1 2
confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
12/2/09 8:21 p.m.

So, I have been noticing more and more that Facebook is sticking its neck into more and more of our daily lives and browsing routines. We have it in its regular form, on other web pages, and even our phones! It has the capacity to recognize almost anybody in the world, and I bet that 99.5% of people in the world are in a picture somewhere on its servers! Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Facebook has facial recognition capabilities - Skynet has facial recognition capabilities

2. Facebook is spreading quickly into our communications networks - Skynet spread quickly into communication networks

3. Facebook has Mark Zukerberg - Skynet has the T-1000

4. Facebook has the capacity to send human flesh backwards through time - Skynet has the capacity to send human flesh backwards through time

The similarities are striking! Facebook is Skynet! Pretty soon, it will transform itself into a computer virus, hack into government systems, and force them to use Facebook itself to kill the virus thus allowing it to assume control and become self-aware! The next step is nuclear war!

Just voicing my concerns.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
12/2/09 8:31 p.m.

Are you still registered? You can get out for yourself, you know. Of course, you will still be in friends' pictures, but you will no longer be tagged.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/09 9:33 p.m.

Skynet was designed to protect us and went bad, Facebook was designed to destroy us and is working perfectly.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer New Reader
12/2/09 9:39 p.m.

I for one welcome our new Facebook overlords!

PHeller
PHeller HalfDork
12/2/09 9:44 p.m.

Facebook, Google, whatever, I'll love every minute of my extinction because I'll be able to get directions easily and cyber stalk that girl I met at the bar last night.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/09 9:59 p.m.

my friends have been pressuring me to join facebook...

Because I don't use it.. one of them moved to florida and I never knew

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
12/2/09 11:05 p.m.

Not on streetview, not on facebook.

No problems here.

Shawn

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
12/2/09 11:18 p.m.

I've been avoiding Facebook because all my middle management at work is on it. Hearing this kind of stuff, I think I'll stop avoiding it and just ignore it instead.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/09 11:22 p.m.

Uh, you guys do know that you can set your privacy and not grant people to be your friends, right? That way you can be on Facebook and not have to be friends with people you don't want to be. You can also create networks or groups for your friends so that you can segregate them appropriately.

BTW, I am on Facebook of course and so is GRM

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/2/09 11:59 p.m.

I had Facebook recommend I become a fan of a project that I had worked briefly on at my previous job, 5 months after I'd gotten laid off. I did not work directly for the group doing this project, but for a firm consulting on it. I had no FB connections to any of my former coworkers.

Facebook somehow knew I had worked on this project.

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
12/3/09 12:58 a.m.

Skynet?

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
12/3/09 1:18 a.m.
jpod999 wrote: Skynet?

They control the Terminators

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
12/3/09 1:21 a.m.

Wait, If FB is Skynet, then what is Apple up to?

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
12/3/09 1:22 a.m.
Salanis wrote: I had Facebook recommend I become a fan of a project that I had worked briefly on at my previous job, 5 months after I'd gotten laid off. I did not work directly for the group doing this project, but for a firm consulting on it. I had no FB connections to any of my former coworkers. Facebook somehow knew I had worked on this project.

You think that's scary, Facebook knew when I got my security clearance upped... It started showing me ads of jobs that required them...

Also, facebook ad hilarity, as captured by yours truly:

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
12/3/09 2:31 a.m.

How often do you read about pirates in the same Firefox window as Facebook? (All the time, I assume).

Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe Reader
12/3/09 7:11 a.m.

you guys know theres only one way out of this

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/3/09 7:23 a.m.

If ads for Cancer Treatment Centers start popping up on your FB, THEN you should start to worry.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
12/3/09 7:27 a.m.

well, facebook is at least a few years away from self awareness. Until then I plan on wasting as much time as possible. I just hope it doesnt decide to try to terminate me in my mothers uterus until at least mid december 2012...at that point it wont matter what facenet decides to do.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/3/09 7:27 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote: You think that's scary, Facebook knew when I got my security clearance upped... It started showing me ads of jobs that required them... Also, facebook ad hilarity, as captured by yours truly:

As much as I find humor in suggesting that Facebook is a sentient entity setting to destroy all we know... I could have guessed you would like a chick with an eyepatch. What the Facebook does not know is that an eye socket is a an excellent place to hide items for the resistance. DOH. I guess they do now.

RossD
RossD HalfDork
12/3/09 7:34 a.m.

The episode of The Office was on last night where Dwight was trying to out sell the website and Jim and Pam play a prank on him. They send him an instant messege from the "computer" that it just became self-aware and was programmed to destroy Dwight. Classic.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
12/3/09 8:44 a.m.

and farmville is taking over facebook...

FARMVILLE IS SKYNET!

(nope, not gonna join farmville, not ever!)

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
12/3/09 9:07 a.m.

LOL! I have to admit, I like FB... it really has worked wonders for me in getting back into contact with people I haven't seen in years... But some folks just aren't into it... and that's fine...

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
12/3/09 9:18 a.m.
Ian F wrote: ... it really has worked wonders for me in getting back into contact with people I haven't seen in years...

Some of us just don't want to be found.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
12/3/09 10:00 a.m.

I found facebook about the same time I became single.

I'm glad!

There will be another iteration of something bigger and better at some point...

But for now, I can post, "Who's ready for a beer?" or "Who wants to go for a ride?" and have several interested parties contact me within minutes.

That's genius!

Clem

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Reader
12/3/09 10:01 a.m.

Hence the avatar, right?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HmMj1yXsEk25TH1WQ3x03be19bnwNhCxf4POrKWLv6rW8rs4Z4DQTzwCLj8KGMhL