1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/28/20 3:46 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Everyone that I know that has those flags are far from nazis or racists. Most volunteer as emt's etc so they are a sign of support for their first responder friends and family. The actions of a few do not represent the majority.

EDIT: But I learned this week that the "OK" symbol and Karen are racist apparently..... so what do I know? 

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/28/20 3:48 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

Theres a longer story to mine, (and im sure yours), when I was 15, I was a skater (admittedly) punk, and at a school dance, i was asked to remove my baseball cap, clearly to expose my atrocious hathead and embarrass me in front of the all of maybe 2 attractive girls in attendance. My skater punk response was "how come the pig gets to wear his hat?". I was later that night, cornered in the bathroom, picked up by my throat, and given a proper talking too (while suspended by my windpipe via d cell maglight). This little chat was punctuated by a 8/10th effort jab to my stomach with the butt end of the mag light which left me gasping and whimpering on the bathroom floor. My parents saw the not inconsiderable bruises that were left by this interchange and questioned me. I told them what happened and begged to let it go, needless to say, they did not. This was the start of years of systematic harassment by what seemed to be every local police department and ended in me finally just leaving the area to start over. The knee on neck incident was kind of the last straw. I was doing 37 in a 35, a cop saw my vehicle and turned on the blues as I went around the next bend, I didn't see them and took my original path down a sideroad. I stopped at a stopsighn and left some rubber (as one does), a passerby took down my plate and called the cops. Later that day I was pulled over that day by a state cop that initiated the conversation by dragging me out of the car and throwing me on the ground and the other story starts from there. What color/ethnicity I am had nothing to do with it in my mind, but I feel bad for George Floyd and his family, that cop seems like an shiny happy person and the whole thing should have just due process performed by an unbiased judicial system. Good luck with all of that. I wish someone had stood up during the event and done the right thing, I wasn't there so it's tough to say what I'd have been brave enough to do in that situation. Maybe my assaulting an officer/resisting arrest says I'd have tackled him off and saved the day then be the one everyone is rioting over. Maybe I'd be in shock and just stand there. E36 M3 is complicated, love as many people as you can, tend to the part of the garden that you can reach. 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
5/28/20 3:52 p.m.

I think we are about to find out that Mr. Chauvan has a history of violence. That he 'almost killed' a few people and that even other cops on the force know he is a little scary, but they won't talk about it to superiors because they just don't. It's systemic. There may be a history of domestic violence here too. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
5/28/20 3:58 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

I feel like the "thin blue line" American flag perversions are a symbol for white power. The actions of my own neighbors surrounding the murder of George Floyd and their defense of his killer only reinforces that stance. I wonder if this is what regular Germans felt like watching the swastika's become more and more prevalent in the 1930's? 

There's a long history of police forces being systematically used to oppress, arrest, abuse, and kill minorities. It's just that there's a lot more video proof of it nowadays.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/28/20 4:03 p.m.
Snowdoggie said:

I think we are about to find out that Mr. Chauvan has a history of violence. That he 'almost killed' a few people and that even other cops on the force know he is a little scary, but they won't talk about it to superiors because they just don't. It's systemic. There may be a history of domestic violence here too. 

I'm not sure why you would keep your knee in a mans neck for nine minutes if he's handcuffed and not fighting.  Especially if he's saying he can't breathe.  To confound the situation though, my first aid instructors always told me if a person can talk, they can breath.  Makes me think the guy was already having his heart attack.  If that really happened.  

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
5/28/20 4:35 p.m.
slowbird said:

I feel like the "thin blue line" American flag perversions are a symbol for white power. The actions of my own neighbors surrounding the murder of George Floyd and their defense of his killer only reinforces that stance. I wonder if this is what regular Germans felt like watching the swastika's become more and more prevalent in the 1930's? 

There's a long history of police forces being systematically used to oppress, arrest, abuse, and kill minorities. It's just that there's a lot more video proof of it nowadays.

I'm not sure that the people running the Police Department or the leadership of the city are consciously going after minorities in this particular case. More than likely there is one officer that hates black people, is violent, should not be working in law enforcement, and his actions set the whole mess off.  His co-workers look the other way because that is the way it is. There is a silent brotherhood among the ranks. The Police Chief and City Hall just want it all to go away before election time. Actually talking to the guys in the ranks and bringing in psychologists to evaluate and possibly fire some people is more work than they want to do, especially with a limited budget. 

I remember hearing about a few officers getting fired a few months ago after the city found racist and Neo-Nazi posts and pictures on their Facebook pages. These guys are out there and they are scary. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
5/28/20 4:48 p.m.

If nothing else, it screams "I'm a berkeleying douchebag." 

poopshovel again
5/28/20 4:50 p.m.

In reply to Carbon (Forum Supporter) :

Dang, dude. I won't go into the details of my experiences, but I'm sad to say none of this surprises me.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
5/28/20 5:52 p.m.
Snowdoggie said:
slowbird said:

I'm not sure that the people running the Police Department or the leadership of the city are consciously going after minorities in this particular case. More than likely there is one officer that hates black people, is violent, should not be working in law enforcement, and his actions set the whole mess off.  His co-workers look the other way because that is the way it is. There is a silent brotherhood among the ranks. The Police Chief and City Hall just want it all to go away before election time. Actually talking to the guys in the ranks and bringing in psychologists to evaluate and possibly fire some people is more work than they want to do, especially with a limited budget. 

I remember hearing about a few officers getting fired a few months ago after the city found racist and Neo-Nazi posts and pictures on their Facebook pages. These guys are out there and they are scary. 

The part in bold is the key. This "silent brotherhood" is complicit by allowing these actions to go unpunished. That's what "one bad apple spoils the whole bunch" means. They either need to stand up to the chief, the police union, their fellow officers, and make it clear that this is NOT okay, or they're basically saying "yeah we like our comfortable status quo more than we care about the lives of black people."

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/28/20 6:03 p.m.

I have some comments here, on race relations and racism and the police. Most of this is without a point, just kinda airing my thoughts. 

I'm about as privileged as they come. White Catholic in an upper-middle class (maybe upper class nowadays) predominately white, Catholic area. I grew up idolizing Sammy Sosa and Michael Jordan, but other than that, there was 1 black kid in my class... and he was exactly like the rest of us - Catholic, parents had MBA's and worked at the same big pharma company as my dad. We were amazed and awed when the new kid came to the school in 7th grade, because he was cool. Had an Afro, dressed like an urban kid. We were suburban dorks. 

In high school though, I became friends with someone who is still one of my closest friends. He was raised by his grandma, as his mother was only 16 when he was born. He came from the ghetto. His grandmother sent him to the local Catholic school (where my brother went - I went to the public school) to get him out of the cycle. Give him a chance. He is gay, raised baptist, not athletic, poor... Talk about a fish out of water. He opened my eyes to racism. He's the reason I'm no longer homophobic. I remember we went to our favorite diner - my brother, our friend, and myself, a place my brother and I had been countless times. We walked in and it was like the air was sucked out. Nothing overt, they served us, I'm sure the Mexican in the kitchen didn't know or care, but the manager sure did give us worse service than normal. When we walked out, our friend said "I'm the first black person thats been in there other than Oprah on the TV". Kinda eye opening for an 18 year old white kid. 

Then I've experienced some slight racism against me. The course I caddied at had probably 20% white caddies, 30% black, 50% Mexican (probably 75% of those were migrant workers). My last 4 managers there were Mexican. I definitely got slighted some because of that, at least with the last boss. The first 3 were fair, or did it on a merit basis. Small time issues there. But one guy graduated from college. Black guy. I asked what he majored in. He said "Criminal justice, so I know what the man can do to me". Huh. Wow. What a reason. Eyes were again opened. 

Another coworker there, now a mechanic, told me he bought his first car at 14. He's from Chicago. He said he didn't know that you needed a drivers license. Had no clue it was a thing. He didn't know that you needed a title either. He was lucky he didn't have a felony, completely unware that what he was doing was wrong. He dropped out of school - nobody followed up. 

Last thought... Police officers. I've never met one who hasn't gone out of their way for me. White kid driving nice cars with no record. I always got the benefit of the doubt. My brother, has not, for whatever reason. I made the comment once, I think most cops are good guys. He had a different opinion - maybe not on the "most" part, but he said it is way too easy to become a cop, and they're getting dumb jocks for a lot of them. Hard to argue against that, when I thought about it. I don't agree with it, at least not fully, but it sure makes me question the "thin blue line" folks. The only people I see sharing that stuff on facebook are the same that are sharing satire about how Obama ruined this country thinking it is a real article (slight exaggeration, there), or overtly racist and/or homophobic posts.

So those are some of my rambling thoughts. Kinda pointless here. Thanks to Yuppididit for sharing your views. Very enlightening. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
5/28/20 6:14 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

Supporting the police makes you a douchebag? So you won't call 911 if you need help right? 

How does stealing a tv from target show your support of Floyd?

poopshovel again
5/28/20 6:21 p.m.
slowbird said:
Snowdoggie said:
slowbird said:

The part in bold is the key. This "silent brotherhood" is complicit by allowing these actions to go unpunished. That's what "one bad apple spoils the whole bunch" means. They either need to stand up to the chief, the police union, their fellow officers, and make it clear that this is NOT okay, or they're basically saying "yeah we like our comfortable status quo more than we care about the lives of black people."

You could go another step further and discuss the "prison industrial complex" which absolutely exists, and its origins. 

Where I live, the jail population is 99% white. Being white doesn't stop the cops from finding any and every reason they can to throw you in jail, starting with a traffic stop or a phone call. And you'd better not be to quick to go for your wallet, or they'll shoot your white ass, too.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/28/20 6:21 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

There are dumbasses in all walks of life.  I'd much rather watch a video of a person stealing a TV than one of a person killing another.

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/28/20 6:22 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:
poopshovel again said:

Supporting the police makes you a douchebag? So you won't call 911 if you need help right? 

How does stealing a tv from target show your support of Floyd?

I support police officers but want them to be held accountable for their actions. The thin blue line crowd seems to want us to pick black OR blue. That's where you become a douche. This is not an us vs them problem. Good cops are neccessary and deserve respect for what they do. Bad cops, the system that protects them and the civilians that defend or turn a blind eye to them are the problem.

And as far as the looting, that sickens me to see as well because it only makes the situation more tense. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
5/28/20 6:22 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

I'd rather not see either. 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
5/28/20 6:27 p.m.

And its 1965 all over again....

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
5/28/20 6:38 p.m.

There's a lot of people smarter than me about this subject, and there's not really a way to discuss this without getting into politics and this board isn't the place for that, but I'll say that a lot of the people (on social media, not here) saying "why would you loot and get violent" are the same people who didn't like Colin Kaepernick taking a knee either. Peaceful protesting has failed black people and their communities in the past, it's understandable why some would start to gravitate towards the other types of protest.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
5/28/20 6:49 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/28/20 6:52 p.m.

I don't think anyone is arguing against that. But best I can tell, this started with a peaceful protest before things escalated and the situation was exploited. 

Edit: Forgive me being out of the loop. I now know the peaceful protest never stopped. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/28/20 6:52 p.m.

Mpr Facebook live shows a peaceful demonstration down town right now. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
5/28/20 8:00 p.m.

Dr. King was assasinated shortly after giving one of his speeches. Many of the injustices he fought against are still going on 50 years later. I'm not saying peaceful protests have no value; I'm saying people get fed up dealing with the same crap over and over again.

Fueled by Caffeine
5/28/20 8:07 p.m.
Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
5/28/20 8:20 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

A pissed off cop who knows he's going to jail, and probably has guns in the house. This could go real bad, real fast

Fueled by Caffeine
5/28/20 9:02 p.m.

Their is like 17 million riot cops outside the house from what I'm told.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/28/20 9:18 p.m.

The situation in Minneapolis happened a mile or so away from my house as the crow flies; I was going to run an errand to the local Office Depot this morning, but when I pulled in the parking lot I saw all its windows were busted out and it had been looted overnight...I decided I'm just going to hang around the house for a few days.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b3CI2s75AVxlYNXskznmXyuVBKW3Kw3evD2xnevDbKiW0o2u1JVXdTZXpiIN3Xtv