserk.  It would me too.   And driving while black, yeah, that's a real thing too.  It is sad to know that in today's society that these things still exist.

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/27/20 8:28 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:
yupididit said:

I was out of the news loop yesterday.  There's no way any human should treat any other human like that.  

I looked a bit for the full/unedited video of this today because I wanted to make an educated judgement about what happened (I dont watch any media, just saw this on here and wanted to know). Does someone have a link to that? Dreading watching yet another death but feel like if I'm going to have an opinion I should see more than just a clip of a cop kneeling on a man's neck. That picture brings back a really awful memory of a ma state cop kneeling on my neck while I was being cuffed (for a driving thing, that I beat, bullE36 M3). I can still feel the pavement on my face 20 years later. Man, give some people power and it gets ugly. 

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/20 8:31 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

Also in the news, a pice of crap living in NY named Amy Cooper, who thinks the rules don't apply to her, used this very threat of our country's decades of racial injustice and police brutality as part of a racially charged threat against a man who asked her to follow the rules and put her dog on a leash. She thought his was a good idea. She thought her threats would be effective.

Many people having a compact video recorder on hand at all times is allowing more of these incidents to be brought to light, but they happen all the time, and have been happening all the time. 

Case in point: "Roddie" Bryan, who decided to record the deranged berkeleys that killed Ahmaud Arbery? I don't recall him telling them to stop murdering an innocent man. In fact, one of the racist shiny happy people implicated Bryan. So, yeah. He wasn't recording with the intent of helping the victim. 

Anybody still not seeing it? Anybody want to try and spin this another way and say it's all sunshine and giggles all around?

If you're not standing up and speaking out, you're complicit in the atrocities.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/27/20 9:07 p.m.

I worked for six years in a small business that I really liked. We did well, and I got the business through a couple of health scares in the owner's family, including one when he had to leave the State for six months. The business could have failed without him there, but with the help of some fantastic employees, we kept it going.

After that, the owner had the business appraised, and offered to sell me part. Initially a partnership, then he was eventually looking for his exit strategy and retirement.

Things were good, but when I told him I intended to offer an office position to the best applicant (a black woman), he replied, "I think we should hire our peers."

I gave notice a few months later, but although I know he knew why I left, I'm not proud that I didn't tell him.

Speaking up is hard. I failed.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/27/20 10:30 p.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

Thank you

yupididit
5/27/20 10:36 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) :

Oh that white woman who threatened the black man by saying "I'm going to call the cops and tell them a black man is threatening me" then proceeded to do so. Then later claims she isn't racist. 

yupididit
5/27/20 10:38 p.m.
Carbon (Forum Supporter) said:
Stampie (FS) said:
yupididit said:

I looked a bit for the full/unedited video of this today because I wanted to make an educated judgement about what happened (I dont watch any media, just saw this on here and wanted to know). Does someone have a link to that? Dreading watching yet another death but feel like if I'm going to have an opinion I should see more than just a clip of a cop kneeling on a man's neck. That picture brings back a really awful memory of a ma state cop kneeling on my neck while I was being cuffed (for a driving thing, that I beat, bullE36 M3). I can still feel the pavement on my face 20 years later. Man, give some people power and it gets ugly. 

There's a 5 to 7 min video showing from when Floyd plead for the police to remove his knee all the way to the point where he was unresponsive. You literally see him slowly fade away. If you can stomach watching it. 

mattm
mattm GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/28/20 12:04 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

More evidence of white people walking on eggshells.  It’s too much to deal with all of that!  Imagine if George Floyd had been jogging and no police were around....

Perhaps the biggest single benefit of the smartphone is that police interactions have a greater level of oversight than at any time in the past.  Emmett Till and untold others could attest to what it was like prior to the current period.

GVX19
GVX19 HalfDork
5/28/20 7:46 a.m.

In reply to Carbon (Forum Supporter) :

https://www.startribune.com/video-shows-initial-arrest-of-george-floyd-who-later-died-in-minneapolis-police-custody/570798911/

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie New Reader
5/28/20 8:18 a.m.

That is just brutal. It makes me worry about what kind of people we have become. It seems that we have no regard at all for human life anymore. Or human suffering.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
5/28/20 10:49 a.m.
Carbon (Forum Supporter) said:
Stampie (FS) said:
yupididit said:

#METOO

Been there, done that, have the record and scars to prove it.

That ^^^ piece of E36 M3 should go to jail for murder. And methinks that won't end well for him.

That said, 10 dead, 39 wounded from gunshots in Chicago over the weekend, including children. No national news coverage, no outrage, no protests or rioting or looting.

Viewing the world through the lens of "my people/your people" is dangerous and detrimental to our society regardless of which "group" you were born into.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie New Reader
5/28/20 12:03 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) :

Oh that white woman who threatened the black man by saying "I'm going to call the cops and tell them a black man is threatening me" then proceeded to do so. Then later claims she isn't racist. 

Why is she choking her dog? 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/28/20 12:14 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie :

Because she's a terrible person.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/28/20 1:29 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

In reply to Snowdoggie :

Because she's a terrible person.

That was the first thing I thought about when I saw the video.  

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
5/28/20 3:17 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/20 3:39 p.m.

I feel like the "thin blue line" American flag perversions are a symbol for white power. The actions of my own neighbors surrounding the murder of George Floyd and their defense of his killer only reinforces that stance. I wonder if this is what regular Germans felt like watching the swastika's become more and more prevalent in the 1930's? 

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
28WmjcyMFyi5rqcBntldq49ezxFpacUSHh5fIqkh21AT17EdIUSCfz5XBPHhYv7p