1 2 3 4 ... 10
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/20 8:21 p.m.

No, because it is a Ford, and after the debacle I had with the engine in my wife's car, I'm not really willing to give them another dime. 

Beyond that, I have a 4Runner with over 300k miles on it. When the wheels fall off of that, I'll likely replace the wheels and keep driving it.

Curtis73
Curtis73 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/20 11:18 a.m.
Hasbro said:
Datsun310Guy said:

No.  I thought there would be more excitement over bringing back the Ranger.  

Nobody I know has mentioned it.  Bronco will be the same. 

That's because they didn't bring back the Ranger -they just called a new model the Ranger. VERY sorry to agree with you that the Bronco will be the same.

Echoing the same thing... Ford slapped a truck together and called it a Ranger, but it's awful.  All of the magazines and reviews put it dead last even against a Colorado with its 10-year-old run.

Bronco will be the same.  They know that millions will line up to buy it just because it has the Bronco name on it.

Error404
Error404 Reader
3/3/20 11:28 a.m.

As a de facto rule, I don't get excited about new cars. With that being said, Ford has been dragging out this new Bronco thing for so long that I am past numb and into "don't give a flying..." territory. The idea is intriguing and I could see myself actually getting moderate usage out of one but the compromises to satisfy the modern consumer will probably irk me more than the rest of the car intrigues me. 

What are the odds they just remake an old Bronco without adding bluetooth 2nd row lumbar support synced to your weFord account? 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
3/3/20 11:29 a.m.
Error404 said:

What are the odds they just remake an old Bronco without adding bluetooth 2nd row lumbar support synced to your weFord account? 

Jonathan Ward and Bring a Trailer have those options. Wallet is the only limitation.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
3/3/20 11:33 a.m.
Error404 said:

As a de facto rule, I don't get excited about new cars. With that being said, Ford has been dragging out this new Bronco thing for so long that I am past numb and into "don't give a flying..." territory. 

This has been a textbook case of "How not to launch a car". It's just been years of the same 5 renderings and same 2 or 3 bits of generic specs and info regurgitated every month. Toyota did the same thing with the new Supra. How do you properly launch an enthusiast vehicle? Look at the Dodge Demon. I think we had a 22 page thread going deciphering each different little teaser that they leaked every week. It was always something different (the fender flares, the tires, the headlights) and had neat little easter eggs about other stuff (Like the license plate that was the displacement of the supercharger and the pounds of boost) and kept people talking.

Curtis73
Curtis73 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/20 11:53 a.m.
Error404 said:

As a de facto rule, I don't get excited about new cars. With that being said, Ford has been dragging out this new Bronco thing for so long that I am past numb and into "don't give a flying..." territory. The idea is intriguing and I could see myself actually getting moderate usage out of one but the compromises to satisfy the modern consumer will probably irk me more than the rest of the car intrigues me. 

Truth.  When I get in a friend's newer car, I have to take a 4-hour class just to operate half of the crap that's in it.  Then I have to fight with automatic high beams that blind everyone, automatic panic braking that tells me to panic when I shouldn't, and lane departure that vibrates my butt every time I get close to a line without my turn signal on.

No thanks.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/6/20 12:04 a.m.

A couple of new images were leaked of the 4 door and 2 door versions. I'm not going to link them here but you can find a story about it on that Jalop site. The pic of the 2 door shows steel wheels and unpainted fender flares. The roofs are removed in both pics and the 2 door shows a frameless half-door(?).

As someone who bought a brand new 2012 Wrangler Sport with hardly any options, I'm excited at the possibility of a stripper 2 door with the 2.3T and a 7 speed manual. Give me crank windows, manual soft top and removable doors and I'll be a happy camper.

If Ford can keep the entry price under control, I think they will have a serious contender to the Wrangler. If I can get a stripper 2 door for under $30k, I'd buy one tomorrow.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/20 7:20 a.m.
noddaz said:

My Bronco is so ugly...

The way things are going in car designs this may end up being the best looking photo of it. 

is this just going to be a rebodied explorer?  

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
3/6/20 7:50 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Well, I really like mine but I do agree that it could be lowered 1 to 2 inches.  Just ready to turn 6000 miles.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/6/20 7:55 a.m.
dean1484 said:

It appears to have a solid rear axle and the Explorer is independent, so while I'm sure it share some components, it doesn't look like a re-body job.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
3/6/20 8:45 a.m.

I won't be interested due to its price.  

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
3/6/20 8:52 a.m.
Ian F said:
dean1484 said:

It appears to have a solid rear axle and the Explorer is independent, so while I'm sure it share some components, it doesn't look like a re-body job.

It's based on the same frame as the Ranger. So solid rear IRS front, most likely. But more extensive than a "rebody."

Latest leaked photos:

4door:

2 door:

drainoil
drainoil Dork
3/6/20 10:21 a.m.

Such a high belt line.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/6/20 12:55 p.m.

I'll say I am glad they are building it. Who knows what future me might buy!

Current me wants to know if this manual trans will trickle down to the Ranger production lines. I am far more likely to buy a Ranger in the next couple years than a Bronco

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/6/20 6:26 p.m.

I'm only interested if it turns out to look exactly like the last full-size Bronco, which obviously it won't because that would be absurd.

What I'm saying is I only want to own one SUV, and I want that SUV to be a 1992-96 Bronco with the 351.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
3/6/20 7:16 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I'm with ya buddy.  

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/9/20 10:13 p.m.

Here we gooooooo!

Error404
Error404 Reader
3/9/20 10:49 p.m.

After the hype, that is both disappointing and exactly as expected. It will blend right in with traffic, except for the Ford-tastic headlights and requisite lightbars. I really can't put my finger on what I don't like about it other than it will blend right in, to repeat myself. And, in all seriousness, what kindergarten dropout designed those headlights? Are the blue oval and bowtie in a race to see who can win the JD Power and Ass. "Most Vain Design and Driver" award? 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
3/9/20 11:06 p.m.

Awesome,  I'm happy to see they're building this.  Also hoping for a Raptor version.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/9/20 11:17 p.m.

After sitting in a bunch of Rangers this weekend at the Houston Livestock Show, I'm really excited for this. The cab size on the Ranger was a revelation. The first truck in a while that I want. If the Bronco has the same size feel to it, I'm on board. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
3/9/20 11:44 p.m.

I likes the 2-door version better. Approach and departure angle yes. Looks like IFS and 4-link solid rear w/ coils from spy shots. Factory winch bumper. Removable doors and top if that's your bag. Yea, I'm interested but not a player. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
3/9/20 11:47 p.m.

Baby Bronco, callin' it Sport?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/9/20 11:52 p.m.

I'm in the excited camp. Not that I'm going to buy one new though, so my joy counts for very little. It's just nice to see a new offroad capable SUV come out. Future me will be very interested in buying used though laugh

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/10/20 12:02 a.m.

I like them. 

For some reason I look at it and think Rivian, which makes me wonder if there is a skateboard version coming soon. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/10/20 12:04 a.m.

In reply to fasted58 :

I had thought the two door version was going to be called the Sport.  We'll need to wait for an official announcement, maybe?  That view looks off for some reason.  Brings up memories of the mid-2000s Escape

1 2 3 4 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qak6ZXrof2YNvQYSpTHPYoxUBWvMBc9uG7RMQU6iifDAOikxIW1yp35wqjz63Hpr