1 2
dunruhroy
dunruhroy New Reader
8/9/18 10:31 a.m.

I’m a believer in the thought that common sense is learned. I know I haven’t always used it but it seems like some people just ain’t got it. Is it a disconnection from the real world or what is it?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
8/9/18 10:35 a.m.

Common sense died because it got gamed too much. It is too predictable... If I know what people who operate on common sense are going to do in a given situation, then I can get them to do my bidding to my advantage. Therefore, it makes no sense to follow common sense.

Does that make sense?

Pete

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/9/18 10:38 a.m.

With respect, this thread has all the hallmarks of asking for a conflagration.

Everybody ever through history has become convinced at some point that we're sliding downhill in one way or another.

It's too general to be useful; it's a request for folks to pull out whatever gripe they've got. Then we can all have a big argument about What The Real Problem Is. At some point it'll become political, or about someone's mom.

May I suggest that you post whatever behavior most recently set you off in the Minor Rant Thread and call it a day?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/9/18 10:41 a.m.

I like Einstein's definition of common sense:

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/04/29/common-sense/

People have been acquiring different forms of "common sense" of varying efficacy throughout history.

dunruhroy
dunruhroy New Reader
8/9/18 10:53 a.m.

In reply to Ransom :

Kinda like I said earlier... maybe I didn’t use common sense in starting the thread in the first place. laugh

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/9/18 11:10 a.m.

Every generation has said the same thing for the last 100 generations on one form or another. What is common knowledge for baby boomers is lost on gen x'ers. What Gen x'rs take as common knowledge millenials are clueless about. I guarantee that whatever generation comes next the millenials will say the same thing. Probably. If we're lucky. 

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/9/18 11:45 a.m.

In reply to dunruhroy :

You just made me laugh out loud. Thank you.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/9/18 11:46 a.m.

I thought common sense is sense that is common to everyone there. 

Like if you go to the Kalahari Desert all the Bushmen know where to find water.  Its common sense.  To Bushmen.

Me, not so much.   

But if we bring the Bushman to our world he probably won't know our common sense. 

Like put to gasoline in the car before going on a long trip and that the zoo is not where you go for groceries.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
8/9/18 11:49 a.m.

Who today still knows a button hook?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/9/18 11:49 a.m.

These damn kids these days.  Where are the hooped skirts?  Where are the ties?

This place is going to heck.... and what is with all the swearing!?!

- wogogogogogogoogoogoog (time travel sound effect)

What with little people?  They no use rock, use spear!  This place soon be big Monmouth poop!!!!

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
8/9/18 11:57 a.m.

In reply to JamesMcD :

Button hook as in the turn while pulling a trailer (vs. Jug handle), or button hook the handy tool for fastening buttons on shirts/shoes etc.?

Related, i wish people in passenger cars (this includes soccer mom suburbans) would stop swinging out to make a turn.  Your car (/truck/suv) isnt pulling a trailer, you dont need the extra room to make your turn, and you're now obstructing an additional lane of traffic. 

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
8/9/18 12:30 p.m.

I’ve said it a lot, even the “Greatest Generations” parent thought they were a bunch of lazy terds. 

And music... I get so mad when guys my age bitch about new music. There is so much good new music!  I think more good music now than when I was a teenager listening to Pearl Jam and stone temple pilots and guns and roses and whatever else bottled bullE36 M3 I thought was good. berkeley I wish the black angels were around back then. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/9/18 12:41 p.m.

Too often, common sense is overridden by "I want to do this, so  ...."

dunruhroy
dunruhroy New Reader
8/9/18 12:54 p.m.

In reply to Ransom :

my pleasure! smiley

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/9/18 1:41 p.m.

I believe that “common sense” is a term that was coined by an economist to describe cases where incorrect ideas are quickly adopted by the masses because they appear inherently logical and fit into their general paradigms well; similar to the principle that drives conformation bias.

An example is the myth that Eskimos have 64 words for snow…they actually have far fewer but people quickly globed onto 64 because it aligned nicely with the reasoning that snow is very important to them so they are highly specific in describing it.

BTW...

I once encountered a statement about how kids today have no respect for their parents and how they have horrible taste in everything from music to clothing and how terrible the world is going to be when they come into power.

At the end of the statement, the reader learns that it was written by Aristotle around 330 B.C. - hahaha

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/9/18 2:39 p.m.
Ransom said:

With respect, this thread has all the hallmarks of asking for a conflagration.

Everybody ever through history has become convinced at some point that we're sliding downhill in one way or another.

It's too general to be useful; it's a request for folks to pull out whatever gripe they've got. Then we can all have a big argument about What The Real Problem Is. At some point it'll become political, or about someone's mom.

May I suggest that you post whatever behavior most recently set you off in the Minor Rant Thread and call it a day?

By clicking this thread you've involved yourself in the discussion. Sorry.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
8/9/18 2:58 p.m.

It is far easier to identify a lack of common sense than to define what exactly it is. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/9/18 3:08 p.m.

Didn't George Carlin have a bit about imagining how stupid the average person was and then think about the fact that half of the people are even dumber than that?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/9/18 4:00 p.m.

Common sense is timeless.  Then again is it?  

Did my grandmother know to every once in a while back up her word documents?   

Do I know anything about getting embers in my eye when riding steam locomotives?  Common sense tells you to keep your head inside.   

I have a 15 year old daughter - I’m learning the definition of common sense.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/9/18 4:55 p.m.

Never underestimate the intelligence of the common man....

The fact that you are reading this likely means you are in the top 10% of education / intelligence (worldwide).  Maybe 1%....

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
8/9/18 5:05 p.m.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that removal of accountability is making people less intelligent. Instead of suing McDonald's for making coffee hot enough to burn skin, maybe just accept the fact that hot coffee is hot and that people shouldn't spill it on themselves.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/9/18 5:37 p.m.
G_Body_Man said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that removal of accountability is making people less intelligent. Instead of suing McDonald's for making coffee hot enough to burn skin, maybe just accept the fact that hot coffee is hot and that people shouldn't spill it on themselves.

I understand your point, but that example is not a good one:

https://www.caoc.org/?pg=facts

(it's more a case of a very arrogant corporation, than a whiny old lady)

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
8/9/18 5:58 p.m.
G_Body_Man said:

Instead of suing McDonald's for making coffee hot enough to burn skin, 

That happened something like THIRTY YEARS AGO. How have we survived this long? Most of our examples of the world going to E36 M3 are anecdotes, talking points, hyperbole or outright lies.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/9/18 6:50 p.m.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
8/9/18 7:01 p.m.

Is it just me or is common sense going by the wayside?

It's just you 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ssf5xHAufFK7O9UyytgiI1s23S5nIe8MbNeklvfgYlzy94BE9WzP4rLpX8U9dFd3