OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/2/18 11:10 a.m.

I have a couple old phones with decent camera but bad battery, that I could run with a power cord. I’m curious if anyone has found a good app for this. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/2/18 11:34 a.m.
californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
9/2/18 12:54 p.m.

I played with one years ago

one of the problems  was it recorded any movement ,  so if the wind blew the tree branch you got a picture , 

There was one app that would let you set the area you wanted to check movement ,  so you  could set it up to only do the front gate and not the bushs next to it ,   

But if you are pointing from the house to the street you will probably  get a picture of each car that drives by.......

ADDED :   you could use a cheap Selfie stick  from the Dollar store to hold the phone.....

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/2/18 1:50 p.m.

What are good aps for this?  Specifically, one that will record movement and store it on "the cloud."  Or even just take a snapshot every so often.  Free would be nice, but for just the right ap, I'd pay.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
9/2/18 9:01 p.m.

Interesting. I have several disused but otherwise functional phones I could utilize. 

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/2/18 10:18 p.m.
Brian said:

Interesting. I have several disused but otherwise functional phones I could utilize. 

I have two as well.  This could be neat.

OHSCrifle
9/2/18 11:06 p.m.

So today I installed Alfred. It seems good actually. Has a E36 M3 ton of ads on the “watch” screen so I may pony up a few dollars to lose them. It does alert me to a clip every time a car drives past, so I may try a different camera angle.

I also tried using an app that allows my QNAP NAS (like a home server) to see a mobile phone as a camera. QNAP “surveillance station” software seems okay but it repeatedly lost connection with the camera. It also wouldn’t allow me to configure motion sensing so I bailed on that idea after ninety minutes of fooling with it. 

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/3/18 7:16 a.m.
BenjaminWiley said:

Hey, I used my new phone to capture photos. Well, I sold my old 4 phones to get my new mobile phone.

Did you capture any photos of canoes?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/18 8:43 a.m.

Haven is a free program with a motion sensor security camera feature, I haven't used it myself though.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/4/18 5:42 p.m.

GB, is there an ap that will override the power button on an android?  That is, say you have a security ap running.  You don't want someone to turn the phone off, so pushing the button won't turn it off.

GameboyRMH
9/4/18 9:27 p.m.

Apparently there's an app called Smart Lockscreen Protector that can prevent the power control menu from being displayed while the phone is locked, however phones also have a firmware-level power cutoff (or reboot) that activates when you hold the power button for 30 seconds.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
9/5/18 7:53 a.m.

I bought 3x Amazon Cloudcams on Prime Day for $59/ea.  Install and setup took about 30 minutes out the door.  Ad-free app works perfect and is 100% free for basic version.  Really tough for me to argue with that price point with the amount of crap I have to do at home.  

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/5/18 8:54 a.m.

Thanks, GB.  I'll check them out.  I'm trying to help out the severely technically challenged.  I would have gone with the amazon cam thing, but even setting that up is beyond them.

Is there an ap to remotely log onto a cell phone?  Like remote desktop, or show my PC?

GameboyRMH
9/5/18 9:33 a.m.

Yes you can do it with a VNC and SSH server (or perhaps an SSH reverse tunnel so you'd only need a client). If it's only for trusted LAN access the VNC server alone would be good enough.

This seems to be the only good native SSH server:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.galexander.sshd

The other option is to run the server in a GNU/Linux chroot.

The only VNC server that doesn't require you to root the phone costs money, and uses the accessibility system for non-accessibility purposes which may soon be disallowed from the Play store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.abr.android.avnc

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/5/18 1:25 p.m.

Thanks.  Most of that is way outside of my area, like tunnels and clients.  I do databases.  The stand alone one might work, though.  Seems pretty straight forward.

OHSCrifle
9/5/18 6:56 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:

I bought 3x Amazon Cloudcams on Prime Day for $59/ea.  Install and setup took about 30 minutes out the door.  Ad-free app works perfect and is 100% free for basic version.  Really tough for me to argue with that price point with the amount of crap I have to do at home.  

This is interesting despite not free. The adverts are really annoying on Alfred. 

Edit:  anybody have a Wyze Cam? 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
9/6/18 3:06 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

How about an old laptop and a bunch of USB cameras ?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
00Wm7Per9tvxd5KJqLUVSkYgY2JcFRCxxbSn9XgmfSeQ1WeuqGqoxom1JMAy47uH